Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

John Carter (of Mars)

Does this look as bad as I'm dreading?

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/joh...r-trailer/3630

Because if this is supposed to be Tars Tarkas...

Jar-Jar-Shrek by the_junk_monkey, on Flickr
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; July 15th, 2011 at 04:01 PM.

Goblin Princess Teresa Edgerton's Avatar
    The trailer seemed slow to me. I did appreciate that it didn't try to overwhelm me with loud noises and frantic action, as most trailers do (sometimes they move so fast that I can't focus my eyes and it all passes in a blur -- maybe that's just old age), but, on the other hand, it did make me wonder if that was because they didn't have enough exciting material in the whole movie to make a decent trailer.

Or maybe they don't yet? How close is this movie to being completed?

I am informed that this is Sola. Not Tars Tarkas.

A Disney film.

About John Carter: Warlord of Mars.

Oh boy

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Evidently this is a White Ape (and John Carter):

Does that make anyone feel any better?

Mark
    Mark

So that's where my mum's been! I didn't know she was a film star.

A bit big, but least it has the right number of arms.

Blog Entries
    Must admit, I quite the look of this one...

but it's what they do with them that counts...

Mark
    Mark

Blog Entries
    I just finished the first 2 books in the Barsoom series, and then found out that there is a movie comming out next year. I can't wait to see it. But i'v avoided watching the trailer, cus i'm scared it'll suck. I hope it's good, and they make more. (11 books in the series) I'll give it a go...maybe i'm nieve...but i'm hopefull.

Doomfarer
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael V. R. View Post
    I just finished the first 2 books in the Barsoom series, and then found out that there is a movie comming out next year. I can't wait to see it. But i'v avoided watching the trailer, cus i'm scared it'll suck. I hope it's good, and they make more. (11 books in the series) I'll give it a go...maybe i'm nieve...but i'm hopefull.
    If you have read the first two you might as well go and read number three because it is a continuous of book two.

As for the pics of Green Martians it seems that their tusks have been removed and I don't think much of the design of the airships, more WW2 bomber than naval ship in the sky, which is how I see them. Still, neither point is going to stop me seeing it.

One of the few things I thought that the Asylum version, A Princess of Mars, a couple of years ago DID get right was the airships. Bloody awful in every other respect the airships looked like I had imagined them from the descriptions in the books. Many people said the design was too close to Jabba's Sail Barge from Return of the Jedi but who do you think the designers of that film were homaging? (A circle completed by Traci Lords (as Dejah Thoris) wearing a Princess Leia slave costume for the whole show.)

Last edited by JunkMonkey; January 29th, 2012 at 02:38 PM.

Doomfarer
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    One of the few things I thought that the Asylum version, A Princess of Mars, a couple of years ago DID get right was the airships.
    Whilst I would not wish to comment on the artwork of the Asylum version, the plot turned me right off it.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    (A circle completed by Traci Lords (as Dejah Thoris) wearing a Princess Leia slave costume for the whole show.)
    For any one on the real Barsoom even a Princess Leia outfit is being overdressed. And that applies for the girls as well.

I have looked at the John Carter website and have decided that my best approach to the film is the same one that I applied to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, ignore the fact that I have read the book(s) and see the film for what it is. Hopefully, John Carter will work equally as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    Whilst I would not wish to comment on the artwork of the Asylum version, the plot turned me right off it.
    Oh, avoid it. It really is a piece of ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    I have looked at the John Carter website and have decided that my best approach to the film is the same one that I applied to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, ignore the fact that I have read the book(s) and see the film for what it is. Hopefully, John Carter will work equally as well.
    I suppose that's a pretty good rule of thumb for any film adaptation of a favourite book.

Blog Entries
    Good: The Kerry Conran (he of SkyCaptain fame)/Universal version, in a pitch trailer: http://www.forcesofgeek.com/2012/01/...=Google+Reader

How I wish this one were made!

Bad:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/02/new...-giggle-worthy
    *Hope (see earlier posts) comes crashing down*

Mark
    Mark

I'm a little puzzled as to why Mars appears to be one of the moons of Saturn in the first one but it looks like it could have been a lot better than what we're getting.

I've just lowered my expectation levels a couple of dozen notches.

I'm now also betting there's a song in it. I mean Dejah Thoris 'Princess of Mars' is now officially... wait for it... a Disney Princess after all. Something with her leaning out of a tall ruined tower, singing of her love for this rough stranger while two moons are reflected in a limpid pool. Enter a frolicking Woola (voiced by Eddie Murphy) splashing through the water...

I feel sick...