Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    I'm now also betting there's a song in it. I mean Dejah Thoris 'Princess of Mars' is now officially... wait for it... a Disney Princess after all. Something with her leaning out of a tall ruined tower, singing of her love for this rough stranger while two moons are reflected in a limpid pool. Enter a frolicking Woola (voiced by Eddie Murphy) splashing through the water...
    Officially a Disney Princess? Like Rapunzel?

I'm finding that hard to believe.

She's a princess. In a Disney film. Ergo...

I can see it all now. The merchandising! The lunchboxes! The spin-off straight to DVD 'all new adventures with all her new friends!'...

I should drink less coffee.

No That's not how it works.

No That's not how it works.
    Ah, A secret sorority, the membership of which can only be gained after strange initiation ceremonies and a vigorous vetting by the marketing department.

Singing:
    "Oh, John Carter can't you see,
    Now that you are a part-a me."

And what is it about Disney's marketing department that loves the phrase 'New Friends'? Tars Tarkas isn't a 'New Friend'; he's a twelve foot high, four armed murderous bastard. With tusks.

I hate Disney.
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; February 3rd, 2012 at 04:00 AM.

Shadow's Lure (June 2011)
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, I loved the books as a kid, but I won't be seeing this.

I don't know, seems like this may be worth a look...

Doomfarer

I can see it all now. The merchandising! The lunchboxes! The spin-off straight to DVD 'all new adventures with all her new friends!'...

I should drink less coffee.
    I can't see too many little girls being dressed up like her, at least in Britain with the rows of over sexualising children's clothing.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well after the major downturner above, this review sounds a lot more positive:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...rter-week-geek

Am feeling a lot more positive about this movie, though it still doesn't match what I think of as 'my' Barsoom. Next week!

Mark
    Mark

Doomfarer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Well after the major downturner above, this review sounds a lot more positive:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...rter-week-geek
    Some words from the review:

> "planetary romance" that hasn't been popular for well over half a century
    Remember when they stopped making Westerns? Then started again?

> populated by bizarre creatures
    Lets get rid of the creatire from Narnia and Lord of the Rings as well whilst we are about it.

> mind of a writer apparently endowed the ungrounded imagination of a small child.
    Kids have great ideas which if we add some romance and sex to them make fantastic stories.

OK so I don't think that it is going to be the greatest film in the world. Howwver, it looks like being head and shoulders above a lot of the tripe put out today.

PS A pity the writer did post their name so I would run it through the web to discover what tosh they though was good.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My thinking there Michael was that this is a UK national newspaper where the usual response to SF is a lot lot worse.

Viewed in that context, this is a good review.

OK so I don't think that it is going to be the greatest film in the world. Howwver, it looks like being head and shoulders above a lot of the tripe put out today.
    It's not perfect, but it is entertaining and could be a lot worse is the general impression I'm getting here in the UK.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    PS A pity the writer did post their name so I would run it through the web to discover what tosh they though was good.
    He did, it's at the side. Here's a list of his articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    > mind of a writer apparently endowed the ungrounded imagination of a small child.
    Kids have great ideas which if we add some romance and sex to them make fantastic stories.

Most kids of my acquaintance, mine included have fertile but utterly undisciplined imaginations, their 'Let's Pretend' play is often vastly complicated in detail but very simple in progression - and in this respect ERB is a very childlike writer who sets his characters going through the same sets of hoops and meeting the same situations time and time again with great attention to pointless detail.

Ferinstance: I've just finished Llana of Gathol and he's always stopping the action to tell us what the time is and how that relates to Jarsoomian (Earth) time -
    It was exactly the 8th zode which is the equivalent of 10:48 P.M. Earth time. By midnight Llana of Gathol would have achieved invisibility
    Okay, part of that is padding (of which he is a master, "The incomparable Dejah Thoris" takes twice as many words as "My wife" and every opportunity he gets, ERB reels off people's lineage and ranks and titles. And a lot of it is laziness. Llana of Gathol is essentially four near identical shorter stories strung together with a minimum of editing (the same things being described within pages with almost identical phrases). He's not a complex writer. Or even a good one.

But in general, I'm with the Hobbit. Though, it must be said, The Guardian is more liberally inclined and knowledgeable about SF than most of the UK newspapers. I took that to be a good review. Made me a little less sceptical.

Oh, avoid it. It really is a piece of ****.

I suppose that's a pretty good rule of thumb for any film adaptation of a favourite book.
    I agree, we just have to wait and see. You have to keep in mind that this was ERB's first pro writing gig so the material is a little flimsy. But it is a good rule of thumb to be wary of anything Disney does.

Mike

Doomfarer
    . Llana of Gathol is essentially four near identical shorter stories strung together with a minimum of editing (the same things being described within pages with almost identical phrases). He's not a complex writer.
    He does this an awful lot on his Venus series as well. If it was not for Wizard of Venus I would have probably cleared my copies.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post

I like that they didn't even attempt to give this sword anything resembling an edge....