How do you fix wrinkled pages damaged by water?

I have a valuable book that has one page that's fairly wrinkled near the top and I want to fix this. What kind of results can I expect? Will I actually be able to get it completely flat again?

Would using an iron not be your best bet? Perhaps on the steam setting it will soften the pages and then they can dry flat again with the heat. Have never attempted this myself though. In theory it sounds good, wouldn't you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty Mike View Post
    Would using an iron not be your best bet? Perhaps on the steam setting it will soften the pages and then they can dry flat again with the heat. Have never attempted this myself though. In theory it sounds good, wouldn't you agree?
    I would try that on a book I didn't care about before I tried it on one I did care about.

Locked in the Golden Cage HellsGuardian's Avatar
    Don't you iron paper inbetween two layers of card to prevent damage?

I'd cover it with a towel or something similar unless you plan on hosting a book burning. Don't hold the iron in one place too long, either.

I assume I would need to wet the page again, but how do I go about doing that? Do I just randomly dab water around the spot, let it dry a little, and then start ironing?

I would either find something that would spray a very fine mist of water to wet it or actually wet whatever you're going to use as a buffer between the page and the iron, wring that out enough so some moisture will transfer but not enough to get the page sopping, then place it against the page.

Thinking in terms of how paper behaves with wet-folding for origami, just taking a vaguely wet paper towel and rubbing it on the paper to slight dampness is usually sufficient to liquify the glue enough for easy shaping. Once it's wet and then dried again without any sort of shaping it can be a little more complicated, though, as the fibers in paper generally run mainly in one direction and thus the paper wrinkles in one direction only if left to dry on its own. I'm not actually sure what luck you'll have getting all that back into a smooth sheet.

Be sure to use very, very low heat on the iron. I'd be curious what luck you have with this.