Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Rogue Warrior
    I still need to read WMF, and reread TNOTW. I dont know if I like Kvothe or not. Excellent story telling, and I been trying not to look at spoilers, but there are way more clues & secrets etc, like ASOIF then I'd realized, I remember the first time I seen the theory thread over on westeros, I was blown away at how much there is going on, and how much I missed.

I'm starting to think that Auri is more then she seems. I wonder if Kvothe tricked into betraying Auri to her death by Denna would have enough power to cause him to flee events to the Inn? What could Auri be? The moon?

Damn the torpedoes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinner View Post
    If you loved the trial then you must have run across some info that I didn't have in my version of the book. It seemed to me that the book says there was a trial and that Kvothe used some sort of amazing self defense tactic to save himself. But no details at all that I remember. Seemed like a teaser that Rothfuss would come back to later, but he never did. There were certainly enough rambling pages to have devoted another page to the trial. Maybe he will get back to it in some way in the next book.

Edited to add: The trial I wanted more info about was in WMF so maybe belongs in the other thread. Still hoping Rothfuss deems it worthy of dealing with at some point in the third book.
    AmethystOrator was kidding. You didn't "miss" any details in your read. However, you are unlikely to get any more than what was in the book.
    Spoiler:
    It's not that Rothfuss was teasing you necessarily, but that 1) you get the main description of the trial in the frame story with Chronicler at the inn, and 2) Kvothe is telling the story, and he's only telling Chronicler, i.e. us, what he feels is pertinent. So thus, skipping over the entire exciting journey between the University and meeting up with the Maer, with pirates and shipwrecks, is entirely skipped over. You should read Jo Walton's read through on Tor.com for some of the narrative tricks that Rothfuss has used.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal atkins View Post
    I'm starting to think that Auri is more then she seems. I wonder if Kvothe tricked into betraying Auri to her death by Denna would have enough power to cause him to flee events to the Inn? What could Auri be? The moon?
    My fiancee noticed that she was similar to one of the original Amyr as described in Skarpi's story. I wonder if anyone else has voiced this theory or is the lovely Jess onto something new here? That would be pretty interesting if she was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinner View Post
    If you loved the trial then you must have run across some info that I didn't have in my version of the book. It seemed to me that the book says there was a trial and that Kvothe used some sort of amazing self defense tactic to save himself. But no details at all that I remember. Seemed like a teaser that Rothfuss would come back to later, but he never did. There were certainly enough rambling pages to have devoted another page to the trial. Maybe he will get back to it in some way in the next book.

Edited to add: The trial I wanted more info about was in WMF so maybe belongs in the other thread. Still hoping Rothfuss deems it worthy of dealing with at some point in the third book.
    We read the same trial. Rothfuss has said that he did write out at least one of the trial and/or the sea voyage (I forget which and it might have been both), but it/they were cut from the book. I enjoyed these on a more meta level. Some readers have complained about how much "bloat" there is in these books, in the descriptions of Kvothe's classes and some of his "side" adventures. By writing the trial and sea voyage this way, Rothfuss proves that he absolutely could have made these books much shorter (by writing other scenes in the style of these two), or conversely made them quite a bit larger (by expanding these two stories), but that he purposely and consciously did not. They help argue, imo, that the rest of the stories there are there for a reason and it's incumbent upon the readership to discover why they are present.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal atkins View Post
    I'm starting to think that Auri is more then she seems.
    Yes. Definitely.

I wonder if Kvothe tricked into betraying Auri to her death by Denna would have enough power to cause him to flee events to the Inn?
    I don't think that that will be what happens, but if it were, then it could be enough to cause him to flee to this new life.

What could Auri be? The moon?
    Spoiler:
    Possibly an angel or amyr

Quote Originally Posted by Farragut View Post
    AmethystOrator was kidding.
    No. AmethystOrator was in no way, shape, or form "kidding".

Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    My fiancee noticed that she was similar to one of the original Amyr as described in Skarpi's story. I wonder if anyone else has voiced this theory or is the lovely Jess onto something new here?
    A good catch. Even if others have noticed this (and they have), imo anyone who notices these sorts of things on their own deserves as much credit as whoever noticed it first.

That would be pretty interesting if she was right.
    Yup. Speaking of interesting things involving Auri (and there are several), it's worth mentioning imo that

Spoiler:
    Taborlin the Great was given a key, coin and candle. And Auri gives Kvothe a...key, coin and candle.

In case anyone is interested -- I just found out that there is a new audio version of NOTW, with a new narrator. The original version was recorded by Nick Podehl, and I was never too thrilled with his recording. The new version is done by Rupert Degas, a British actor and narrator who (amongst other things) has recorded several books by Murakami and Mervyn Peake.

I'm assuming this new recording is for British release, dunno for sure. Just thought I'd spread the word around!

Rogue Warrior
    I've checked out some of the spoiler threads over on Westeros on this series, and I'm like Good God! I didn't see all this stuff! I just didn't read that deep into it, like the first time I seen the theory threads over there, I mean these people pick these apart like it was the Holy Bible! lol Good job y'all, makes we wanna start over.