September 2011 Fantasy Discussion Nominations

Hi all,

Time for some nominations for a September discussion book. Here's the "rules":

1. Everyone can nominate one book and second a reasonably small number of other books.
    2. Books must be available new in US and UK (I just check the two Amazons for this). They should also be in a format other than hardcover, so as to keep costs down.
    3. Books must be standalone or book 1 in a series (usually not a problem in SF).
    4. They can't have been book club books before. The list of previous discussions can be found here.

Vellum by Hal Duncan.

has been discussed on these boards, but would like to do so more in-depth / with a broader audience

Cheers,

Sfinx.

Kim Newman's Anno Dracula? It was recently reissued by Titan Books, so it should be eligible for the discussion (If I remember correctly, the July fantasy book is out of print, so it shoudn't mean AD is disqualified).

We've also had a recent review of it, so it'd be the perfect time.

I would have put money on Vellum having been done before, but it looks like it hasn't, so that's okay. And Anno Dracula is available new in US and UK markets, so it's also fine.

(And though it doesn't matter in this case, let's not use Dragonsbane as a precedent, as it was only a slip-up by your friendly book club mod....)

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    (And though it doesn't matter in this case, let's not use Dragonsbane as a precedent, as it was only a slip-up by your friendly book club mod....)
    I wasn't having a go, Erfy, I just wasn't sure if it was in print in the US of Eh?.

I would second Vellum, since I'd love to discuss it, but I don't think I want to read the bloody thing again yet. Sometime, but not yet (particularly because I think it really needs Ink afterwards, which makes it twice the undertaking).

So I'll second Anno Dracula for now...

Not a lot of life to this thread this month, so what do we think of doing Vellum this month (as a number of people around the forum seem to be talking about reading it soon) and Anno Dracula next month, since it's October and it's a vampire book...and we're doing a vampire book this month with Necroscope)?

That's a good idea, Erf. Anno Dracula would be better suited for a near-Hallowe'en read, plus you're right about the themes.

Agree with Anno Dracula; it's been on my to-read list for a while.

Not sure if Vellum will be a worthy read from some of the reviews I've read (don't know till I try though).