Thread: RIP Jack Vance

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

RIP Jack Vance

Hearing of Jack's death a couple of days ago: http://www.jackvance.com/

Jack Vance passed away at home on the evening of Sunday May 26, 2013, ending a long, rich and productive life. Recognized most widely as an author, family and friends also knew a generous, large-hearted, rugged, congenial, hard-working, optimistic and unpretentious individual whose curiosity, sense of wonder and sheer love of life were an inspiration in themselves. Author, friend, father and grandfather – there will never be another like Jack Vance.
    VISIT FOREVERNESS TO POST IN MEMORIAM
    foreverness.jackvance.com

Sad news. Jack was a legend.

M
    Mark

The only Vance I've read so far is the Dying Earth series, and that was just in the past year. Those are wonderful stories, and I expect I'll be reading more Vance in the future.

--Dave

A long, prolific life, and an elegant man. Thanks for the stories, Jack!

Blog Entries
    His Big Planet books had style, especially Showboat World.

Wow, I thought he had passed away a long time ago. Everything I read hear and other places all talked about his long ago works like The Dying Earth (I have a copy from the 60's I think but I can't check at the moment). I guess assumptions are just what the old saw calls them, make an ass out of u and i.

He was a king and by all accounts a nice guy. He inspired a great many authors. And he left us many stories.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There's a bit of debate on the interwebs about how influential Jack was to other authors. Names mentioning him as an influence are George RR Martin, Robert Silverberg, Dan Simmons, Elizabeth Moon, Neil Gaiman, Tanith Lee, Glen Cook, Jeff Vandermeer, Tanith Lee, Michael Shea... and quite a few others.

His stories are lyrical and often quite arch. Having had a bit of a reread last couple of days, you can forget sometimes how much.

And as well as The Dying Earth tales, there's Lyonesse, which I think is a brilliant fantasy. Review here.

M.
    Mark

I've only read City of the Chasch and Emphyrio, but the latter is one of my favaourites of all time. Just bought Dying Earth the other day by chance.

A great writer, sad to know he's gone

I've actually never read any Vance yet, but I've got Tales of the Dying Earth sitting in my bookcase so I'll try and get to it soon. I know I'm just repeating what others here have said, but I've read numerous obituaries over the past week and what really seems to come across is how much of a nice bloke he was, and how much he inspired so many other great authors with his stories. The fact that he was so highly regarded not just by his many many fans but by his peers seems to be a telling testimonial to his lasting influence and popularity. And we'll always have his stories, that can inspire and be enjoyed by generations to come.

Science-Fantasy Zealot symbolhunter's Avatar
    How Sad. Jack Vance was one of the great Golden Age writers. Still, he left behind a wonderful legacy of fantasy and science fiction. May he Rest In Peace.