Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you like Stephan, think you'll like Sparth (nicolas bouvier) who seems similar to me.

Some of his examples on his website are very similar in composition to me.

From the US edition of Paul McAuley's The Quiet War:

Mark
    Mark

from

I was going a hunting through my Asher tonight for that very purpose. I like the Sparth stuff. That acrylics?

Guys, please don't link from non-image hosting sites. I've seen some from Goodreads, some from Amazon, and one from Jon Sullivan's own site. These topics can be a little wonky when it comes to copyright infringement, so we don't need to make it any worse by piggy-backing from other people's sites. Save it to your PC, upload it to imageshack/PhotoBucket and post it that way. Those sites exist for it.

I like this cover ALOT, it has some very important elements for selling the book:
    1. The image is very suggestive of what's inside - OOH A human-looking skeleton on the moon!
    2. Quote from Isaac Asimov comparing the book to none other than Arthur C. Clarke
    3. Tagline that is very inviting: A Novel about Man's Place in the Universe

I've got the omnibus which contains this book. The cover is not quite as good as the above, though effective enough with the spaceship in the corner and the all-important words that would entice Omnibus-fan PeterWilliam "THREE NOVELS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE":

More Hogan

psik

Hobbit; honestly I didn't know who John Harris was. I'm new to the whole SF thing and is always good to discover new artists, books, etc.. Some of these artists are very talented it makes me want to buy the books.. Lol
    Last edited by SaltatrixTonsa; August 5th, 2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: I hate typing on my iphone!!

Vernor Vinge's cover is nice:

That Vinge looks even better in person. I'm debating whether or not to read it since it has been about a decade since I read A Fire Upon the Deep (which I liked) and I didn't care for A Deepness in the SKy. Here's some other pretty pictures:

The premise on the following book is interesting - Military SF where the special ops soldiers are wizards. An ARC (without the eye-catching art from Michael Komarck) arrived yesterday:

for John Joseph Adams's forthcoming Military SF themed anthology:

Whether we're talking about the covers or the stories behind 'em, they just don't make 'em like this anymore:

Saw this the other day for Seed by Rob Ziegler. Quite the eye catcher imo:

I remember this style of art being what first drew me to those beat-up paperbacks on the rotating racks in my library's science fiction section.

That's a pretty cool one, Rich. As I said earlier in the topic, it's such a shame that covers like that aren't really popular any more.

I've not been cover hunting in a while, but I've found some ones I do like.

Firstly, I'm going with a Dan Dos Santos cover. Anyone who's followed my art-related posts will know I'm a big fan of Dan. This is the piece he did for the book I reviewed recently, A Beautiful Friendship, written by David Weber and published by Baen.

It sums the book up really well, I think, and I can't imagine Stephanie looking any different.

Now, my next two choices are a bit odd, even for me. I'm really not a fan of 3D art covers, because more often than not they remind me of self-pubbed books or they're just really daft. I came across an artist called Kurt Miller, whom I'm sure many will recognise as an artist for Baen. You might not know his name, but chances are you've seen his covers - In fact, Rob posted one very recently - and possibly giggled at them.

My first choice is one of his 3D covers, and it's for one of Elizabeth Moon's Serrano books, I believe it's The Serrano Succession, again published by Baen.

I think it's just fairly clear visually, and that it looks like a sci-fi book, which some books just don't.

My second choice is rather more striking. I saw it on Amazon and I knew I just had to have this book. It's called Ragnarok, and it's written by Patrick A. Vanner, published by Baen once again. You cannot miss this cover!

It's like what'd happen if you distilled a Michael Bay film into one picture.

That Seranno cover got me thinking about the original covers to Robert Buettner's Orphanage books, which I thought really popped:

and

Compare with the redesigned covers, which are good, but something about the originals works better for me.

More here.

The new version, to me, looks as if it should be a Tom Clancy book rather than a sci-fi novel.