Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Omen Machine - Anyone here going to read it?

I just got an email that included a link to some info about the pending release of The Omen Machine. I read a few of this series several years ago but became annoyed by some of the 'preachy', incongruous, monologues from the main character about private enterprise and such. I admit I did not finish the series and so am not in a position to judge the series. For those of you who had the fortitude to get through the series... is The Omen Machine a book you are looking forward to reading?
    Part of the reason I ask is that when I walked away from this series before I next read Game of Thrones, then poured through the next 3 in that series. Then I read Abercombie's Best Served Cold then attacked the First Law series with relish, Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, Sanderson's Mistborn Series, and a few other things. The transition I made before from Goodkind to Martin, Abercrombie, Sanderson, and Lynch was like a shot of steroids to my desire to read. These books and authors energized me to the genre and I have been ripping through many other authors, series, and stand-alones since. My concern is this... if leaving Goodkind and finding those writers to be so compelling would it be a huge mistake to bounce out of A Dance with Dragons to give Goodkind another try? It could be that those authors I mentioned have energized me to the genre to the point that I would perhaps enjoy Goodkind more than I did before... OR ... they may have spoiled me in a way that will make me dislike Goodkind's story and Richard Rahl even more than I did before. Anyone in a similar situation?
    Last edited by Twinner; August 1st, 2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Thanks for the correction!

If you're anything like me, you'll think about buying it, someone'll put you off (Either with a comment here or a review), and then you'll still think about it. All I'll say is if you're considering it this much, as you must be to write such a post, then hold off until the paperback release or borrow it from a friend or library. That way you won't get stung as much if it turns out to be bad.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Corrected that title.

I was one of the few around here that thought the first few books in the series were OK, and quite enjoyed reading them up to about Book 5 when it jumped the shark and I never went back.

I still have a copy of The Law of Nines which I bought for 1 around somewhere: it was a weak moment. Read the first couple of pages out of interest but then never went back to read further. Actually I've got copies of most of the other books too - but it's not looking like I'll get to them any time soon.

Think I'd agree with Loerwyn here: might be worth borrowing or trying it out before purchasing. I'm sure there'll be samples around as we get nearer to the release date.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Corrected that title.
    Haha, that was driving me crazy.

I was one of the few around here that thought the first few books in the series were OK, and quite enjoyed reading them up to about Book 5 when it jumped the shark and I never went back.

I still have a copy of The Law of Nines which I bought for £1 around somewhere: it was a weak moment. Read the first couple of pages out of interest but then never went back to read further. Actually I've got copies of most of the other books too - but it's not looking like I'll get to them any time soon.

Think I'd agree with Loerwyn here: might be worth borrowing or trying it out before purchasing. I'm sure there'll be samples around as we get nearer to the release date.

Mark
    I'm with you Mark, I read the first three and thought they were good (at the time, I was 14). I think it was Temple of the Winds (?) that I got totally disenfranchised and never looked back.

-Justin

I actually have two copies of Debt of Bones - One in Legends I, one standalone.

It'd be worth keeping an eye on Tor.com, as they often post previews or first chapters of books.

Edit: If you're in the US, Tor/Forge have a giveaway going. I must admit I like the covers.
    Last edited by Loerwyn; August 1st, 2011 at 03:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    I know we have a fair few Goodkind-haters on the Forum, and to be honest, posts about his books can bring out the WORST in members, but like you've said, Justin, they're not a bad start to the Fantasy genre, in the way that Terry Brooks' Shannara books are, or Eddings' series or Feist's Magician series.

It's just that there's better stuff out there, and I think a lot of people move on, so to speak.

Mark
    Mark

I enjoyed Sword of Truth, particularly because what most people complain about I find to be quite superficial and/or doesn't bother me.

Anyways, I won't be buying Omen Machine, at least not in the foreseable near future. I'm hoping the person I borrowed SoT from gets it and then lends it to me.

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping the person I borrowed SoT from gets it and then lends it to me.
    Ah: that might be your other means of reading the book, rhallva!

Mark
    Mark

I liked Sword of Truth season one. Honest. I did.

At risk of turning this into an off-topic thread, I don't think Goodkind is in the same boat as Brooks, Eddings or Feist. Whereas they are, or were in Eddings' case, content to write book after book and largely keep to themselves about it, Goodkind has been somewhat critical of his fans and readers, as well as the genre itself. I think some people are overly critical of him, or overly acidic towards him, but unlike Brooks or Feist, it's not entirely undeserved. If someone is going to condemn people for not liking your books, and claim you're not writing fantasy (When you clearly are), then the community is clearly going to bite back.

I know we have a fair few Goodkind-haters on the Forum, and to be honest, posts about his books can bring out the WORST in members, but like you've said, Justin, they're not a bad start to the Fantasy genre, in the way that Terry Brooks' Shannara books are, or Eddings' series or Feist's Magician series.

It's just that there's better stuff out there, and I think a lot of people move on, so to speak.

Mark
    Not a popular perspective, I'm sure, but it seems the vast majority of the spec-fic community is a little further to the left on the philosophical/political spectrum. Or at least the more vocal part of the community.

Goodkind's objectivist views offend that population just as Rand does. And don't mistake the fact that Goodkind INVITES that. Ever read a Rand thread? God help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard
    I enjoyed Sword of Truth, particularly because what most people complain about I find to be quite superficial and/or doesn't bother me.
    So if you're willing to not get bogged down in that part of it, the rest just reads like Brooks of Eddings. Although, if I remember correctly there is more rape by a factor in Goodkind's stuff.

Blog Entries
    So perhaps the question here is the old one about whether you take the books on their own merits or have your opinion of the author affect the way you read his/her books.

It's an old discussion point: I think most on a genre site would agree with you, Loerwyn, but the alt.response is: Does Goodkind (or anyone else in that position) care?

Probably not.

Mark
    Mark

So perhaps the question here is the old one about whether you take the books on their own merits or have your opinion of the author affect the way you read his/her books.

It's an old discussion point: I think most on a genre site would agree with you, Loerwyn, but the alt.response is: Does Goodkind (or anyone else in that position) care?

Probably not.

Mark
    If you read Goodkind KNOWING he's an objectivist, that colors the perception. As a teenager reading the books I never noticed that stuff. I read Rand's catalog in college and if I re-read Goodkind it would probably smack me in the face.

Would The Chronicles of Narnia be any less offensive to an atheist? Or The Golden Compass to a Christian?

I think it's a bit of both. I, personally, think that no-one should compromise their morals or beliefs for the sake of a single book. If you find an author's views reprehensible, I would suggest to stay away from their works as much as possible. Aside from his contribution to Legends, there's one author whose work I will not allow on my shelves out of sheer hatred for his actions. I've not bought anthologies with him in simply because of what he stands for. I'm blind to the merits of his work because of my opinion of him.

Goodkind is someone whose views are, in the scheme of things, somewhat harmless. I can't justify not buying his books due to his views because that'd make me a hypocrite, as I have a copy of Atlas Shrugged sat around somewhere, and because I see them as somewhat harmless, but I could justify it on, say, his treatment of women and rape in his books.

Probably not.
    Well, Goodkind does care. He's been outspoken about his readers in the past. It's not whether the author cares that matters, sadly, it's whether the readers care. More often than not, readers turn a blind eye - on purpose or otherwise - to the actions of an author. If readers truly know what authors were like, would Card still sell like he does? Would Goodkind?

The ignorance of the population is bliss for the authors.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    I think it's a bit of both. I, personally, think that no-one should compromise their morals or beliefs for the sake of a single book. If you find an author's views reprehensible, I would suggest to stay away from their works as much as possible. Aside from his contribution to Legends, there's one author whose work I will not allow on my shelves out of sheer hatred for his actions. I've not bought anthologies with him in simply because of what he stands for. I'm blind to the merits of his work because of my opinion of him.
    coughCARDcough.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaStaffer View Post
    coughCARDcough.
    Am I really that obvious?