Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Yo ho, all together. Let's read ADWD. [Possible Spoilers]

I know we have all waited a long tmie for this. I'm talking LONG. A lot of people have waited a lot longer than myself, I am aware.

So, how giddy I am right now compares not to them, I'm guessing.

I've made this thread so we can all feel a part of something as we read the book. We can comment on it, speculate, praise, moan, rejoice!

You can agree to read at the same pace as others if you'd wish though I'm sure some of this will be done in a day or two. Taking into account that everyone reads at different paces there is only;

THE ONE RULE
    When posting up on here, if it is about the book's content or in response to something someone else said about the content, please post up the chapter and page number you are on. I'm unsure if the American/English/Eur editions are different, and so this could very, so say the edition if you find differences.

That way at least we'll all have some idea where we are. So, if somenoe's on page 200, and you're on 50, don't read their shiz.

Please and thank you. Enjoy.

---

12/07/11 So it just turned the 12th here in England. Until most of us get our copies I was planning on spreading hype. : D

Post Review-olicious

Hola. Haven't been as active in the last year as I'd wish (didn't even have time to read a lot) so I've neglected my blog & SFF forum "duties". ADWD is THE book I was waiting on and I suppose it's the same with a lot of you. I've made a conscious decision to not read it until I can reread the preceding novels. With the pace I'm reading now it's going to take a while...but I'm in no rush, especially if we'll have to wait another 6 years for the next book. I'm a bit sad I'll miss the heated discussions that are forthcoming so I do envy you a bit

My girlfriend doesn't have any such hold-backs so she read the book in one go when she got it a week back. Since then she wrote a review and posted it up (she's doing all the hard work now that I'm "slacking" a bit).

In any case, here's what she thought about the book:

The review doesn't include spoilers from ADWD (but it does include spoilers from previous books in the series)!

I was one of the lucky few who got their books from Amazon.de – in my case, though, it was also through kindness of Adz, who was actually the one who pre-ordered the books and was generous enough to send me one of her two copies. Thanks again! You can imagine how thrilled I was when the book arrived, and I began reading it immediately, but by the time I finally put it down, my excitement had somewhat waned. Why?

Well, the first thing is that A Dance with Dragons is, as Wert aptly described it, sprawling. It takes place on many different locations of The Seven Kingdoms and The Free Cities that are sometimes a whole continent apart. Before, we mostly followed events that took place in The Seven Kingdoms, with Dany and later Arya being the only POVS in The Free Cities. This time around, The Free Cities are in the centre of it all, but plenty of POVs still remain scattered throughout The Seven Kingdoms – and each is telling their own story. This can sometimes make the story seem a bit too diffused; the reader has to follow both the politics of The Free Cities and the events in The Seven Kingdoms, which are not in the best of states after the events of A Feast for Crows.

Jumping to and fro between POVs doesn’t help the reader any. In the first half of the book, the POVs are mostly Tyrion, Jon and Daenerys, which makes the plot very easy to follow even though it’s as complex as always. In the other half of the book, though, the POVs grow considerably more numerous and incredibly fragmented, with plenty of characters only appearing in one or two chapters. The plot is thus much harder to follow and the flow of the story is interrupted, but on the other hand, this fragmentation also brings some insight into the events that transpire in The Seven Kingdoms. Still, it all left me a bit confused, if very much curious as to what will happen next.

A Dance with Dragons will not answer most of the questions you’ve had ever since you’ve read A Feast for Crows or even A Storm of Swords; it will rather give you plenty more things to wonder about. In the second half of the book, we reach the final events of A Feast for Crows and see some of the familiar faces again, but to my great disappointment, most of POVs from A Feast for Crows only appear briefly and in some cases not at all.

What probably irked me most about A Dance with Dragons was that many characters previously thought dead or missing appear again. Even though they are mostly minor characters, this took some edge off my constant worry over who will get killed next. A Dance with Dragons has its share of shocking events, but they left me skeptical – after all, I’ve just been shown that not everything happened the way I thought it did, so who says it’s any different this time around? Who says those characters will not return in The Winds of Winter? The problem is that I like to worry about who will die next – it means that I actually care about the characters and this emotional investment is an important part of my reading experience. So while I do not believe that all of the characters presumed dead or missing will stay this way in the next two installments, I sure hope that most of them will.

So, was A Dance with Dragons worth the wait? I honestly can’t give a definite answer to that question. It’s definitely a wonderful and complex book that did not disappoint me, but on the other hand, it could hardly live up to the expectations I’ve had of it after all these years. The style is often not as flowing as I’d like it to be, there is still some repetition of certain phrases – ‘words are wind’ especially seems to be everyone’s new favourite saying – and, much like A Feast for Crows, A Dance with Dragons seems to suffer from being one of the middle books of the series, as the events that transpire in it are mostly just setting the stage for the grand finale. Still, I can’t say anything but ‘kudos’ to Martin – despite the complexity of the book he holds the reins of the plot firmly in his hands.

And so begins our wait again.

Good to see you. : )

My book was meant to come today but it doesn't look like it will... Stoopid Waterstones. They were quick enough to take my money. >>; -grumble-

Anyways, that review sounds... interesting. I have to admit that Jon's is one of my LEAST favourite POVs, especailly since the arrival of Stannis and now that his chapters will be packed full of long exposition speeches and decission making. Is it right that I am actually DREADING reading something I love so much? :P Dany, I am unsure of... I don't know how long reading about everyone worshipping the ground she walks on will go without becoming annoying. Tyrion, well, TYRION!

It's interesting to hear that people thought dead return to us! -EXCITED-

So, has anyone started yet? (Besides those who cheated and got it early.)

Read interesting books
    I finished the book and I will repeat what I said in spoiler brackets in the Reading in July thread with some more commentary - here I use no spoiler brackets as per the topic, but anyway there are no such beyond the general commentary

The one thing that surprised me is that the book does not have the "each word counts" finished feel I expected after the 7 year struggle of the author with it; it's early and I need at least one reread but to be honest for the first 600 pages I felt like almost nothing happens, just going back and forth to mark the time until the timeline gets to the end of AFFC and things can start happening; when things start to happen, yes the action is mostly awesome, but there is some silliness too

What I liked is that almost everybody appears even if briefly. Of the shocking Martin moments, there is one that blew me away and the ending is pretty good, though it has a little bit of deja vu and what was first ultra-awesome, second is just great; overall, like with AFFC, ADWD is a transitional book without much resolution and which adds to the complexity and expands the story, rather than starting to pull it together as it might be expected in book 5/7

Of the characters the one that shined the most imho was Ser Barristan and the one that disappointed the most except at the very, very end was Tyrion.

The other thing I really liked is that GRRM keeps his "action have consequences and there is no get out the jail card" stance that so shocked people including myself in the earlier volumes - eg Ned's political folly leads to his death, Rob's sentimental one ... - and here there is no exception.

So good to be back with some of these characters. Already loving some of the chapters I've read.

One highlight already - Jon chapter 2 spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Right at the end. The way he deals with Janos Slynt. Yes! *fist pumps* It's been a long time coming. I sort of feared that Jon might let him go, before he mentioned the hanging. When he changed his mind about the hanging I knew what was coming "...the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Haven't read anything yet:

Your package is currently in transit. You will not see any tracking updates for the next 3 days. - July 11, 2011 1:14:45 AM
    Text Trace:
    Sign-up to receive text tracking alerts
    See Complete Tracking History
    The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 2)
    Patrick Rothfuss
    Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
    Available Actions
    A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five
    George R.R. Martin
    Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
    Available Actions

SOON!

General opinion of a certain POV's first four chapters (no plot-specific spoiler).
    Spoiler:
    Daenerys' first four chapters should have been condensed into one. Bo-o-oring!

Anybody else think
    Spoiler:
    Bran's second chapter
    was absolutely stunning?
    Last edited by afireinside30x; July 12th, 2011 at 01:31 PM.

afireinside, I'd give a page number and chapter number so people know if they can read that or not.

I didn't think this through did I... It's killing me! I wanna read the spoilers!! : (

Quote Originally Posted by Slynt View Post
    General opinion of a certain POV's first four chapters (no plot-specific spoiler).
    Spoiler:
    Daenerys' first four chapters should have been condensed into one. Bo-o-oring!
    Agreed. General POV opinions, no spoilers:

Spoiler:
    I'm about 775 pages in since I got the book early but I find myself looking forward to the chapters of the Big Three the least...most of the lesser POV characters have much better chapters. Tyrion's were great for a while though. Dany's are frustrating and Jon's too to a lesser extent.

Uh-oh... I feared this. I don't like Jon, and Dany to a lesser extent, at the best of times. xD;

I think it was risky for George to split up the POVs. People who really don't like reading Dany, Jon or (somehow) Tyrion will struggle here.

Does anyone have a list of all POVs included? (Unless they count as spoilers, of course. Then 'Unknown' would do.)

Analyze That
    Up to Theon's (Reek) first chapter:

Spoiler:
    I'm enjoying this immensely so far. Has much happened? No. We are getting some massive character development though. I've felt bad for Jon more times than I can count over the course of this series, but I'm not sure I've felt worse for him than right now. It is no blessing to be Lord Commander. That is for sure, he has given up all friends, family and claims for his honour. Everyone needs friends and family. I can't help but wonder if this weight on his shoulders is going to slowly tear him apart, just like Stannis' claim to be king has torn him apart.
    Melisandre saying "You know nothing, Jon Snow," made me smile. I don't think that was simply Martin winking to his audience either.

Dany. Good to see her start to become a little bit more real as a character. It is good that things she has believed in all her life are starting to be challenged. She needs this time in Mereen to learn how to be a ruler, that is for sure.

Tyrion's first chapter was possibly the weirdest chapter in the series to this point. Since then things have been pretty ho-hum.

My book still hasn't come! Lame! Trying to occupy myself from reading anything about the book.

Just read the Jon Snow chapter that ends about page 110

Spoiler:
    It was worth the ten year wait to find out what happens when you mess with the Lord Commander. More please. Other chapters so far have been very enjoyable, loved the brief glimpse of young Varys.

I just got my book yesterday afternoon. I don't feel the need to put spoiler tags on...I've only read the prologue so far.

Felt to me that prologue's only true function was to foreshadow that Jon is a warg, and a damn powerful one at that. And to give a more pressing realization that the Wight/Other invasion is coming NOW.

Since we know Arya has dreams she is Nymeria, we can probably surmise that all stark children are wargs, and powerful ones at that. Right? What warg stuff did Jon do in previous books? I can't really recall. I vaguely remember him having dreams, but being afraid to explore them in reality?

I liked it! Felt good to read some new GRRM finally.
    Last edited by chris777; July 15th, 2011 at 07:24 AM.