mercenaries fantasy

Are there any other merc's fantasy novels or other kind of fighting group like an army or a band with a main male lead character who becomes their leader? Preferably young something like Inda, Codex Alera or Videssos . I know also about the Black Company but i will leave that to later.

A few possibilities:

• Glen Cook: the "Dread Empire" saga
    • Glen Cook: The Swordbearer
    • Glen Cook: The Tower of Fear
    • Hugh Cook: the "Chronicles of an Age of Darkness" cycle
    • David Gemmell: the "Drenai" cycle
    • David Gemmell: the "Sipstrassi" cycle
    • Simon Green: the "Forest Kingdom" trio
    • Eric Van Lustbader: the "Sunset Warrior" cycle
    • Andrew Offutt: the "War of the Gods on Earth" trilogy

All of those (save the Glen Cook individual novels) are connected series save the Hugh Cook, wherein the books are standalones, but sometimes with characters in common.

Chronicles of the Raven by James Barclay is well worth reading.

Quote Originally Posted by owlcroft View Post
    • Eric Van Lustbader: the "Sunset Warrior" cycle
    Now there's a blast from the past! Early highschool stuff, mixed in with McLean, Bagley, Vance and Clavell...heady days

Cheers,

Sfinx.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliam View Post
    I'm going to have to second this one. I enjoyed all of his books.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliam View Post
    Same. I saw this thread yesterday and couldn't come up with anything... not sure how I forgot about Barclay's books.

"The Ten Thousand" by Paul Kearney might qualify if it lives up to its inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Seli View Post
    "The Ten Thousand" by Paul Kearney might qualify if it lives up to its inspiration.
    Great suggestion. Awesome books by a very underrated author.

Mercenaries have featured in a number of science fiction novels. The well-known author Jerry Pournelle has written several books about science-fiction mercenaries known as Falkenberg's Legion. Also, author David Drake has written a number of books about the fictional hovercraft armored regiment Hammer's Slammers. Both series of books are brutal in their portrayal of complex low-intensity warfare despite technological advances. Gordon R. Dickson's Dorsai!, part of his Childe Cycle, includes the planet Dorsai with a society structured like that of Switzerland.

Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle is about the female leader of a mercenary company in an alternate history fantasy.

Orcs, a series by Stan Nicholls, is about a mercenary cadre of orcs. It is a satirical series, so there are a lot of things in it that are deliberately over the top and silly, like the villain, but it's mixed with drama as well.

Violette Malan has a series about martial arts mercenaries starting with The Soldier King.

I second James Barclay's Raven series and of course, Black Company and some of Cook's other works are major, as are the Dorsai books. Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold is about mercenaries, though it's a standalone in a wider series. There are several dozen more that are not coming to mind right now, but if they do, I'll pop them up.