Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Supercalifragilistic

Dislike Kingkiller Chronicles?

Is this series one of your hated?
    Perhaps you just need be persuaded.
    To get out your seat and give it a look.
    I'm sure you'll fall in love with this book.

So get off your butt and open the door.
    Outside you may find you'll enjoy it more.
    Put on your shoes there's a chill in the air.
    Is that one of the signs the Chandrian are there?

If you cannot get off of your lazy ass.
    That still is no reason to give it a pass.
    So grab that blanket and bottle of wine.
    Your couch or chair will do just fine.

Forgive my terrible rhythm and rhyme.
    Poetry and verse is a weakness of mine.
    I hope you don't think I'm Adema Ruh.
    If Kvothe finds out he may Stab me thru.

Pat has a new blog entry about his photo contest. Perhaps his verse and fan photos can sway your solid heart.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011...sian-sussurus/

Quote Originally Posted by teahupoo View Post
    Is this series one of your hated?
    Perhaps you just need be persuaded.
    To get out your seat and give it a look.
    I'm sure you'll fall in love with this book.

So get off your butt and open the door.
    Outside you may find you'll enjoy it more.
    Put on your shoes there's a chill in the air.
    Is that one of the signs the Chandrian are there?

If you cannot get off of your lazy ass.
    That still is no reason to give it a pass.
    So grab that blanket and bottle of wine.
    Your couch or chair will do just fine.

Forgive my terrible rhythm and rhyme.
    Poetry and verse is a weakness of mine.
    I hope you don't think I'm Adema Ruh.
    If Kvothe finds out he may Stab me thru.

Pat has a new blog entry about his photo contest. Perhaps his verse and fan photos can sway your solid heart.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011...sian-sussurus/
    Word. Ruh fur life V

Some crazy creative picks. I can't believe he got so many entries.

It's Edema btw
    Last edited by 3rdI; August 17th, 2011 at 10:16 AM.

What hilarious timing!

I just read this article over at Ars Technica.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by thirstyVan View Post
    What hilarious timing!

What do you think?
    Article = Epic Fail

As it relates to this discussion it fails.

Example:
    "Because the brand is seen as a part of the self by virtue of being intimately tied to the self, failure on the part of the brand is experienced as a personal failure," reads the paper. "Therefore, in an effort to maintain a positive self-view, high SBC individuals react defensively to brand failure by evaluating the brand favorably despite its poor performance."

Response - KKC has performed fantastically well. WMF hit number one on the New York Times Best Sellers List. Both books have sold a large amount of copies. Both have received critical acclaim both within the genre and even outside of it. Rothfuss has become highly respected amongst his peers who time and again praise the quality of his books. NPR has a 60,000 ballot all time greatest list and KKC, which has only been out since 2007, places 18th. Goodreads has 8,605 ratings, 2,016 reviews with an average of 4.46 of 5 stars. By any calculable metric KKC has been a complete success.

As for the rest of the article it borders on the absurd. I have no loyalty to the KKC brand. If the books sucked I would be the first person picking them apart. When have I ever refrained from picking a book apart that I didn't like?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    Article = Epic Fail

Example:
    "Because the brand is seen as a part of the self by virtue of being intimately tied to the self, failure on the part of the brand is experienced as a personal failure," reads the paper. "Therefore, in an effort to maintain a positive self-view, high SBC individuals react defensively to brand failure by evaluating the brand favorably despite its poor performance."

Response - KKC has performed fantastically well. WMF hit number one on the New York Times Best Sellers List. Both books have sold a large amount of copies. Both have received critical acclaim both within the genre and even outside of it. Rothfuss has become highly respected amongst his peers who time and again praise the quality of his books. NPR has a 60,000 ballot all time greatest list and KKC, which has only been out since 2007, places 18th. Goodreads has 8,605 ratings, 2,016 reviews with an average of 4.46 of 5 stars. By any calculable metric KKC has been a complete success.
    "Performance" doesn't necessarily have to apply to sales, or average review scores. It could also apply to how a brand or product (like KKC) is received among ones peers. Such as on this board. Plenty of people have expressed negative opinions of the KKC, and it always gets a reaction.

As for the rest of the article it borders on the absurd. I have no loyalty to the KKC brand. If the books sucked I would be the first person picking them apart. When have I ever refrained from picking a book apart that I didn't like?
    I'm not trying to pick on you specifically, but it's undeniable that KKC is a touchy subject on this board, and the article I referenced struck me as relevant to that fact.

I'm not trying to pick on you specifically, but it's undeniable that KKC is a touchy subject on this board, and the article I referenced struck me as relevant to that fact.
    I wouldn't call it touchy. Divided is probably a better word. Teahupoo and I will keep spreading the good word.

Fact of the matter is that it is okay to have a nerdgasm over ASOIAF, WOT, Malazan, etc etc. Really isn't any issue with that. Heck even Abercrombie get's partial worship and that is cool. But the few handful of us that really dig KKC get the fanboi label and all that jazz. Kinda odd. Kinda strange. *shrugs*

dunno player it is what it is.

*Puts on my Eolian Bar T-Shirt*

I wouldn't call it touchy. Divided is probably a better word. Teahupoo and I will keep spreading the good word.
    Spoken like a true evangelist.

Evangelists, of course, not being known for their rationality.

Seriously, though -- I just started rereading The Name of the Wind, 'cause I really would like to see what the evangelists see in the book. And I have to say that I had forgotten how much I did like the intro. I'm afraid I will probably still have the letdown that I did the first time, when we get to the young Kvothe, but there's not much wrong with the very beginning of the book in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    Spoken like a true evangelist.

Evangelists, of course, not being known for their rationality.
    lol was waiting for someone to pick up on that Well played

And just to make you feel even better -- damn, that part about the silence having three parts was nice. "the patient, cut flower sound of a man who is waiting to die" -- niiiiiiice. If only he could've kept that up for the whole book, I might be gushing too.

OTOH -- so many people say that the book is a commentary, a deconstruction of the fantasy genre. So perhaps he was parodying epic fantasies by his style in the intro. In which case, ta Hell with Rothfuss, 'cause that was the best part.

Supercalifragilistic
    What hilarious timing!

What do you think?
    U TROLLIN BRAH? No fish to catch here. Go troll somefin else.

Kind of funny that they had to do a study and research on something any reasonable person already knows. Intellectuals can be so dense some times. Turn on any sporting event and you have your proof. Hell people are killed over it.

It's a mad mad world
    Last edited by teahupoo; August 17th, 2011 at 01:01 PM.

Supercalifragilistic
    It could also apply to how a brand or product (like KKC) is received among ones peers. Such as on this board. Plenty of people have expressed negative opinions of the KKC, and it always gets a reaction.
    Cause a few peoples opinions on SFFworld is an indication of quality. LOL!

On a side note. Billabong Pro Tahiti starts this saturday. The swell is expected to be pretty good and we should see some heavy barrels.

Here is a link to the website and webcast if anyone is interested in surfing. http://billabongpro.com/tahiti11

The waiting period is 11 days i think. They run the event on the best days. It takes about 3 days to complete.
    Last edited by teahupoo; August 17th, 2011 at 12:55 PM.

Fact of the matter is that it is okay to have a nerdgasm over ASOIAF, WOT, Malazan, etc etc. Really isn't any issue with that. Heck even Abercrombie get's partial worship and that is cool. But the few handful of us that really dig KKC get the fanboi label and all that jazz. Kinda odd. Kinda strange. *shrugs*

dunno player it is what it is.

*Puts on my Eolian Bar T-Shirt*
    It's not about who likes what, or who has "nerdgasms" over what. I think you're missing the point.

People rush to the defense of the KKC like nothing else on this board, at least that I've seen (I've heard tell of Epic Flame Wars of the past, that broke the board before they were put to a stop **coughgoodkindhackcough**). Again, I'm not out to attack you, though you ARE one of KKCs most vehement defenders. I think the article is an interesting analysis of the possible conscious/subconscious motivations that lead people to leap to the defense of the series (KKC or any other, really), often by dismissing the subjective opinions of others as if they're hard facts that can be disproved.

If you disagree with the article, that's fine. It's not about agreement. I just thought I'd share, since the KKC discussions on this board are the first thing that popped into my mind when I read it

It's not about who likes what, or who has "nerdgasms" over what. I think you're missing the point.

People rush to the defense of the KKC like nothing else on this board, at least that I've seen (I've heard tell of Epic Flame Wars of the past, that broke the board before they were put to a stop **coughgoodkindhackcough**). Again, I'm not out to attack you, though you ARE one of KKCs most vehement defenders. I think the article is an interesting analysis of the possible conscious/subconscious motivations that lead people to leap to the defense of the series (KKC or any other, really), often by dismissing the subjective opinions of others as if they're hard facts that can be disproved.

If you disagree with the article, that's fine. It's not about agreement. I just thought I'd share, since the KKC discussions on this board are the first thing that popped into my mind when I read it
    Like I said homie the article didn't bother me, I simply didn't find it applicable in this instance. If you find it to be relevant cool.

Nothing subconscious on my part. Had WMF come out and been pure crap I would have blasted the book. That however, for me, wasn't the case. Since this site get's more viewer hits than member hits, and those viewers might be making buying decisions based off of the recommendations and opinions they read, then I feel a responsibility to promote the series and be as informative about it as I possibly can, no different than Wert does for ASOIAF.

Why do I do this? Quite simply The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear are the two best books I have ever read in any genre. They have provided me hours of wonderful entertainment. I will do whatever I can to help get the word out about these books. Not so much for the membership, but for the random interwebz viewer that might be looking for a new book to read. I am going to represent the community of KKC fans as well. Because we are the minority here.

I will admit to being too argumentative and as such have avoided the main KKC threads.

This thread however was a fun thread tea started. No one was trying to get serious about anything.

To each their own player

Throw your hands up if your down with the Chandrian

Article = Epic Fail

Example:

You do see that this exact response is confirming the article's message?

Back to the OP / Original Poem:

Aye, i did get off my lazy butt and gave it a try. Didn't like it though. But as 3rdI has been unwaveringly pointing out: plenty of people who do. And I did enjoy your poem. Maybe you could lend mr. Erikson a helpful hand when he's cooking up another Fisher kel Tath ramble...

Cheers,

Sfinx.