Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Borders going out of business.

http://money.msn.com/exchange-traded...1fc7&GT1=33035

Better go use my gift cards!

Sales starting Friday?

I've just finished reading Modesitt's thoughts (Here, and yes, I'm a fangirl - So what?), and the first paragraph summed up what I thought when Jon Sprunk first made me aware of the story earlier today.

The impact this is going to have is enormous. Yes, Barnes & Noble and other stores will see an increase in sales, but I think Amazon will get the brunt of new sales, and that's... Dangerous. Regardless of how badly managed the stores are, they must have been selling thousands upon thousands of books. That's got to equate to millions of dollars for publishers, printers, authors etc., so the collapse of a whole chain is going to have a huge impact economically, and in the current climate, that's terrible.

I remember Borders collapsing in the UK (I worked around the corner from one), and it was a sad time. The only other bookstore I had near me was a WH Smith, and they're horrific (Especially because their selection almost literally never changes) for publishers. It was somewhere I could go for a wander on a lunch break, it was a shop we planned - that Christmas - to have a bit of a spending spree in, and it was also, funnily enough, the place that I first heard about Modesitt.

I hope the soon-to-be-displaced employees can get back on their feet as soon as possible, and I sincerely hope that this collapse doesn't cause massive issues in the publishing industry.

It's my fault. I order all my books online from Amazon. But then again, can you blame me? Most new release hardcovers sell for like $32+ in the book stores. Amazon sells them for under $22.

Quote Originally Posted by INeedAUserName View Post
    It's my fault. I order all my books online from Amazon. But then again, can you blame me? Most new release hardcovers sell for like $32+ in the book stores. Amazon sells them for under $22.
    I've been getting the books from Borders quite cheaply, but I'm a Rewards Plus Member, and with all the coupons they often have you can get books at quite a good price.

I mean, after tax I've been buying paperbacks under $5 for example, new.

I buy them online though.

Used to love Borders when I lived in Florida, shame to see it go under. I used to go in there and read whole books, but I figured the amount I spent in the cafe made up for it... Maybe not .

Quote Originally Posted by INeedAUserName View Post
    Same here. I buy most of my books from Amazon too. Their prices are just too good to pass up. Too bad Borders has to close though. I was just in one of their stores a week ago and had a blast wandering through the store for a couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Agassizii View Post
    Same here. I buy most of my books from Amazon too. Their prices are just too good to pass up. Too bad Borders has to close though. I was just in one of their stores a week ago and had a blast wandering through the store for a couple hours.
    I buy pretty much everything via Amazon these days, too (esp. Kindle format), but agree there's just something about wandering the stacks of a bricks-and-mortar bookstore for hours on a weekend that's hard to beat! Borders will be missed...

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    I buy pretty much everything via Amazon these days, too (esp. Kindle format), but agree there's just something about wandering the stacks of a bricks-and-mortar bookstore for hours on a weekend that's hard to beat! Borders will be missed...
    I've been guilty of Amazon-itis at times (they're just cheaper), but if we don't actually buy from B&M stores, how will they stay around? It's something I've gone round and round with myself on. I want to stretch my book dollars to their max, but I've gotten to where I'll pay a little more from time to time in the flesh in order to support stores, particularly independent ones.

Sad news, i've been buying from Borders since I was a kid and they only had 2 or 3 stores in the entire country.

I must admit if i had time to kill i would have a coffee and sit in Borders reading travel books or wandering through browsing at various genres.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    I've been guilty of Amazon-itis at times (they're just cheaper), but if we don't actually buy from B&M stores, how will they stay around? It's something I've gone round and round with myself on. I want to stretch my book dollars to their max, but I've gotten to where I'll pay a little more from time to time in the flesh in order to support stores, particularly independent ones.
    I was guilty of it too, although in my own defense for most of the past couple of years I've either been unemployed or on a low wage, so low prices were important. I'm hoping that my next job, when I get one, will be in a town with a Waterstone's store, because I do spend a fair bit there. Over the past six months I'd wager I've spent over 100 there, maybe closer to 200 (I got my copies of The Dragon's Path and Leviathan Wakes there; 13 each!).

I've found that, really, Amazon and TBD increase my book spending, because I'll see a book I'm ambivalent about for 4 and order it. Many of the many books I've bought over the past six months have been impulse buys, with - I suspect - online stores forming the majority of those purchases. For me seems better to get 10 4 books than 5 8 books, because the latter feels like a more expensive purchase. It's just how my brain works. I'm reluctant to put a 40 order in, but will happily spend 10 x 4.

It will leave just B&N anywhere near me. (Borders is closer)
    All others have disappeared.
    Do you think they are going under because of the book business today or because they are business idiots. (probably both)

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by cgw View Post
    It will leave just B&N anywhere near me. (Borders is closer)
    All others have disappeared.
    Do you think they are going under because of the book business today or because they are business idiots. (probably both)
    Borders went down because of the nature of the book business today which cannot support two national chains imho; the fact that Borders went down and not Barnes and Noble is because of their mistakes, the idiots parts if you want, but BN are not in that great a shape either as the various recent deals around it show; Borders going down though gave them a grace period since now they have leverage in dealing with publishers who still need the physical store out there

Does anyone know what's going to happen with books I have pre-ordered that are going to be published between now and early September?

This is so sad. Borders has always been my favorite. Their coupons always made it a great place to go - as cheap as Amazon (if you have patience) and you still get the experience of a physical bookstore. There are really very few things that are better than wondering around a bookstore, you know, besides the actual reading part.

Bastard,

I'm not quite sure on that front, I've not yet taken bankruptcy, although I have taken Corporations. I think there's a wind-up period with a statute of limitations, which would depend on the state. They'll have to have some type of plan approved to wrap up their accounts, pay out all their liabilities, etc. Very helpful eh, typical lawyer and I'm not even one yet.