Reading in Agosto

August already and I've only played golf twice this summer.

I started reading The Sky Road by MacLeod but I may bail.
    Any comments positive or negative?

Bailed on The Sky Road. 3/4 the way through Mote in Gods Eye. Have Hitchhikers Guide next to see what all the fuss is about. I hope it is readable because I will be away with out much access to other books.

Iv'e read his Cassini Division and didn't like so although I have The Sky Road I can't face starting it.
    Perhaps I never will now after reading your post cgw it doesn't sound any better

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes - I find you have to be in a certain mind-frame for Ken MacLeod.

I though Sky Road was OK, enjoyed The Stone Canal, but he is heavy on the politics. His personal politics are very left-wing and often prevalent in his books - they are usually very much into the effects of such activities - some readers will like, others will clearly not.

His books tend to deal with global stuff at a small scale, but are usually laced with power politics, communism, political anarchism and radicalism or revolution.

He is 'best-mates' with Iain M Banks and it is clear they often share similar views.
    Mark

I guess the reason I bailed out on The Sky Road is that I was a few chapters in and he was still pouring on the background with no end in sight (hard to explain).

Blog Entries
    Actually, cgw, I can see what you mean - not hard to explain at all!

MacLeod's books are usually short and he does try to pack things in but there can be a lot of 'information dumping' as he goes along. There were places in the Stone Canal where he did this if I remember right, when he was explaining the roles of what we would call multinationals...

Mote is good, though. You might want to try the sequel when you've finished (not quite as good, but not bad!).
    Mark

Finished Kiln People two weeks ago. It was fabulous! The future he dreams up is unique. Felt a bit Bladerunner-ish with the desposable people all over the place. Underneith all this incredible world building was a mystery that ulimately questions the meaning of our existence.

It does all that and is highly entertaining as well. YOU MUST READ KILN PEOPLE!

Susan

Blog Entries
    This sounds good, Sus - I'll add it to the list!
    Mark