Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The Night Angel Trilogy

Ok so i've found this on the local library and i'm wondering if anyone have read it . Before i would start reading and abandon it later because of too much angst i'd like to hear some second thoughts.

I've heard there quite a bit of rape in there and rape is something that always keeps me from having a normal reading when it involves the main characters . I know the protagonist is a male , so my question now is his "love interest" raped during the series?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyMcNasty View Post
    Ok so i've found this on the local library and i'm wondering if anyone have read it . Before i would start reading and abandon it later because of too much angst i'd like to hear some second thoughts.

I've heard there quite a bit of rape in there and rape is something that always keeps me from having a normal reading when it involves the main characters . I know the protagonist is a male , so my question now is his "love interest" raped during the series?

Thanks
    Wow, a filthy and nasty person who is appalled by rape. Odd. But just a thought.

Thanks
    It's been a while since I've read these, but if I recall most of the rape happens in the first book. I don't recall whether Azoth's love interest has it happen to her, i don't think so - but the book is far from roses. Lots of bad stuff happens to just about everyone at one time or another.

Banned
    I know the protagonist is a male , so my question now is his "love interest" raped during the series?

Thanks
    Males can be raped as well(hint hint).

This is next on my list, also at my library.. think ill just buy it from amazon though can get all 3 for like 8.50 ish inc p&p.

Heard only good things

This is a great series. It's quick and lots of fun. I don't remember rape being a huge problem in it. It's there, but I don't think it's a central theme like some books where every soldier's trying to take what's his right after conquering some town.

I also don't remember if it was a main character who this happens to, I know it happens to a main love interest in Shadow's Son, but I'm getting it jumbled with this one.

Not read this series myself as yet but have heard/read mixed reviews on it. I guess if it's from the library you have no financial outlay so read it & make your own decision on it.

Let us know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozziespur View Post
    Not read this series myself as yet but have heard/read mixed reviews on it. I guess if it's from the library you have no financial outlay so read it & make your own decision on it.

Let us know what you think.
    I had no plans to read it because of the mixed reviews, but I got the first book as a gift. I'm so glad I read it because I loved it.

I read the first book and it didn't really grab me, so I stopped there with no plans to continue... if by "too much angst", you're thinking 'angsty teenager', then that rings a bell in my recollection of the tone of the book; I'd also say that I got a feeling that it was largely concerned with appearing 'cool' by emulating a certain degree of 'hollywood action film' - all style & attention-grabbing, no substance.

But hey, it's been over a year since I read it, I'm in no position to give you a detailed analysis of it at this point... I just know I'm not going back there.

I have read this trilogy TWICE. I really like the powerful main characters. It is dark and there are some disturbing scenes in the beginning, but it defines the characters through out the books. The love interest is somewhat sheltered from the abusive life so you don't have to worry about that.
    The story uses an "athletic" magic that is very interesting and other magics that are unique. I really like the books because of the characters that I began to care about.

I've only read the first one, and it was a while ago; I quite enjoyed it, but the second never grabbed me. Worth a read from the library though, and I probably will get round to finishing the series at some point.

As far as the angst question goes, there's a bit, and quite a lot of grim happening, but really it's a book with quite a light touch in a lot of ways. I remember when I first read it describing it as a cross between Matthew Stover's Heroes Die and David Eddings, in terms of its tone.

I really really enjoyed this trilogy when i read it, probably around a year ago, i remember reading it in less than a week and I'm quite sure that there wasnt much angst in it because I don't like reading angsty books either...
    It definitely had some darker elements in it though, and Weeks sure isn't afraid to let his characters suffer... If one of them is gonna fall down a well, you better bet that they're gonna break an arm, a leg and a few ribs... there isn't much cushioning here my friend

I recommend the series but it isn't for everyone

I'm kind of not understanding why the series isnt better liked. I loved books 1-2 and am working on 3. If it stays good, this may be one of my top 5 series, or higher. No spoilers please.

Sure, its dark, but First Law was voted the number one series in the poll earlier in the year. Sure the plot isnt rigorously tight, and that is a flaw no doubt, but heck, people voted Malazan into the top 10. Sure, the assassin's are practically "god-mode" at times, but they have limits, or are limited by people they care about, much like hero in Mistborn, which was also voted into the top 10.

Anyway, seems like they are lowering book one to $2.99 every couple months for a promotion, so I recommend trying it strongly.

I found it to be what I consider a popcorn series. It read really quickly, was fairly entertaining while it was here, but shortly after finishing it, it no longer had an impact on me. I thought the writing style and handling of relationships was fairly juvenile and that the overall story lacked meat. No aspects of setting, character, or theme have stuck with me at all. I guess, in short, it seemed like an action movie...and I generally don't bother watching action movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    I found it to be what I consider a popcorn series. It read really quickly, was fairly entertaining while it was here, but shortly after finishing it, it no longer had an impact on me. I thought the writing style and handling of relationships was fairly juvenile and that the overall story lacked meat. No aspects of setting, character, or theme have stuck with me at all. I guess, in short, it seemed like an action movie...and I generally don't bother watching action movies.
    Hmmm, that does make sense, inasmuch as I also thought the plot/charachter interactions were a little superficial and possibly a bit garbled, I just forgave it because the book moved so well and I liked the atmospherics. I ordinarily dont much like Matrix-style action movies either and require a good plot. Dunno though, for me it worked amazingly well despite the flaws.