magic system question

Hey I am a new reader of fantasy, and I am looking for book recommendations. What I'm looking for is good vs evil magicians who learn to use a wide variety of magic. For examples, harnessing the power of fire, water, wind, lightning, mind reading, mind control, teleporting, shape-shifting, being able to move objects with their mind, etc. The evil magician is extremely powerful, and the good magician gradually improves through practice or study to be able to contend with him/her. I looked up a list on goodreads titled 'most interesting magic system' and I'm reading the first book on the list which is mistborn, and while it is really good so far, the magic was nothing like what I was specifically looking for. I have recently learned that the use of 'elemental magic' has a reputation as cliché among avid readers of fantasy, but since I am a new reader, it's all new to me. So based on the magic system I'm looking for, what are the books I should put to the top of my 'to read' list? ps- all I've really read so far is the harry potter series. Thanks for your help!

The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Feist is really good. It's two books, but they also have the book titled 'Magician' which has both books combined in one. This was one of the earlier Fantasy books I've read. There is nothing too out of ordinary, and the magic system has nothing spectacular but is well done. I would reccomend this to anyone new to fantasy because it is an easy read and very well written.

You see this kind of magic more often in some of the older fantasy (like 70s, 80s, and 90s fantasy). If you don't mind a D&D feel, you might try Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms. You'll also see magic somewhat along these lines from authors like Terry Brooks, Raymond E. Feist, and David Eddings. A little more recently, you have Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, which has some classic elements stuff, but with a few twists (that you weave together different elements).

Is there a reason you're looking for this specific kind of magic? Do you plan on writing a story using it?

I suppose I could also recommend fantasy video games. Elemental magic is very popular in RPGs. I know a lot of people disparage elemental magic, but I don't see the problem if it's done well.

There are lots of elemental magic stories. Are you interested in all sorts of fantasy ones or just secondary world fantasy?

all types I guess mainly secondary world or primary world with a dark ages (or earlier) setting, but as long as they use elemental magic, I'm interested the more the merrier

Thanks for the replies so far btw!
    Last edited by nebularain005; December 6th, 2014 at 07:25 PM.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    The most obvious use of elemental magic I can think of would be Codex Alera by Jim Butcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Davis Ashura View Post
    The most obvious use of elemental magic I can think of would be Codex Alera by Jim Butcher.
    How could I forget Codex Alera. That's one of my favorite series ever. I guess it's because Butcher does the system so well you don't even realize it's an elemental system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaigon View Post
    The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Feist is really good. It's two books, but they also have the book titled 'Magician' which has both books combined in one. This was one of the earlier Fantasy books I've read. There is nothing too out of ordinary, and the magic system has nothing spectacular but is well done. I would reccomend this to anyone new to fantasy because it is an easy read and very well written.
    I recommend this series as well.

Actually, the entirety of the collection is fully encompassing of what you want. The last three books he has written definitely touches on the use of good and evil magic.

Cool thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming

Hey Ryan to answer your question not looking to write I'm not that talented haha, just looking to find some good reads, I wish I could though, maybe one day if I get some clever ideas

Hey KatG, if it's not too much trouble, could you give me all the ones that come to your mind? I'm looking to make a list of books to read and thanks for your help!

OK:

YA series Vampire Academy -- the vampires' magic is elemental based.
    Jennifer Estep's Spider/Elemental Assassin series -- contemporary fantasy
    Sherry Thomas, Elemental trilogy -- sec world
    Terra Harmony, Akasha series -- contemporary
    Leigh Bardugo, The Grisha series -- sec world
    Mia Marshall, Elements series -- contemporary
    Jon Messenger, World Aflame series -- contemporary
    Rachel Caine, Weather Warden series -- contemporary
    Sharon Green, Blending series -- sec world
    Tanya Huff, Quartered series -- sec world
    Laurie J. Marks, Elemental Logic series -- sec world
    Morgan Llywelyn, The Elementals -- historical fantasy
    Midori Snyder, The Queen's Quarter series -- sec world
    Don Callander, Pyromancer series -- sec world, comic
    Marjorie B. Kellog, The Dragon Quartet -- sec world
    Tracy Hickman & Margaret Weis, The Death Gate Cycle series -- post-apoc futuristic fantasy
    Erin Hoffman, The Chaos Knight series -- sec world/portal
    John Forrester, Blacklight Chronicles series -- sec world

Plus Sanderson, Butcher, etc.

wow you are awesome thanks a lot!

The Belgariad would be a good start. I consider it a classic (some would disagree) especially for starting out. The way magic is done in the book, is very well explained. Also it's a very funny book (series) in places

Ok thanks ochos