Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

October 2011 SF Discussion Nominations

Hi all,

Time for some nominations for a September discussion book. Here's the "rules":

1. Everyone can nominate one book and second a reasonably small number of other books.
    2. Books must be available new in US and UK (I just check the two Amazons for this). They should also be in a format other than hardcover, so as to keep costs down.
    3. Books must be standalone or book 1 in a series (usually not a problem in SF).
    4. They can't have been book club books before. The nearly complete list of previous discussions can be found here.

I'll throw this out having heard almost nothing about it: Ready Player One looks really intriguing to me...

I've always wanted to read something by Adam Roberts (who has never been in the book club) - Yellow Blue Tibia sounds pretty good and is available new in both US & UK paperback editions.

I'll add another vote to Ready Player One - it'll give me the perfect excuse to read it again!

I really want to do Adam Roberts soon, too. Maybe we can pick two months again if we get more takers for both of them.

I'll be in for either book. I'm doing this to broaden my horizons I've read a lot of golden age, but not a lot of more recent science fiction. Lately its been a lot of fantasy- well actually most recently is been mostly non fiction assigned reading.

Am I allowed to nominate one that was nominated for September but not taken up? If so - The Carpet Makers by Andreas Eschbach ... I really want to read this one. If not, that's ok, I'll read it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    I really want to do Adam Roberts soon, too. Maybe we can pick two months again if we get more takers for both of them.
    Sounds good. I'll wait to second one in case someone else comes along with another suggestion..

Looks like we have about the same amount of interest in three really different books here. How about we just take them for our next three months, which will give us some really different stuff to read for a while? Does anyone have a strong preference of order between the three of them for Oct/Nov/Dec?

Ready Player One
    Yellow Blue Tibia
    Carpet Makers

I'm up for Ready Player One too - sounds like a fun read.

Is there a September discussion book? I couldn't see a thread anywhere...

Yes, Flowers for Algernon for September.

I'm happy with whatever order.
    Looking forward to all of these ...

It sounds really good but Ready Player One doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet.

edit - maybe it is; the listing in Amazon show the paperback as both available and unavailable but I think they're just different publishers.
    Last edited by Ropie; August 30th, 2011 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropie View Post
    It sounds really good but Ready Player One doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet.

edit - maybe it is; the listing in Amazon show the paperback as both available and unavailable but I think they're just different publishers.
    This one looks available: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ready-Player...4713033&sr=8-1

I like it when they list a bunch of different ones that are all the same and only some of them are available even though they all look to be just the same thing...

From the bits i've seen around, Ready Player One sounds like a great read! Let's start there

And already nominated Adam Roberts for September BotM thread (albeit for Stone), so definitely second him.

Carpet Makers...dunno. "The Carpet Makers comes to us through the literary intercession of Orson Scott Card" doesn't help either...so let's indeed push that one to december

Cheers,

Sfinx.