Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharon Shinn

A Fantasy Freak
    Originally posted by Rachel
    I read Lickiss' Eccentric Circles and didn't enjoy it very much ... it was certainly light and at times had the potential of being fun, but a lot of the time I was just annoyed by it. :lol:
    --Rachel
    I know exactly what you mean...I read Eccentic after I finished Never After and was disappointed. *l* It was annoying in parts. NA was a much better effort. :-)

Well, I'll have to give Never After a try then.
    --Rachel

Well, Rachel already knows this from other boards, but here goes:
    I've read The Shape-Changer's Wife and Archangel so far and I must admit, I was less than impressed. Both books felt very unoriginal and and predictable. Also, although I like a bit of romance in my SFF, neither of them worked for me in these books. I also found some of Archangel to not make any sense, but I won't say what because it's a spoiler. I do plan on reading Shinn's other books though. Maybe those two books just didn't come together because they were her first two.

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again. You need to read Summers at Castle Auburn.

A new Sharon Shinn book from her Angel trilogy is coming out in March, I think. Called Miranda or something. I posted info about it on another board but I'm too lazy to dig it up right now.
    --Rachel

Leisure time optimizer Moderator Nimea's Avatar
    It's called Angelica.

One of the many books I am waiting for - all of them to be published during March and April.

Ah. Well, I knew it was a name of some sort.

As an update -- Quaisior recently read Summers at Castle Auburn and and says that she really enjoyed it.
    --Rachel

I read "the Shape-Changer's Wife" and I liked the low-key, straightforward writing. It was well worth it.

Will get some more of her books. Thanks

Brid/Katie

Some Sharon Shinn news -- The Shape-Changer's Wife is going to be reprinted in August.
    --Rachel

I started reading Troubled Waters. I got pretty far and the reading was OK but...
    Not a lot is happpening and I am getting a Pride and Prejudice in fantasyland vibe.
    I have two books right under it on my nightstand so kind of hard to continue.

Writer, Artist, Beeyotch ShandaLear's Avatar
    I love her. Loved the Archangel/Samaria books but actually preferred the 12 Houses series.

Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    Yay for thread necromancy

I only read Summers in Castle Auburn and found it ok, but too predictable (it's really more of a YA book). I'm hoping to read Archangel at some point.

She has a new book coming out in April -- The Shape of Desire. It got a starred review from PW.

One more vote.

I reckon her best work is The Shape-Changer's Wife; I say that because it deals with with adults in an adult way. Her Samaria books are sort of OK, but I think they started better than they went on. Heart of Gold was, I thought, toxic, just a crude, naive, heart-on-sleeve treatment of obvious material in an obvious way. Summers at Castle Auburn is not listed (on her site) with her YA stuff, but surely ought to be--a teen girl's book.

More generally, her work seems with passing time to morph ever further into romance with a vaguely sfnal turn.