Results 1 to 15 of 64

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    \m/ BEER \m/ Moderator Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Near Cows in the Garden State
    Posts
    10,907

    2012 Upcoming Releases-Science Fiction

    Caliban's War (The Expanse #2) by James SA Corey (Abraham & Franck)

    Arctic Rising by Tobias Buckell - First non-media novel from Buckell in quite some time, looks to be an eco-thriller. I'm looking forward to it.

    The Age of Aztec (Pantheon Saga #4) by James Lovegrove

  2. #2
    Read interesting books
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ada, MI, USA
    Posts
    2,812
    Some of the asap titles for me that were not on Rob's list; will add more as I find out about them

    A Rising Thunder by D. Weber and possibly its (already written) sequel
    “The Great Game” by Lavie Tidhar.
    “Ghost Spin” by Chris Moriarty.
    “Blue Remembered Earth” by Alastair Reynolds.
    “In the Mouth of the Whale” by Paul McAuley
    “Angelmaker” by Nick Harkaway.
    “Pearlant” by M. John Harrison.
    “Black Opera” by Mary Gentle
    The new Peter Hamilton (North Road??)

  3. #3
    Registered User Pennarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Rimouski, Canada
    Posts
    330
    The Fractal Prince by Hannu Rajaniemi (sequel to The Quantum Thief)

  4. #4
    Read interesting books
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ada, MI, USA
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennarin View Post
    The Fractal Prince by Hannu Rajaniemi (sequel to The Quantum Thief)
    That's September 23, 2011 actually (UK) and a book I am interested in and may get on publication despite being so-so on TQT.

  5. #5
    Registered User Werthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,645
    reposting from the combined SFF list, with the fantasy titles removed:

    January 2012
    Shadows Alive (Unnecessary and Unwanted Ender Cash-In Hack Job #4,713) by Orscon Scott Card
    Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's Children #1) by Alastair Reynolds

    February 2012
    2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson (apparently on hold until late 2012 now)
    Arctic Rising by Tobias Buckell

    March 2012
    The Fractal Prince (Quantum Thief #2) by Hannu Rajaniemi
    Hide Me Among the Graves by Tim Powers

    April 2012
    Pearlant (Kefahuchi Tract ((sounds like a form of bowel surgery)) Trilogy #3) by M. John Harrison

    May 2012
    Caliban's War (The Expanse #2) by James SA Corey (Daniel Abraham & Ty Franck)
    Intruder (Foreigner #13) by CJ Cherryh
    The Twelve (The Passage #2) by Justin Cronin

    August 2012
    The Middle Kingdom (Chung Kuo #3) by David Wingrove
    vN (Von Neumann Sisters #1) by Madeline Ashby

    Mid-Late 2012
    Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton
    Lowball (Wild Cards #22), edited by George R.R. Martin
    The Coldest War (Milkweed Triptych #2) by Ian Tregellis (finally!)
    Stonemouth by Iain Banks
    In the Mouth of the Whale by Paul J. McAuley
    Existence by David Brin

    Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    That's September 23, 2011 actually (UK) and a book I am interested in and may get on publication despite being so-so on TQT.
    Both the UK and US releases appear to have been delayed until late 2012. That's certainly backed up by there being no UK cover art for it yet, something that wouldn't be the case for a book coming out in three weeks' time.
    Last edited by Werthead; September 2nd, 2011 at 08:14 AM.

  6. #6
    Lemurs!!! Moderator Erfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Up a tree
    Posts
    4,880
    Is Stonemouth Culture or non-Culture Banks?

  7. #7
    Registered User Luke_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    ...
    Mid-Late 2012
    ...
    In the Mouth of the Whale by Paul J. McAuley
    ...
    19 January according the man himself.

  8. #8
    \m/ BEER \m/ Moderator Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Near Cows in the Garden State
    Posts
    10,907
    Completely stolen from a post made by Werthead...


    Tor's Spring/Summer 2012 Catalogue


    Of interest:

    John Scalzi's Redshirts, the cover of which doubles as the cover of the catalogue

    The Coldest War by Ian Tregillis (Milkweed #2, finally!!)

  9. #9
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    According to David Weber, the second Stephanie Harrington book should be out next year, this time co-authored with Jane Lindskold. With Weber busy with the movie, Honorverse, Safehold and likely other things, I'm not too surprised by that. Hopefully it'll help even out what could have been a very unbalanced series.

  10. #10
    Read interesting books
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ada, MI, USA
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    According to David Weber, the second Stephanie Harrington book should be out next year, this time co-authored with Jane Lindskold. With Weber busy with the movie, Honorverse, Safehold and likely other things, I'm not too surprised by that. Hopefully it'll help even out what could have been a very unbalanced series.
    I think that was the plan from the get go for the YA series, to be written by Jane Lindskold on the DW outline and editing; personally I think the series will not survive too much unless it is a mega bestseller as DW is way too busy with HH and Safehold, not to speak that he is trying to revive the Bazhell series (War Maid's Choice is tbp July 2012) which is a personal favorite of his but did not sell that well so he put it aside for a long time...

  11. #11
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    I think that was the plan from the get go for the YA series, to be written by Jane Lindskold on the DW outline and editing; personally I think the series will not survive too much unless it is a mega bestseller as DW is way too busy with HH and Safehold, not to speak that he is trying to revive the Bazhell series (War Maid's Choice is tbp July 2012) which is a personal favorite of his but did not sell that well so he put it aside for a long time...
    I don't think it has to survive long. I think four books would be long enough. I mean Steph was, what, fourteen at the end? Sixteen? I forget. I can see her becoming a young adult and then what after that? Job interviews with a treecat on her shoulder?

  12. #12
    Read interesting books
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ada, MI, USA
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    I don't think it has to survive long. I think four books would be long enough. I mean Steph was, what, fourteen at the end? Sixteen? I forget. I can see her becoming a young adult and then what after that? Job interviews with a treecat on her shoulder?
    Speaking of Stephanie, there is a very nice reference (which may get expanded in future volumes) to her in A Rising Thunder as the treecats have Memory Singers which literally remember in images and Honor was a little wistful about the eventual possibility to experience first hand scenes from her ancestress' life

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •