Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

2012 Upcoming Releases-Fantasy & Horror

Now is as good a time as any to start looking ahead to next year's releases (as if some of us haven't been looking to 2012 releases since last year...

The King's Blood (Dagger and the Coin #2) by Daniel Abraham. My feelings on The Dragon's Path are fairly well known, so at this point, only one other book do I anticipate more...

Caine's Law (Acts of Caine #4) by Matthew Stover

Seven Princes (Book of the Shaper #1) by John R. Fultz - this is a new Epic Fantasy from Orbit, who seems to have a good track record. In their Fall/Winter 2011/2012 catalog this one got a two page spread

A Path to the Coldness of Heart (Dread Empire #8) by Glen Cook

The Wind Through the Keyhole (Dark Tower #4.5) by Stephen King

The Hammer and the Blade (Egil and Nix #1) by Paul S. Kemp - Kemp's first non-shared world novel, I'm really looking forward to this one publishing with Angry Robot

Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron - omnibus of the debut trilogy. Seems like a fun set of books.

Cold Days (Dresden Files #14) by Jim Butcher

King of Thorns (Broken Empire #2) by Mark Lawrence

The Daylight War (The Demon Cycle #3) by Peter V. Brett

Read interesting books
    Some of the asap titles for me that were not on Rob's list; will add more as I find out about them

The Blinding Knife by B. Weeks
    Night of the Swarm by R. Redick
    The Daemon Prism by C. Berg
    Red Sun 4 by M. Newton
    “The Outcast Blade” by Jon Courtenay Grimwood
    “Heir of Novron” by Michael J. Sullivan (includes book 6!!)
    “Throne of the Crescent Moon” by Saladin Ahmed.
    “The Master of Heathcrest Hall” by Galen Beckett.
    “Glamour In Glass” by Mary Robinette Kowal.
    “The Black Mausoleum” by Stephen Deas.
    “The Killing Moon” by N.K. Jemisin
    Fortune's Wheel by Jo Graham

Analyze That
    A Memory of Light by Jordan/Sanderson
    Storm of the Dead (#3 of Sea Beggars) and Sea Beggars Omnibus by Paul Kearney

(Kearney's also doing a novelization of Sparticus, Blood and Sand called Morituri but I'm less interested in that).

Is this thread only for posting releases, or are we allowed to drool as well?

The ones I'm looking forward to so far are Cold Days and King of Thorns. I can't wait! And The Cold Commands as well, although that doesn't quite count as 2012.

Skirmish (The House War: Book Four) by Michelle West, due Jan 3rd - There are virtually no mentions of this series on this site, which imo is a serious oversight. Set in the same Essalyien world as her Hunter's Duology & 6 novel Sun Sword series, this book is supposed to be the first in this series set entirely post-Sun Sword, telling the story of the war for succession in House Terrafin.

I haven't given much attention yet to what else is (or may be) due in 2012, but I am aware of [all dates U.S.]:

Cold Days (The Dresden Files: Book Fourteen) by Jim Butcher, no date announced

The Order of the Scales (The Adamantine Palace: Book Three) by Stephen Deas, due Feb 7th in the U.S.

City of Dragons (The Rain Wilds Chronicles: Book Three by Robin Hobb, due Feb 7th

The Blinding Knife (The Lightbringer Series: Book Two) by Brett Weeks, tentatively scheduled Sept. 1st. First three chapters as currently written here: http://www.brentweeks.com/extras/the...knife-excerpt/

A Red Country (Standalone set in same world as The First Law Trilogy, BSC & Heroes) by Joe Abercrombie, "hoped for" late-Summer/early Fall

Untitled (The Stormlight Archive: Book Two) by Brandon Sanderson, currently estimated between Fall 2012 - Spring 2013.
    Last edited by AmethystOrator; September 2nd, 2011 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    The King's Blood (Dagger and the Coin #2) by Daniel Abraham. My feelings on The Dragon's Path are fairly well known, so at this point, only one other book do I anticipate more...
    Will certainly be buying this, but I'm not exactly excited about it. I don't know why.

The Wind Through the Keyhole (Dark Tower #4.5) by Stephen King
    Got mine already paid for!

Mine:
    Thief's Covenant (Widdershins #1(?)) - Ari Marmell. One of Pyr's first in a range of YA fantasy. I must confess the only reason I coughed up money for this already is I absolutely adore the cover, and I just have to have it!

Shadow's Master (Shadowy series of shadows #3) - Jon Sprunk. Kit <3 But seriously, I've really enjoyed Jon's series so far, and I want to see where it goes and what happens. Plus Kit is lovely.

Princeps (Imager Portfolio #5) - L.E. Modesitt, Jr. Continuation of the second Imager Portfolio trilogy. Scholar is out in a couple of months, so this is more of a "certain buy" than anything I'm looking forward to at this moment.

*Unknown Title* (Legends of the Red Sun #4) - Mark Charan Newton. Final book in a slightly wobbly (For me) series. Very interested to see what he does with it, especially with China Miéville giving him a little present for it.

Forged in Fire (Black Blade/Sarah Beauhall #3) - J.A. Pitts. More Sarah Beauhall. Yesssssss

Libriomancer - Jim C. Hines. First book in a new series. I have the preview on my iPod from Kitemaster, but I've not read it and I won't, because I know I'll want it more.

The Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson, first novel of the Kharkanas trilogy. Erikson is already half done the novel. I think its suppose to come out next year.

January 2012
    Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear
    Shadows Alive (Unnecessary and Unwanted Ender Cash-In Hack Job #4,713) by Orscon Scott Card
    Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's Children #1) by Alastair Reynolds
    Skirmish (The House War #4) by Michelle West
    City of the Lost by Stephen Blackmoore
    Seven Princes (Book of the Shaper #1) by John R. Fultz
    A Path to the Coldness of Heart (Dread Empire #8) by Glen Cook

February 2012
    2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson
    Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce
    The Minority Council (Matthew Swift #4) by Kate Griffin
    Arctic Rising by Tobias Buckell
    Glamour in Glass (Shades of Milk and Honey #2) by Mary Robinette Kowal
    Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed
    City of Dragons (Rain Wild Chronicles #3) by Robin Hobb

March 2012
    Hollow City by Dan Wells
    The Fractal Prince (Quantum Thief #2) by Hannu Rajaniemi
    The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R. Kiernan
    Hide Me Among the Graves by Tim Powers
    Crucible of Gold (Temeraire #7) by Naomi Novik
    A Crown Imperiled (Chaoswar Saga #2) by Raymond E. Feist
    Trinity Moon (Wild Hunt #2) by Elspeth Cooper
    Morituri (a Spartacus: Blood and Sand novel) by Paul Kearney

April 2012
    The King's Blood (Dagger and the Coin #2) by Daniel Abraham
    The Black Mausoleum (Memory of Flames #4/new series #1) by Stephen Deas
    The Skybound Sea (Aeon's Gate #3) by Sam Sykes
    A Tale of Tales (Runelords #9) by David Farland (Jesus, is this thing still being published?)
    Pearlant (Kefahuchi Tract ((sounds like a form of bowel surgery)) Trilogy #3) by M. John Harrison
    Caine's Law (Acts of Caine #4) by Matt Stover

May 2012
    Caliban's War (The Expanse #2) by James SA Corey (Daniel Abraham & Ty Franck)
    The Killing Moon (Dreamblood #1) by NK Jemisin
    Intruder (Foreigner #13) by CJ Cherryh
    The Twelve (The Passage #2) by Justin Cronin
    Night of the Swarm (Chathrand Voyage #4) by Robert VS Redick
    Railsea by China Mieville

June 2012
    Mikalagard (Wolfsangel #3) by M.D. Lachlan
    Bitterblue (Graceling #3) by Kristin Cashore

July 2012
    The Dusk Watchmen (Twilight Reign #5) by Tom Lloyd
    Shadow's Master (Shadow Saga #3) by Jon Sprunk
    The Hammer and the Blade (Egil and Nix #1) by Paul S. Kemp
    The Unholy Consult (Aspect-Emperor #3) by R. Scott Bakker*

* This sounds highly optimistic considering RSB is maybe halfway through the book at absolute best, but apparently his pubs are confident of hitting it.

August 2012
    The Middle Kingdom (Chung Kuo #3) by David Wingrove
    vN (Von Neumann Sisters #1) by Madeline Ashby

November 2012
    A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time Book 14) by Brandon Sanderson and Robert Jordan**

** This is subject to change, but most likely forwards. Sanderson is just reaching the halfway point and says he can be done by January. They want more time for editing, but even if they took twice as long as the last two books it could still be out in Summer 2012. It depends on how they want to market it and prepare for it.

Mid-Late 2012
    Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton
    The Air War (Shadows of the Apt #8) by Adrian Tchaikovsky
    Forge of Darkness (Kharkanas Trilogy #1) by Steven Erikson
    The World of Ice and Fire (Song of Ice and Fire companion book) by George R.R. Martin, Elio Garcia & Linda Antonsson
    Dangerous Women, edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois (including Dunk 'n' Egg #4)
    Lowball (Wild Cards #22), edited by George R.R. Martin
    A Red Country by Joe Abercrombie
    The Wind Through the Keyhole (Dark Tower #8) by Stephen King
    Dragon Blood (Rain Wild Chronicles #4) by Robin Hobb
    Godborn (Cycle of Night #1) by Paul S. Kemp
    Black Opera by Mary Gentle
    The Three Princes War by Pierre Pevel
    The Coldest War (Milkweed Triptych #2) by Ian Tregellis (finally!)
    The Daylight War (The Demon Cycle #3) by Peter V. Brett
    Requiem (Psalms of Isaak #4) by Ken Scholes
    King of Thorns (Broken Empire #2) by Mark Lawrence
    Endlords (Sword of Shadows #5) by JV Jones
    The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer #2) by Brent Weeks
    Princeps (Imager Portfolio #5) by LE Modesitt Jr.
    Stonemouth by Iain Banks
    Cold Days (Dresden Files #14) by Jim Butcher
    The Sea-Beggars (Sea Beggars omnibus, including the new Book 3, Storm of the Dead) by Paul Kearney
    In the Mouth of the Whale by Paul J. McAuley

Tales of the Ketty Jay #4 by Chris Wooding (maybe)
    Gravedigger Chronicles #2 by Alan Campbell (maybe)
    A King in Cobwebs (Durand Col #3) by David Keck (maybe)
    Assail (Novels of the Malazan Empire #4) by Ian Cameron Esslemont
    Last edited by Werthead; September 2nd, 2011 at 08:06 AM.

The Daemon Prism - Carol Berg - January

Locus doesn't have anything listed past March and that's the only one there that's attracting my interest.

Though, according to Wert's list I'd like to read The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin.

Think Adam might have been thinking about this one?

Really looking forward to the Chung-Kuo stuff myself.

-Justin

Quote Originally Posted by RolandDeschain View Post
    The Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson, first novel of the Kharkanas trilogy. Erikson is already half done the novel. I think its suppose to come out next year.
    Good choice here. Erikson's a writing machine! Can't wait for his new series to come out. Any idea if Esslemont will collaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Good choice here. Erikson's a writing machine! Can't wait for his new series to come out. Any idea if Esslemont will collaborate?
    I don't think they will collaborate on a book together. They haven't so far. But Esselmont has a book that's suppose to come out late this year (or early next year) and he's got 2 more coming out after that. The one coming out this year is titled "Orb, Sceptre, Throne". The next one, as of today Esselmont called it "City in the Jungle" but that title might change and his last novel is known by fans as "Assail" since its suppose to deal with the continent of Assail.

Erikson has two trilogies to do now. One being this Kharkanas trilogy that deals with Mother Dark, the city of Kharkanas and Anomander Rake. His next trilogy is simply knows as "The Toblakai trilogy" and will deal with the character "Karsa Orlong".

Most people on this board probably already knew this, but hopefully this will be news to someone.

Cheers,

Some good stuff coming. Caine's Law is my most anticipated. I probably won't be able to resist a new Dark Tower, though. Ditto for Erikson's new one even though I'm admittedly more interested in the Toblakai trilogy. In addition:

Moorcock's The Whispering Swarm might make it out in 2012, although I believe he's said that progress is very slow right now. Stackpole's final Crown Colonies volume Ungrateful Rabble should be out by the end of 2012 assuming that book two holds to the December 2011 date Nighshade has listed.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Really looking forward to the Chung-Kuo stuff myself.
    Am a fan myself. Just finished Book 2 for review - don't think you'll be disappointed (though it is SF, not Fantasy!).

Mark
    Mark

I don't think they will collaborate on a book together. They haven't so far. But Esselmont has a book that's suppose to come out late this year (or early next year) and he's got 2 more coming out after that. The one coming out this year is titled "Orb, Sceptre, Throne". The next one, as of today Esselmont called it "City in the Jungle" but that title might change and his last novel is known by fans as "Assail" since its suppose to deal with the continent of Assail.
    Has he changed his mind again? The next one (after Orb, Sceptre, Throne, which is set in Darujhistan and is the sequel to Erikson's Toll the Hounds) was supposed to be Assail and the last one was going to be set on Jacuruku. But City in the Jungle sounds like a reference to Jacuruku.