Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    I can add to that that there is a Bitter Seeds re-release scheduled for June, which as we know often coincides with a new book.

Completely stolen from a post made by Werthead...

Tor's Spring/Summer 2012 Catalogue

Of interest:

the Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories edited by Ann & Jeff VanderMeer

Not from Tor, but a re-issue of Silverberg's Lord Valentine's Castle is on the way from Roc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Wow. I saw just two books I want - Forged in Fire and that steampunk graphic novel (The Battle of Blood and Ink), which itself probably counts as SF.

Completely stolen from a post made by Werthead...

Tor's Spring/Summer 2012 Catalogue

Of interest:

the Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories edited by Ann & Jeff VanderMeer

Not from Tor, but a re-issue of Silverberg's Lord Valentine's Castle is on the way from Roc.
    Interesting line up. I can see where what there is of my free cash is going in May. I'm glad to see TOR publishing The Weird. They've kept Hartwell's The Dark Descent in print for years, so this is promising.

Randy M.

Interesting Tor catalogue; thanks.

The Weird is landmark, and I must have it of course [didn't know Tor was the publisher], but beyond that things look a little shaky, yeah. I love Scalzi's novels very much, for several reasons, but I find the only thing of his I really reread is still Old Man's War, so Redshirts may be a library book for me. I've never tried David Brin's stuff -- massive oversight I know -- so I'm very, very curious about Existence, but hard sf, and more specifically the kinds of hard sf that PNH and the rest of Tor tend toward publishing, are very hit-or-miss for me, ranging from M.J. Locke's [for me] quite successful Up Against It from earlier this year to hot-button issue sf thrillers which look very exciting at a glance but come a massive damp squib on closer inspection. [Apologies if I'm using the phrase incorrectly; it came the closest to what I meant. I notice there are several of these in this summer catalogue, perhaps even more than usual -- beach reading perhaps?and while their dampness has of course yet to be determined and we must be fair, the potential for high squibitude is certainly there.] Of the new Orson Scott Card co-authored Ender prequel, and the new Goodkind, I shall not speak. J.A. Pitts' Forged in Fire, the third Sarah Beauhall book, is definitely on my watch closely list, but I'm not sure it's quite something I'd buy; based on Black Blade Blues I love what the series is doing, I'm just not sure it's doing it quite well enough for me to buy a hardcover. That sounded jerky.

Being more positive, it's really great to see a good number of the long-delayed Tor sequels getting scheduled at last. I haven't read the books that come before Warren Hammund's Kop Killer [which I know his fans have been awaiting for quite some time], Beth Bernobich's Queen's Hunt, and Anthony Huzo's Black Bottle, but now these sequels are definitely on the way maybe I should make time for a couple. Confirmation that Ian Tregillis' The Coldest War, the second Milkweed Triptych novel, is finally coming, though expected, is cause for much rejoycing, and probably the highlight of the catalogue for me. That I will buy with money.

What's still not there: Keck. Cook. Scholes [this is not done. Scholes has faced and overcome incredible challenges, sounds like.] Sarah Monette's The Goblin Emperor, which based on her blog is also not done. Sounds like it's proving a tough book to finish and there's nothing anyone can do about that. Michael Moorcock's The Whispering Swarm is also absent, so I dunno if it's somehow still supposed to make its April date, or has been delayed further [seems more likely], or what.
    And A Memory of Light, of course. I'm personally just peachy with them taking as long as they need to edit this one, even though the draft ms may be handed in imminently. Last novel of The Wheel of Time, must be something special, etc, and Towers of Midnight felt very very rough around the edges to me, if I'm being honest. Plus, getting sentimental, autumn's been new WoT season each time for most of the new releases I've been actively following the series for, and I should like to have the experience of walking down a cold, windy street and thinking of the book coming soon one more time.

Other points of interest ganked from Westeros [where I can no longer post because their forum reskin makes my aged computer explode]:

There will be new Lois McMaster Bujold in the Vorverse next year, quite definitely, it's sounding like. Bujold's posted a chapter number breakdown and word count, so it seems to be done or close. Focuses on Ivan Vorpatril, Miles Vorkosigan's pseudo-supposedly hapless cousin, and the working title is Captain Vorpatril's Alliance. Sounds excellent fun to me. Always nice to see Miles, of course, but maybe a slight change in focus character is what the series needs in order to have something punchy to say and do again.

That new epic fantasy debut that Tor UK is so over the moon about? John Gwynne's So Deep A Malice? Is apparently not coming out in March. Mark Lawrence -- a stalwart of this board, I believe, whose Prince of Thorns I still need to try -- has apparently spoken to the author, and a final release date has not been decided. Perhaps I'm getting dragged onto the hype train again, but I'm looking forward to this one.

Saladin Ahmed's put the first chapter of his debut Throne of the Crescent Moon online. It looks promising, which does not surprise me at all.

It sounds like Margo Lanagan's ya selkie novel will be Sea Hearts in the land down-under, and The Brides of Rollrock Island abroad. Release schedule is still not entirely clear to me, but it seems that NA, at least, has to wait some months after the book comes out in the Antipodes, and possibly the UK does as well, though I'm less sure about that. This is one of my personal most eagerly anticipated books of 2012 and I am counting the days.

Re: Lanagan

Uk version comes out in a few months already, February. I'm not sure it's something for me, looks a bit too feminine for my tastes, though I am intrigued by the mythology.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brides-Rollr...1100282&sr=1-1

Re: Jordan

TOR are supposed to announce soon that the book will be published in November 2012. This has seemed clear for a while now.

Re: Scholes

From that update on his blog you'd think that a late 2010 release might be possible. Personally I am also very keen on seeing the second half of Felix Gilman's Half-Made world, but there's been no word from him since the first book was released, at all.

Other notes?

Bakker: Said yesterday again that Unholy Consult will be a large closing volume, that he's still at work, and that it is "months away from submission". This means the July release date isn't going to happen I expect, but late 2012 could still work.

Steven Erikson's is forging ahead at great pace though, with "Forge of Darkness", first book in his new trilogy, coming out in August.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forge-Darkne...1114311&sr=1-2

Two books that I will soon be getting that count as late 2011/early 2012 releases are The Emperor's Knife by Mazarkis Williams and Seven Princes by John Fultz. Both look very interesting from what I've read.

Peter Brett's next book doesn't seem to be coming out until 2013. I've seen no word from Rothfuss about him being hard at work on the 3rd Kingkiller book, so I think we can safely say that that one is many years away from release.

Robin Hobb's next book is due in February in the US, and the 4th and final book has now been confirmed for Spring 2013, even though they've already been written and the 4th book is coming out in Holland next month. Also, given the size of these books I don't agree that there was a reason for splitting them, if the 4 books had been published as the two books they were intended as, they would still have been smaller books than say Wise Man's Fear, Way of Kings, Dance with Dragons, or Steven Erikson's individual entries. Massive cash grabbing is my conclusion.

Finally, a book expected to do well next year and which many here might like is "Snow Child" by debut author Eowyn Ivey. It's not published by a genre publisher, getting a lot of advance hype. Looks good to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Child-Nov...1101107&sr=1-1
    Last edited by Mithfânion; November 12th, 2011 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks for the clarification on Lanagan. Think what happened was amazon UK put up two listings and I wasn't sure which one would stick [and didn't check, evidently]. There was one for February, and one for September, which I believe is now the NA date.

Oh, I would have been very surprised if A Memory of Light had come out any time but November -- and would have been from the beginning of the process. I just figured it was best not to treat it as a sure thing.

Yeah, Scholes sounds like he's very active on Requiem again, so at an uneducated guess it sounds as if next autumn's doable for that one, which is great. Third of Jay Lake's Green novels next year, as well. Shame about Gilman's book remaining absent; hope all goes well with it.

Thanks for the Bakker update; I hadn't seen that. Doesn't the editorial/production process for those take some months? I'd be very surprised if we saw this in 2012; I don't quite know what Orbit was on. Guess the very end of the year's doable though, as you say.

The Hobb thing is certainly frustrating, yeah. I'd suggest it might be a case of the relative popularity of Hobb's books -- considerable, but not best-selling like Martin or Rothfuss -- being insufficient to justify the printing of a larger volume, but that doesn't account for Erikson, whose books have only recently become popular enough to justify their shelf-breaking size according to that logic. So yeah, possibly a bit of cash-grabbing going on there, but oh well, it's not too blatant and everybody's gotta eat. Hobb certainly deserves it, and the publisher's gotta make money in these troubled times -- Hobb's Eos's biggest author isn't she, except for possibly Feist?

Given Rothfuss's work ethic -- he's big on perfection, for which I am grateful -- and the other things he seems to have going on right now, I fully expect to be waiting for Day 3 of Kingkiller for some years. He can race Martin again! Lynch can join in!

Ivy book looks interesting, potentially very much to my taste if it rolls out the right way and the child isn't just a metaphor for love enduring in forbidding places or whatever. Thanks!

Oh, and one final bit of news, quite important [though most probably know]: The new Carlos Ruiz Zafon novel, El Prisionero del Cielo, is imminent in Spain [this coming week, I believe.] So, if we're very very lucky, we might just maybe see the translation late next year -- probably "The Prisoner of Heaven", according to the internets. Big, big deal.

Agreed on the Snow Child book, that would be my fear as well. Best if it's substantial and real.

I've still got to read a Zafon book.

Re; Hobb. It's not something that upsets a huge deal, it's just that they are making it a very, very long wait for English language readers, and that they are cutting a book in two that doesn't need to be, and doing it twice even, it's all bad form if you ask me. It's clear cash grabbing and while it's understandable, you're not being particularly generous to your fans by making them wait so long and telling them to fork out twice as much for a book.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post
    Oh, and one final bit of news, quite important [though most probably know]: The new Carlos Ruiz Zafon novel, El Prisionero del Cielo, is imminent in Spain [this coming week, I believe.] So, if we're very very lucky, we might just maybe see the translation late next year -- probably "The Prisoner of Heaven", according to the internets. Big, big deal.
    I can confirm that all the main Zafon heroes from both TSoW and TAG return here, so David Martin is back too as the title character (prisoner of the sky), while Daniel Sempere narrates in the present and Fermin has the backstory; hope to have the book by Thursday latest since what i read so far about it is really exciting

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Fall 2011/Winter 2012 Catalog from Orbit has a number of 2012 releases. Note that many times the covers in this are not "finalized" for instance the Riyria Revelations covers and I believe the Seven Princes is different in their released versions. But if you are just looking for titles there are quite a few in here:

JANUARY 2012
    HEIR OF NOVRON: VOLUME 3 IN THE RIYRIA REVELATIONS SERIES by MICHAEL J. SULLIVAN
    THE OUTCAST BLADE: ACT TWO OF THE ASSASSINI by JON COURTENAY GRIMWOOD
    SEVEN PRINCES: BOOKS OF THE SHAPER BOOK 1 by JOHN R. FULTZ
    SILVER-TONGUED DEVIL: SABINA KANE BOOK 4 by JAYE WELLS
    WIZARD UNDERCOVER: ROGUE AGENT BOOK 4 by K.E. MILLS

FEBRUARY 2012
    2312 by KIM STANLEY ROBINSON
    CHASING THE MOON by A. LEE MARTINEZ
    THE DREAD: THE FALLEN KINGS CYCLE BOOK 2 by GAIL Z. MARTIN
    THE FOURTH WALL by WALTER JON WILLIAMS
    THE LEGEND OF ELI MONPRESS: PART I by RACHEL AARON
    THE TROUPE by ROBERT JACKSON BENNETT

MARCH 2012
    EMPEROR MOLLUSK VS.THE SINISTER BRAIN by A. LEE MARTINEZ
    TIMELESS: THE PARASOL PROTECTORATE BOOK THE FIFTH by GAIL CARRIGER
    THE DEALER OF DREAMS: MATTHEW SWIFT BOOK 4 by KATE GRIFFIN
    EXOGENE 35: THE SUBTERRENE WAR BOOK 2 by T.C. MCCARTHY
    VENGEANCE: THE TAINTED REALM BOOK 1 by IAN IRVINE
    Last edited by sullivan_riyria; November 15th, 2011 at 01:20 PM.

The fine folks at Orbit sent me a copy of Seven Princes so I'll likely be reading that one in the next couple of months.

I'm also looking forward to that Eli Monpress omnibus. I loves me those omnibii.

Seems - to me, personally - a largely disappointing show from Orbit there, no offence to yourself Mr Sullivan.

Looks like sequels, sequels, paranormal romance, sequels, poor covers (what on Earth possessed them to give Gail Carriger's last two books the most vile covers ever created?) and all that.

I'll be interested to see the release thingy for Spring/Summer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Seems - to me, personally - a largely disappointing show from Orbit there, no offence to yourself Mr Sullivan.
    Funny, I was just sort of thinking that. Lots of sequels and/or #3 or #4 in series. I am looking forward to some of them, but would have liked to see some standalone/book #1

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    I'll be interested to see the release thingy for Spring/Summer, though.
    Here's a collage of the covers:
    http://www.orbitbooks.net/2011/09/30...s-early-looks/
    The catalogue can be found here:
    http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/tra..._catalogs.aspx

Of interest (and likely mentioned, maybe even by me) earlier in the thread:
    The King's Blood by Daniel Abraham

Of interest (and likely mentioned, maybe even by me) earlier in the thread:
    The King's Blood by Daniel Abraham
    Seems to be about it for me, sadly. Of course, I'll be getting the next book in The Expanse, but that's SF.

Can't remember if I mentioned it, but I'm looking forward to Thief's Covenant by Ari Marmell, the first YA title to be published by Pyr next year. Got my copy on order and paid for.

Having read 2 of Mr. Marmell's books, and thoroughly enjoying both, I'm looking forward to this one myself. He's got a terrific sense of humor.