Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 301
  1. #181
    \m/ BEER \m/ Moderator Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Near Cows in the Garden State
    Posts
    10,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithfânion View Post
    And also pretty cool, there is a new Brom novel coming out, a few years after his quite successful "The Child Thief". It is called Krampus: The Yule Lord and from the 500 page count listing it seems to be another large novel for adults. Interesting. This is due October 30th.
    Now this has me VERY interested. Since I was a kid, I was threatened around Christmas time that if I wasn't good, the Krampus might make a visit.

  2. #182
    Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    3,380
    An update from Tor, their listing is up now on Amazon up until 2013. Sadly there are a few disappointments.

    I wonder what Tor's lead title will be for the fall, now that A Memory of Light is moved to winter? Perhaps the new Goodkind which is supposed to be coming out in August but will inevitably get bumped. I could see Tor having a fairly epic fantasy-heavy fall/winter: There's AMoL, the new Erikson [I'm assuming they are publishing this in the States], the new Goodkind for those as like that sort of thing, hopefully Jones' Endlords, Glen Cook's Working the Gods' Mischief, which is on Tor's IOU list and I understand has now been done for a while, almost certainly Jay Lake's Calimpura, and possibly Requiem by Ken Scholes. I don't know if they've got much in the way of debuts or pleasant surprises, save for Tina Connolly's debut Ironskin [Jane Eyre with faeries], which they're supposed to be publishing in the fall.
    No JV Jones, unfortunately. Another major novel in epic fantasy to move to 2013. No Glen Cook, in case you were wondering. No Jay Lake. And even no Ken Scholes.

    Rise of Ransom City by Gilman has been pushed back, but that just makes it out in 2012, it is now coming out on November 27th.

    Non-Tor updates:

    Justin Cronin's The Twelve is now set for a pre-Christmas release of Dec. 18.

    And according to Werthead, Bakker's Unholy Consult will now definitely not make 2012 and it is looking like early 2013.

  3. #183
    March may play hell on my budget, not to mention my reading time:
    Hide Me Among the Graves by Tim Powers
    The Drowning Girl by Caitlin Kiernan
    Silent Voices by Gary McMahon

    The McMahon is part of a trilogy, and I still haven't gotten to the first one, The Concrete Grove; I think that's my next read.

    Randy M.

  4. #184
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suburb of Chicago
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    Over on Westeros theres a cool thread of debut stuff coming, most of this is probably here, but gonna throw this out there.

    Miles Cameron debut The Red Knight, looks like it might be cool.

    and Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards, sounds good too, kind of like a grittier Kingkiller deal with a chronicler thing going on, anyways we'll see huh?

    What are the big bad debuts or sequels for this year?
    Glad to see the interest, Kazz. The publishing marketing folk will be pleased to no end that their copy has at least intrigued. :-)

  5. #185
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suburb of Chicago
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithfânion View Post
    Also in May, an interesting looking may 1st treble by Night Shade, that being Laird Barron's long await horror novel "The Croning" , Mary Gentle's very interesting looking new Fantasy standalone "The Black Opera" and the new debut named upthread by Jeff Salyards, which sounds promising, but it's all wait and see with new authors of course.


    .
    Mithfânion,

    I completely appreciate the wait-and-see approach with newbies. I adopt the same philosophy with debuts. I know self-promotion only gets authors into trouble on forums, particularly when they just show up to pimp their own stuff and don't contribute in any meaningful way. So I am hesitant to mention it, but I'll put it out there anyway--I do have an excerpt on my site, in case you want to at least get a feel for the book.

    I'm guessing you'll want to read reviews or hear from someone you trust before you consider plunking down money--and I totally get it.

    Now, I will either join some other conversations or drop into lurking mode.

    Thanks for the "promising" comment. That's promising. ;-)

  6. #186
    Registered User JustaStaffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Salyards View Post
    Mithfânion,

    I completely appreciate the wait-and-see approach with newbies. I adopt the same philosophy with debuts. I know self-promotion only gets authors into trouble on forums, particularly when they just show up to pimp their own stuff and don't contribute in any meaningful way. So I am hesitant to mention it, but I'll put it out there anyway--I do have an excerpt on my site, in case you want to at least get a feel for the book.

    I'm guessing you'll want to read reviews or hear from someone you trust before you consider plunking down money--and I totally get it.

    Now, I will either join some other conversations or drop into lurking mode.

    Thanks for the "promising" comment. That's promising. ;-)
    There will be plenty of reviews for it before the release, I'm sure. I've already started reading it in fact.

  7. #187
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suburb of Chicago
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaStaffer View Post
    There will be plenty of reviews for it before the release, I'm sure. I've already started reading it in fact.
    Awesome! Well, presuming you don't loathe it and post a scathing critique.
    ;-)

  8. #188
    Nobody in Particular kcf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    579
    I finished up The Hunger Games by Suzzane Collins a while back and just posted my review. It's good - well worth all the buzz out there. I've also finished up Orb Sceptre Throne by Ian C. Esslemont. It's only OK - he's simply no Erikson. Review forthcoming.

    Now I'm reading Arctic Rising by Tobias Buckell. It's very good so far. And it appears that I'm reading yet another of the current 'hot topics' since it was just reviewed on NPR.

  9. #189
    Rogue Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Salyards View Post
    Glad to see the interest, Kazz. The publishing marketing folk will be pleased to no end that their copy has at least intrigued. :-)
    Right on, Jeff, your book sounds pretty cool.

    I wonder when we'll get to see a cover of the John Gwynne debut, So Deep a Malice, I think its supposed to come out in the UK in December, so might be awhile huh?

  10. #190
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suburb of Chicago
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    Right on, Jeff, your book sounds pretty cool.
    Cool beans. That sure beats the alternative. "Your book sounds like every other book I've ever read, except worse."

  11. #191
    Rogue Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Salyards View Post
    Cool beans. That sure beats the alternative. "Your book sounds like every other book I've ever read, except worse."
    Right on, Jeff. lol I hope it does good, man. Who would your biggest influences be in writing this book?

  12. #192
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suburb of Chicago
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    Right on, Jeff. lol I hope it does good, man. Who would your biggest influences be in writing this book?
    Me, too, Kazz. The publisher is taking a risk putting out debuts in hardcover, so I don't want them to look back and say, "Who the hell signed that Salyards guy? Was it you, Morrison? It was, wasn't it? You're fired. And leave the popcorn--that came out of the company popcorn maker."

    Influences, huh? Always a tough question. Here are some authors I admire who probably influenced it in some fashion: Joe Abercrobmie, Richard K. Morgan, George R.R. Martin, Bernard Cornwell, Patrick Rothfuss. But those are just the first that spring to mind.

    Tons of books, movies, alcohol, and junk food were formative.

  13. #193
    Rogue Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    903

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Salyards View Post
    Me, too, Kazz. The publisher is taking a risk putting out debuts in hardcover, so I don't want them to look back and say, "Who the hell signed that Salyards guy? Was it you, Morrison? It was, wasn't it? You're fired. And leave the popcorn--that came out of the company popcorn maker."

    Influences, huh? Always a tough question. Here are some authors I admire who probably influenced it in some fashion: Joe Abercrobmie, Richard K. Morgan, George R.R. Martin, Bernard Cornwell, Patrick Rothfuss. But those are just the first that spring to mind.

    Tons of books, movies, alcohol, and junk food were formative.
    Not the company popcorn maker! lol

    Good influences, dude It sounds better all the time! lol

  14. #194
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suburb of Chicago
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    Not the company popcorn maker! lol

    Good influences, dude It sounds better all the time! lol

    I'm just bitter because my company doesn't have one.

    Thanks! I really hope if you decide to get the book you enjoy it.

  15. #195
    Rogue Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Salyards View Post
    I'm just bitter because my company doesn't have one.

    Thanks! I really hope if you decide to get the book you enjoy it.
    Well, maybe with all the money you're gonna make them, they can get one. lol

    Yeah, I plan on reading it, Jeff.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •