Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Okay, so for readers of children's fantasy this is huge. Enormous:

There is a new Alan Garner novel. It is the sequel to The Weirdstone of Brisingamen and The Moon of Gomrath. It has been literally decades.

The novel is entitled Boneland, and will be published in late August in the UK. Not sure about a US edition. Garner has, as I understand, moved away from publishing explicitly for children, and it sounds like this book ages the characters at least roughly comparable to the time between novel releases, so this may not be specifically a children's book. Here's a blurb:

A major novel from one of the country’s greatest writers, and the crowning achievement of an astonishing career, BONELAND is also the long-awaited conclusion to the story of Colin and Susan – a story that began over fifty years ago in THE WEIRDSTONE OF BRISINGAMEN…

IF THE SLEEPER WAKES, THE DREAM DIES…

Professor Colin Whisterfield spends his days at Jodrell Bank, using the radio telescope to look for his lost sister in the Pleiades.

At the same time, and in another time, the Watcher cuts the rock and dances, to keep the sky above the earth and the stars flying.

Colin can’t remember; and he remembers too much. Before the age of twelve years and nine months is a blank. After that he recalls everything: where he was, what he was doing, in every minute of every hour of every day.

But Colin will have to remember what happened when he was twelve, if he wants to find his sister. And the Watcher will have to find the Woman. Otherwise the skies will fall, and there will be only winter, wanderers and moon

JIm Butcher has completed writing Cold Days and his publisher is trying to have it out this year.

September 4th sees the publication of An Apple for the Creature featuring new stories by Charlaine Harris, Marjorie Liu, Thomas Sniegoski, Mike Carey, Ilona Andrews, Jonathan Maberry, Donald Harstad, Rhys Bowen, Nancy Holder, ,Faith Hunter, Amber Benson, Steve Hockensmith. Charlaine Harris and Toni L.P. Kelner. I don't know much about the short stories, but the Ilona Andrews one will be in the Kate Daniels world, centered on the character of Julie.

Quote Originally Posted by AmethystOrator View Post
    September 4th sees the publication of An Apple for the Creature featuring new stories by Charlaine Harris, Marjorie Liu, Thomas Sniegoski, Mike Carey, Ilona Andrews, Jonathan Maberry, Donald Harstad, Rhys Bowen, Nancy Holder, ,Faith Hunter, Amber Benson, Steve Hockensmith. Charlaine Harris and Toni L.P. Kelner. I don't know much about the short stories, but the Ilona Andrews one will be in the Kate Daniels world, centered on the character of Julie.
    The short story is called "Magic Tests" and features Julie as the narrator and is set after the fifth book "Magic Slays". I found it to be highly entertaining and plus Julie as a narrator is a winning prospect. More info and my thoughts about it over here.

Mihir

JIm Butcher has completed writing Cold Days and his publisher is trying to have it out this year.
    I'm excited for this one. I think Jim took a vacation on the last book writing-wise (not story) because of the rush to get it out, so I'd like to see how this one turns out.

And behold, Jim Butcher's Cold Days has a release date! [LaserWraith's already got this well-posted in the Butcher threads, I see, but for the record, since we're talking about it in here]: The novel will be released on Nov. 27, 2012. There's a blurb attached to the announcement on Butcher's site, which of course contains quite large spoilers for both Changes and Ghost Story.

I've only read Ghost Story the once, but based solely on my memory of that single experience I agree that some sections, prose-wise, felt a little "let's-all-just-get-through-this,-okay?". So I, too, am very interested to see how this one turns out. And, from a fannish perspective, ... more Dresden! Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperstorm View Post
    The short story is called "Magic Tests" and features Julie as the narrator and is set after the fifth book "Magic Slays". I found it to be highly entertaining and plus Julie as a narrator is a winning prospect. More info and my thoughts about it over here.

Mihir
    Thanks for the link Mihir. I enjoyed you write-up and am quite looking forward to the story. Any chance that you read the Mike Carey story also? I'm a big fan of his as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Marquitz View Post
    I'm excited for this one. I think Jim took a vacation on the last book writing-wise (not story) because of the rush to get it out, so I'd like to see how this one turns out.
    I'm hugely excited for it as well. Mab, Winter, Harry seeing friends, enemies and those who fall in-between and letting them know he's alive again. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, but this could be the best book yet.

As far as the writing on Cold Days (which I actually just re-read last weekend) I definitely had been disappointed on my first read through and would have agreed with your thoughts. But after thinking about it for the months since, I wonder if some of the problem might have been that the book seemed to be out of Butcher's comfort zone (at least for a TDF novel). It was more passive and introspective than usual and at the same time Butcher was trying to convey some real growth in self-awareness. I think that these were all worthy goals, but he might have bitten off more than he could chew, at least in the time that he had. So maybe the weakness that we're referring to was his taking a vacation, but I'm wondering/hoping that the problem was more in that Butcher didn't realize how challenging the novel would be.

In any event, Ghost Story is what it is and I'm optimistic that Cold Days will get the series back on track.

He announced on Twitter last night a 11/27 release for Cold Days! He also posted this on his forums.

"Once the revision of COLD DAYS is done, I will be writing the first book of my Steampunk series, which is called The Cinder Spires at the moment. The first book, (working title of 'The Aeronaut's Windlass') should be around the length of the first Alera book, and I'm planning to get it done by year's end, AT WHICH POINT I will then begin the next Dresden novel."

As far as the writing on Cold Days (which I actually just re-read last weekend) I definitely had been disappointed on my first read through and would have agreed with your thoughts. But after thinking about it for the months since, I wonder if some of the problem might have been that the book seemed to be out of Butcher's comfort zone (at least for a TDF novel). It was more passive and introspective than usual and at the same time Butcher was trying to convey some real growth in self-awareness. I think that these were all worthy goals, but he might have bitten off more than he could chew, at least in the time that he had. So maybe the weakness that we're referring to was his taking a vacation, but I'm wondering/hoping that the problem was more in that Butcher didn't realize how challenging the novel would be.
    You could be absolutely right. There was a definite shift in narrative direction that could have thrown Jim off his game. With Dresden being so entrenched as the definitive UF series, Butcher might have had some confidence issues as well, not sure just how far he wanted to go with the "new" Dresden. All of that could have impacted the writing.

Regardless, I'll pick the book up as soon as it comes out. I suspect Jim will correct whatever his issues were and we'll be treated to yet another great book in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin2209 View Post
    He announced on Twitter last night a 11/27 release for Cold Days! He also posted this on his forums.

"Once the revision of COLD DAYS is done, I will be writing the first book of my Steampunk series, which is called The Cinder Spires at the moment. The first book, (working title of 'The Aeronaut's Windlass') should be around the length of the first Alera book, and I'm planning to get it done by year's end, AT WHICH POINT I will then begin the next Dresden novel."
    I saw this. I'm not a major Steampunk fan so I'm not sure how to feel about this, but I'll definitely give it a shot.

Thanks for the link Mihir. I enjoyed you write-up and am quite looking forward to the story. Any chance that you read the Mike Carey story also? I'm a big fan of his as well.
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to. I read just the Ilona Andrews story in that collection as I wanted to review the two IL shorts released this year. I have read the first Felix Castor book years ago and thought it was a decent effort but didn't read up any of the follow up titles. Does the series get better?

Mihir

You could be absolutely right. There was a definite shift in narrative direction that could have thrown Jim off his game. With Dresden being so entrenched as the definitive UF series, Butcher might have had some confidence issues as well, not sure just how far he wanted to go with the "new" Dresden. All of that could have impacted the writing.

Regardless, I'll pick the book up as soon as it comes out. I suspect Jim will correct whatever his issues were and we'll be treated to yet another great book in the series.
    Cold Days will be crucial as I think its the beginning of Phase two in the evolution of Harry Dresden. Let's hope JB is back to the cracking form shown in the first twelve books.

Mihir

Cold Days will be crucial as I think its the beginning of Phase two in the evolution of Harry Dresden. Let's hope JB is back to the cracking form shown in the first twelve books.

Mihir
    I think was part of the problem. Barring the first two-three, the writing hadn't stood in the way of Jim's storytelling. Then to suddenly see every third sentence start with AND, it was hard to see past the mechanical aspects of the writing to enjoy the story. I managed, but it took some small piece of enjoyment away from book.

As I haven't heard any comments by Jim regarding the writing of this book, I suspect he'll be true to form with it.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to. I read just the Ilona Andrews story in that collection as I wanted to review the two IL shorts released this year.
    I understand. Thanks for getting back to me.

I have read the first Felix Castor book years ago and thought it was a decent effort but didn't read up any of the follow up titles. Does the series get better?

Mihir
    Imo, Book 2 was actually something of a drop in quality, but Book 3 rebounded to about the same or slightly better than Book 1. But Book 4 & 5 take things to a whole 'nother level. They make this a must read series for any UF fan imho. And I have high hopes for the long delayed (but hopefully arriving in 2013) Book 6.

What's the latest word anyone's heard about the status of the Dangerous Women anthology by Martin and Dozios?