Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    That's a busy two month swing for Daniel Abraham. Can't wait for the Caliban's War, and i'm reading The Dragon's Path now and enjoying it. I'll be putting some money in Orbit's and Abraham's pockets in a few months.
    I'm constantly amazed how Orbit can do multiple books in back to back months. There is a lot of ducks to keep in order to do this.

At just about the same time they were doing my 3-books in 3-months they were also doing 3-books in 3-months for Kristen Painter. I think there were more than a few "late nights." for the crew over there.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    What burnt you up, Peter?
    Actually, it involves a funny story. I was so burnt by the slant the ending took, that I wrote a fairly tough review of it (not at SFFWorld, elsewhere). I received a comment saying something to the effect of, "I'm sorry you didn't like it." There was more to the comment than that, but I just remember looking to see who had left it...it was Abraham. I don't know what it was, as I don't recall being gratuitously snarky, but I felt like I had kicked my friend's dog.

If you want, I can PM you a link to my review of it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    You mean this review? http://ubiquitous-absence.blogspot.c...of-spring.html

That worked out much better in the author's favor than kcf's review of Kultus

Daniel Abraham has said in more than one place on teh intarwebs that the only response to leave on a negative review is the one he did. I've listened to couple of podcasts he's done and he comes across as very, very bright.

Michael, I think you've said much the same thing about commenting on reviews, if I'm not mistaken.

Back to the topic at hand, and one that should be right up your alley, Pete...DAW is issuing Jim Hines's Jig the Goblin novels in an omnibus over the summer. He's another recent author whose banged out quite a few books in a short time with whose work I need to catch-up.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    You mean this review?
    Yeah, that was the one.

That worked out much better in the author's favor than kcf's review of Kultus
    Whoa. I just went there to read that. I normally read all of Ken's reviews, so I'm suprised that I hadn't seen all those comments afterwards.

Daniel Abraham has said in more than one place on teh intarwebs that the only response to leave on a negative review is the one he did. I've listened to couple of podcasts he's done and he comes across as very, very bright.
    Agreed. His last book, from the new series, had me back on board instantly.

Back to the topic at hand, and one that should be right up your alley, Pete...DAW is issuing Jim Hines's Jig the Goblin novels in an omnibus over the summer. He's another recent author whose banged out quite a few books in a short time with whose work I need to catch-up.
    Ooooooh, shiny. I might have to consider getting myself that omnibus for Valentine's Day. After all, I love me some me (Owens, 2007).

* Owens, T. (2007). Dallas Cowboys post game interview. Irving, TX: Slack-jawed Press.

I'd actually recommend getting the single editions (sorry, Peter!) 'cos the covers are much better, and they're pretty cool in their own right

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Michael, I think you've said much the same thing about commenting on reviews, if I'm not mistaken.
    Yeah when it comes to a bad review you either have to be completely mute, or just say "thanks for your time, and I'm sorry it didn't work for you." As part of my "Writing Advice" Series I wrote up a blog post about dealing with reviews.

The reality is that most books, especially those that have any kind of commercia success aren't "bad." They just aren't what the reviewer was looking for, or as in the case here, might have made a decision that you don't agree with.

The other thing you start to realize (once you get reviews in sufficient number) is that what one person loves, another hates and vice versa. I wrote a pretty entertaining blog post on this a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    The other thing you start to realize (once you get reviews in sufficient number) is that what one person loves, another hates and vice versa. I wrote a pretty entertaining blog post on this a while back.
    I definitely enjoyed reading this, though I was not at all surprised. What I've always found surprising is the extent to which many people don't see how subjective their opinions, and even those elements within a novel that they are focusing on, are.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    I remember reading this post when you first wrote it, and enjoyed this tidbit the most:

"If you like new fantasists like Peter Brett and Robert Redick, or skilled world builders like George R.R. Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, Guy Gavriel Kay and Joe Abercrombie, there's a high likelihood that you will find this as unreadable as I did."

Mostly found this funny because I've read and enjoyed all of those authors and greatly enjoyed your works as well.

To be on topic: I saw that Redick's Night of the Swarm has been pushed back a couple months from May to August. Also, has anyone seen any word on Brent Weeks' next book? I've seen a couple mentions that there is a possible release for this year, but I don't know where that information is coming from.

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    Actually, it involves a funny story. I was so burnt by the slant the ending took, that I wrote a fairly tough review of it (not at SFFWorld, elsewhere). I received a comment saying something to the effect of, "I'm sorry you didn't like it." There was more to the comment than that, but I just remember looking to see who had left it...it was Abraham. I don't know what it was, as I don't recall being gratuitously snarky, but I felt like I had kicked my friend's dog.

Yeah that would be cool Peter, I'm just curious. I haven't read Long Price yet, but I did win I think the third book in the series, signed copy, off of a blog.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post
    I Also, has anyone seen any word on Brent Weeks' next book? I've seen a couple mentions that there is a possible release for this year, but I don't know where that information is coming from.
    Blinding Knife is in the Orbit fall release schedule - not sure it has been yet made public but pretty sure I saw it somewhere confirmed; early September I think

Here are first 3 chapters

Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    Blinding Knife is in the Orbit fall release schedule - not sure it has been yet made public but pretty sure I saw it somewhere confirmed; early September I think

Here are first 3 chapters
    Thanks, I hadn't see that before. Looking forward to it.

Rogue Warrior
    I remember reading this post when you first wrote it, and enjoyed this tidbit the most:

"If you like new fantasists like Peter Brett and Robert Redick, or skilled world builders like George R.R. Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, Guy Gavriel Kay and Joe Abercrombie, there's a high likelihood that you will find this as unreadable as I did."

Mostly found this funny because I've read and enjoyed all of those authors and greatly enjoyed your works as well.

To be on topic: I saw that Redick's Night of the Swarm has been pushed back a couple months from May to August. Also, has anyone seen any word on Brent Weeks' next book? I've seen a couple mentions that there is a possible release for this year, but I don't know where that information is coming from.
    Oh man, pushback on Night of Swarms? That sucks, I'm reading River of Shadows now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    Oh man, pushback on Night of Swarms? That sucks, I'm reading River of Shadows now.
    Yeah, its just a couple of months so not too bad. Gives me a chance to get through Jemisin's Dreamblood duology which is releasing back to back in May/June, and Graham Joyce's Some Kind of Fairy Tale which is out in July. Too many books to get through this summer.

Rogue Warrior
    Yeah, its just a couple of months so not too bad. Gives me a chance to get through Jemisin's Dreamblood duology which is releasing back to back in May/June, and Graham Joyce's Some Kind of Fairy Tale which is out in July. Too many books to get through this summer.
    Yeah I want to reread ASOIF, and read Feast for Crows & Dance with Dragons, and Abercrombies everything after The Blade Itself, and next up I plan on hittin Wooding's KJ novels, I dont read real fast so I'm set for awhile.

Nah, so far as I'm aware Orbit's fall/winter listings aren't yet publicly available.

This is all over the internet, but for the record: Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson's A Memory of Light is currently set to be released on January 8, 2013. It's been assumed for a while now that the novel would appear in November of this year, and this was thought to be quite doable, so yes, this is slightly surprising and disappointing. Sanderson's explanation of the various factors motivating the January date is straightforward, forthright, and makes complete sense. I appreciate that they're going carefully and taking their time with the final novel, and look forward to it.

It's been mentioned on Westeros -- by Mithfanian, I think -- that Rjurik Davidson's Unwrapped Sky, which, to get on my entitled reader horse for a bit, is on Tor's IOU list, appears to have been delayed till 2013. Bluntly, there'd been so little info about the thing for so long that I thought it had been cancelled outright, so comparatively speaking this is just peachy keen.

According to agent John Jerrald -- and I'm sorry, I forget if we've got this in here already -- So Deep a Malice by John Gwynne, that new epic fantasy Tor UK was so visibly excited about a while back, is coming out in December. Given the general tendency to keep books that aren't mega-bestsellers out of holiday season lest they be buried I can only assume that Tor UK hates money, or has some clever plan.

That audio-first edition of Ian Tregillis' The Coldest War is now available on Audible for certain, by the way, and is apparently aces.