Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post
    I can only assume that Tor UK hates money, or has some clever plan.
    Going by Tor UK's recent covers, I can only assume that the "hates money" idea probably has some merit.

That audio-first edition of Ian Tregillis' The Coldest War is now available on Audible for certain, by the way, and is apparently aces.
    Oh! That's out this year in MMPB, too! Love the new covers.

Rogue Warrior
    Over on Westeros theres a cool thread of debut stuff coming, most of this is probably here, but gonna throw this out there.

Miles Cameron debut The Red Knight, looks like it might be cool.

and Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards, sounds good too, kind of like a grittier Kingkiller deal with a chronicler thing going on, anyways we'll see huh?

What are the big bad debuts or sequels for this year?
    Last edited by Kazz Wylde; February 18th, 2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: sp

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    What are the big bad debuts or sequels for this year?
    I don't know that we'll see another year like 2011, in terms of books coming out for the BFF (big, fat fantasy) series. I know that there will be some, but the only ones I'm tracking and waiting for are the next works of Moon (out soon, or possibly out already) and Abercrombie (out late summer, I think).

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Christophe Valtat has a new book coming out, it is called Luminous Chaos. Suciul will be happy to read this. It is due in October, in hardcover. I've not yet read Aurorarama yet, but it is still a fantastic looking book. There is no synopsis yet for this new book.

What else? Robert McCammon has The Providence Rider coming out, next book in the Matthew Corbett series, due in May. Definitly getting that, lovely design by Subterranean as well.

Also in May, an interesting looking may 1st treble by Night Shade, that being Laird Barron's long await horror novel "The Croning" , Mary Gentle's very interesting looking new Fantasy standalone "The Black Opera" and the new debut named upthread by Jeff Salyards, which sounds promising, but it's all wait and see with new authors of course.

Also, Joe Abercrombie's Red Country now has a US release date as well, that being November 20 ( it's up on Amazon as well). I will be going for the UK hardcover to match my collection, and the UK release is scheduled in the Fall as well.

Oh yes, Google books says Rise of Ransom City by Felix Gilman is due on August 21th.

The new Steven Erikson, Forge of Darkness, is still due for August, but also, still no synopsis up.

Justin Cronin's The Twelve is also looking a bit doubtful. No US release anymore on Amazon, UK release still August 30, but that is not going to come out ahead of the US release.

Rogue Warrior
    Hey Mith, What are you looking forward to the most? I know Red Country is one of them. Luminous Chaos is the sequel to Aurorama I guess? Yeah Liviu will want to get his hands on that.

Hey Peter, yeah I was looking on Amazon a couple weeks ago, and wound up looking up something and there looked like a ton of stuff that I wasn't at all aware of. Good or bad I don't know. lol

My number one potential release for the year is Unholy Consult by Bakker. But it certainly isn't coming out in July like the publisher claims on their site, and it probably isn't even coming out this year anymore. It took a year from the delivery of White Luck Warrior, to it's actual publication, to name but one reason for my thinking this.

Red Country would be my second most highly anticipated book. I'm interested in giving the new Erikson a chance as well. Endlords by JV Jones is probably my 3rd most anticipated release, that is supposed to come out late this year. But again, that release is in doubt, we will know next month when TOR's listings until december come out.

Will have to do some Wheel of Time reading this year as well, see if I can get back into the series. Or maybe I'll just read the last book.

Suciul is a lot more reliable than amazon, of course, but amazon does also list Weeks' The Blinding Knife for September. Along with the rest of Orbit's titles out to November -- so I was wrong, though I won't count it as quite real until we see a catalogue. Nothing much of note for me, except of course Abercrombie's Red Country in November, though we are graced with the UK editions here in the Frozen Northlands. Couple boxed sets, Seeds of Earth, the last Rachel Arron book, oh, and a new Kate Griffin. Sadly absent thus far is Kate Eliot's Cold Steel, the last Spiritwalker book.

As wonderful as Abercrombie often is, and as varied as his plots are in their execution, I'm kind of hoping he finds some new thematic tunes to tap out on his drum sometime soonish. "Life is a gigantic cesspit of suck and so are people and they never ever change and the best you may hope for is for things to not actually get worse" will always be a classic, I'm sure, but it is also starting to smell of rotting flesh a little.

Thanks for the reminder about the new Mary Gentle. I've never read her before, and what with the silly four-book version of Ash published in NA being apparently somewhat hard to find I'd decided to start with this one. Sounds quite cool.

I don't think I had taken on board just how short the new Robin Hobb book, City of Dragons, really is. I haven't actually seen it, but my local library claims the NA edition contains under 350 pages with actual book on them. Good things come in small packages, of course; I have no objection to the novel's length whatsoever, except that it's a split book. I was defending Hobb's publisher in this very thread not so long ago, and I still do think that it's reasonable for them to balk at printing a massive tome by an author who sells very healthily but not near Jordan or Martin levels, but I didn't realize just how short we were talking about; if the second half is no longer than the first then the split really does seem a bit excessive.

I wonder what Tor's lead title will be for the fall, now that A Memory of Light is moved to winter? Perhaps the new Goodkind which is supposed to be coming out in August but will inevitably get bumped. I could see Tor having a fairly epic fantasy-heavy fall/winter: There's AMoL, the new Erikson [I'm assuming they are publishing this in the States], the new Goodkind for those as like that sort of thing, hopefully Jones' Endlords, Glen Cook's Working the Gods' Mischief, which is on Tor's IOU list and I understand has now been done for a while, almost certainly Jay Lake's Calimpura, and possibly Requiem by Ken Scholes. I don't know if they've got much in the way of debuts or pleasant surprises, save for Tina Connolly's debut Ironskin [Jane Eyre with faeries], which they're supposed to be publishing in the fall.

Catherynne Valente's The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There is now listed for October, which means there is once again a forthcoming Valente novel and the world is right and good. Ya in general is looking good this year, and I may end up spending a healthy amount of my time there.

Rogue Warrior
    I havent read Bakker or Jones yet. Maybe someday on Wheel of Time, I dont know.

Read interesting books
    Suciul is a lot more reliable than amazon, of course, but amazon does also list Weeks' The Blinding Knife for September..
    Thank you for the compliment though usually it's Robert who gets the titles and dates quite reliably for FBC; in this case I cannot say exactly where I heard it but it may have been from the Orbit publicists so I think that a fall date for Brent Weeks is almost sure.

Great news about Valtat - that shot to the top of my to get list. Right now while there are quite a few upcoming fantasy books I want, the two that I would really want the most are Sharps and Blinding Knife

Black Opera is another huge asap of course and I am trying to get it soon from Night Shade which publishes it in May but I am not sure that fantasy is the right classification for it - like 1610 and Ilario this one seems more of a mixture of sf and f. If you have not read Mary Gentle and Ash seems to long, try one of those two as they are great. Same with the upcoming Kinden book (Air war) which seems to be again bending towards sf like Sea watch rather than the very fantasy-nal Heirs of the Blade.

Not sure that I mentioned it earlier but Liz Williams has an upcoming book that may be sfnal or not but is another huge asap.

Rogue Warrior
    Who is Sharps by?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    Who is Sharps by?
    Sharps is the newest from K.J. Parker, being released in July.

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post
    Sharps is the newest from K.J. Parker, being released in July.
    Ok thanks, I knew I'd heard that somewhere.

Rogue Warrior
    Hey Mith, What do you know about So Deep a Malice?

Rogue Warrior
    I found a little bit on So Deep a Malice, it sounds like one I'd read.

Hej Mjolnir,

The 3rd book is getting a lot of flack from fans about being split in two once again. Apart from the size it's also that people just weren't expecting it. After the first book was split, they thought this third and final book would complete a trilogy. Now they get another slim offering, which really cuts off quite abrubtly as well, and now have to wait for book 4.

It's interesting btw that that 4th book, Blood of Dragons, is *still* listed on Amazon as coming out in July, when Hobb has said that that is for 2013.

But, I already have book 4 since it's already been published in Dutch, and I can tell you that the 4th book is longer than book 3, by some 100 pages ( 380 vs 490 in the Dutch editions, which are then more spaced out than the English edition). So if the book has been published as one in North America, it would have been roughly 800 pages.

Re; Tor

I am also very curious about some of those titles. The next Ken Scholes could be in there, Jones, Erikson and a few surprised as well.