Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    I seem to recall reading on Martin's blog a few weeks ago that it is this close, but is going to be late. Evidently they are waiting on one story -- this is speculation, but I'd say it is very probably Martin's The She-Wolves [title not final I don't think], which is not quite done as of last report.

Poor guy. We pour over every blog entry like kids looking for little nuggets of candy.

Quote Originally Posted by HeclaBull View Post
    What's the latest word anyone's heard about the status of the Dangerous Women anthology by Martin and Dozios?
    Last I heard was GRRM's NAB from June 23rd:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/283248.html

Quote Originally Posted by AmethystOrator View Post
    I understand. Thanks for getting back to me.
    Imo, Book 2 was actually something of a drop in quality, but Book 3 rebounded to about the same or slightly better than Book 1. But Book 4 & 5 take things to a whole 'nother level. They make this a must read series for any UF fan imho. And I have high hopes for the long delayed (but hopefully arriving in 2013) Book 6.
    Thanks for the information, I might try the series in the future then. Currently another series that set in London has me quite excited and that's the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka. Have you read it?

Mihir

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperstorm View Post
    Thanks for the information, I might try the series in the future then.
    You're welcome. If you get the chance to read more of it, then please let me know what you think.

Currently another series that set in London has me quite excited and that's the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka. Have you read it?

Mihir
    I have read the first two, and plan on buying the third next week. I thought that Book 1 was pretty good and gave it extra credit for being a Book 1 (in my limited experience, nearly every UF series that I've tried needs a couple/few books to find it's rhythm). I didn't find the second book to be as good (not bad, but not as good) but am hoping that the third book will appeal to me more.

Thanks mjolnir and AmethystOrator. From reading that blog post, I assume that the book probably won't be out till summer 2014 at the earliest. I'm really looking forward to this anthology, it's going to be awesome seeing Dunk and Egg up north.

Rogue Warrior
    Oh man redick's Night of the Swarm wont be out til Jan 2013? I seen a Sept 27, 2012 release date, or is that the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    Oh man redick's Night of the Swarm wont be out til Jan 2013? I seen a Sept 27, 2012 release date, or is that the UK?
    It keeps getting pushed back, despite Redick finishing the first draft back in September. From his blog August 7th:

"Many of you are writing to ask about the publication date. Iíve held off posting an official announcement for one reason: I didnít want to be wrong. The dateís been changed four times, and I didnít want to say a word to anyone until I had firm and final dates from both Gollancz and Del Rey.

I have them now. The Night of the Swarm will be published October 25, 2012 by Gollancz (in the U.K.) and January 15, 2013 by Del Rey.

These delays have been heartbreaking for me. And while I canít in good conscience discuss the reasons for them, I can say that they absolutely did not originate with me. I am not a fast writer by inclination, but I have met every deadline in this process, starting with the first draft of Swarm back in September 2011. "

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post
    It keeps getting pushed back, despite Redick finishing the first draft back in September. From his blog August 7th:

"Many of you are writing to ask about the publication date. Iíve held off posting an official announcement for one reason: I didnít want to be wrong. The dateís been changed four times, and I didnít want to say a word to anyone until I had firm and final dates from both Gollancz and Del Rey.

I have them now. The Night of the Swarm will be published October 25, 2012 by Gollancz (in the U.K.) and January 15, 2013 by Del Rey.

These delays have been heartbreaking for me. And while I canít in good conscience discuss the reasons for them, I can say that they absolutely did not originate with me. I am not a fast writer by inclination, but I have met every deadline in this process, starting with the first draft of Swarm back in September 2011. "
    Hey thanks for this, Darksbane. That sucks they keep doing that. I'll probably use good ole Book Depository UK then, the UK cover is better anyhow.

Hey thanks for this, Darksbane. That sucks they keep doing that. I'll probably use good ole Book Depository UK then, the UK cover is better anyhow.
    No problem.

That's my plan as well. Book Depository has treated me really well thus far.

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post
    No problem.

That's my plan as well. Book Depository has treated me really well thus far.
    Yeah I just ordered Gary Gibson's Stealing Light from them yesterday, the other time I ordered Abercrombie's Before They Are Hanged, got it in like 7 days.

Read interesting books
    Miles Cameron debut The Red Knight, looks like it might be cool.
    Recent information coming to light - the author's name is very likely a pseudonym for noted author Christian Cameron who has recently become one of my top writers of today - made this the hugest fantasy debut for me and I plan to get and read a copy asap

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    Recent information coming to light - the author's name is very likely a pseudonym for noted author Christian Cameron who has recently become one of my top writers of today - made this the hugest fantasy debut for me and I plan to get and read a copy asap
    Yeah Dec 18, 2012 release for this, Amazon says.

Read interesting books
    Yeah Dec 18, 2012 release for this, Amazon says.
    US December but UK is October so if I cannot go a copy until then from the US publisher Orbit, I will definitely buy the UK edition...

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    US December but UK is October so if I cannot go a copy until then from the US publisher Orbit, I will definitely buy the UK edition...
    Yeah the UK cover is a little cooler, like always. lol Sounds like my kind of book.

I'm a little surprised and confused by the approach that Gollancz seems to be taking with Miles Cameron's The Red Knight, and which Tor UK also seems to be following with John Gwynne's Malice. Or rather the lack of approach. It's just a month until the release of the former in the UK, and only three until Malice comes out, also in the UK. They're both seemingly meant to be big books launched squarely into the commercial heartland of epic fantasy. And the hype amounts to a couple of cover art posts and introductions that basically say "hear is a book; it will set your world ablaze; more in due course". Three months prior to the publication of The Name of the Wind ... well, okay, maybe not quite then. But one month prior you couldn't go anywhere fantasy novel related on the interwebs without hearing about the thing. Am I misremembering previous publisher hype-trains? Is there some subtle scheme I'm missing?

Ah well. Hope both books turn out nicely.

I forget if we have this in here already, or just in the 2013 thread: Robert V. S. Redick's The Night of the Swarm has been delayed to January, but only in the US. Gollancz will still publish in the UK in October.

For Sam Sykes' The Skybound Sea, which, like The Night of the Swarm, is the end of a series I believe, the situation's reversed: The UK doesn't seem to get the book till late December, but it's already shipping in the US, apparently.