Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    It appears there's a new Paolo Bacigalupi novel coming in May. I had absolutely no idea; perhaps I'm just out of touch? The Drowned Cities. His second young adult book. Companion piece -- not sequel, though based on the blurb a major character overlaps -- to Ship Breaker. It's wonderful to see Bacigalupi doing more ya; Ship Breaker's the best, most engaging thing I've read by him, easily, and it is awesome.

Read interesting books
    Locus came out with their list and some dates I was not sure of so far; still did not see Mark Newton's Red Sun ending though:

Felix Gilman's Rise of Ransom City is in August (Tor)
    Adrian Tchaikovsky's The Air War is also in August (Macmillan)
    PF Hamilton's Great North Road is in September (Macmillan)
    Liz Williams Weapon of Flowers is in June (Prime)

As far as I know, suciul, the last book is still on track for next year - probably around the same time as the previous ones, so June/July.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    As far as I know, suciul, the last book is still on track for next year - probably around the same time as the previous ones, so June/July.
    Hope so, (referring to Mark Newton I guess) but I am a bit surprised Macmillan has not announced it - it's true that I've seen only the Locus online list so far, not their full list, but Mark's series is covered by Locus so i doubt they would have skipped it.

Also no title yet as far as I know and it is getting late in the process as the printing and all take few months at the least (unless you are GRMM etc)

As far as I'm aware, it's in those last few stages. Mark's getting ready for his next series (which I think debuts in 2013), and it was announced within the past few weeks. I'm not sure what's going on with #4, but I can't not see it coming out next summer.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    As far as I'm aware, it's in those last few stages. Mark's getting ready for his next series (which I think debuts in 2013), and it was announced within the past few weeks. I'm not sure what's going on with #4, but I can't not see it coming out next summer.
    well, it may come out in October or November as the list goes to September only; I even did a post on Mark's new series on FBC, so i am sure the last Red Sun book will come out in 2012, the timing is what I do not know yet...

Back on topic I see that the new Chris Moriarty Spin book was moved to September while Freda Warrington's new offering also comes out that month and after the superb Midsummer Night, I am really excited about Grail of the Summer Stars

Also not to forget the DW's fantasy mentioned in the sf section, War Maid's Choice (Bazhell #4) will be out in July - will check it out but I am not a big Bazhell fan, I think Safehold is a considerably better fantasy series whatever its sfnal trappings

Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    well, it may come out in October or November as the list goes to September only; I even did a post on Mark's new series on FBC, so i am sure the last Red Sun book will come out in 2012, the timing is what I do not know yet...
    I'll ask him and report back

Oops, I'd forgotten there was a separate thread for sf releases, which is where the Bacigalupi novel should have gone. Sorry about that.

This doesn't really belong here either, as it's not speculative fiction, but I think it's a big enough deal with enough crossover appeal to drop a quick note about: You know Hilary Mantel's Tudor historical novel about the life and times of Thomas Cromwell, Wolf Hall? You know how she was writing a sequel? Well, there are now evidently two sequels, not one, and the first of these will be out in May 2012. This novel will cover a shorter period of time than Wolf Hall, focusing closely on the fall of Anne Boleyn in 1536. It is entitled Bring Up the Bodies, which is a title destined for the very heights of awesome. I think my "most anticipated" list just changed.

Per Jim Butcher's LJ, The Dangerous Women Anthology will have a short story set in the Dresden Universe, possibly centered on the character of Molly. We already knew that this book is where the 4th Dunk & Egg story will appear.

Imo, the combination of GRRM & Butcher should make for a very interesting experience and one that I'm quite eager to see. The big question is which story to read first?

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post
    This doesn't really belong here either, as it's not speculative fiction, but I think it's a big enough deal with enough crossover appeal to drop a quick note about: You know Hilary Mantel's Tudor historical novel about the life and times of Thomas Cromwell, Wolf Hall? You know how she was writing a sequel? Well, there are now evidently two sequels, not one, and the first of these will be out in May 2012. This novel will cover a shorter period of time than Wolf Hall, focusing closely on the fall of Anne Boleyn in 1536. It is entitled Bring Up the Bodies, which is a title destined for the very heights of awesome. I think my "most anticipated" list just changed.
    Loved Wolf Hall too so I agree that this shoots to a high place on my "get asap" in 2012.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AmethystOrator View Post
    Per Jim Butcher's LJ, The Dangerous Women Anthology will have a short story set in the Dresden Universe, possibly centered on the character of Molly. We already knew that this book is where the 4th Dunk & Egg story will appear.

Imo, the combination of GRRM & Butcher should make for a very interesting experience and one that I'm quite eager to see. The big question is which story to read first?
    Dunk & Egg for me , clearly. I read The Hedge Knight well before starting A Song of Ice and Fire, and it is still my favorite. I also liked the comic book versions of this and Sworn Sword, I hope all of the short stories will get the same treaqtment, maybe even be collected in one volume when this particular story arc is closed.

Algernoninc: If a collection of all the prose versions of the stories is what you were meaning, I think I'm right in saying that GRRM and his publisher have actually signed off on one of those. It will contain the first three stories, plus the fourth one that will appear first in Dangerous Women. Meant to come out in 2013, I believe. [It looks to me like Bantam is hoping to have something to feed the ravening hordes with every year now for the immediate future. So The World of Ice and Fire in 2012, hopefully, if all goes well, and then this collection in 2013.]

Suciul: Yes, definitely. For myself, I'm actually a little surprised how much I'm anticipating the book now I know it's coming. I mean, I liked Wolf Hall very much, but I'm not sure I quite new *how much*. Have you heard anything which positively confirms this is a happening thing? I got all the info from Fourth Estate's website and the Guardian, so I'm assuming it's good, but I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been a bigger deal given it's coming quite soon. [Though I suppose this is a sober, respectable novel, so its marketing is likewise more sober and respectable.]

According to amazon UK, Alden Bell [of The Reapers Are the Angels] has a novel coming out in May called Somewhere I Have Never Travelled, but there is no blurb or anything. There really should be, by now, so I'm not putting too much stock in this yet.
    Last edited by mjolnir; December 10th, 2011 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    Dunk & Egg for me , clearly. I read The Hedge Knight well before starting A Song of Ice and Fire, and it is still my favorite. I also liked the comic book versions of this and Sworn Sword, I hope all of the short stories will get the same treaqtment, maybe even be collected in one volume when this particular story arc is closed.
    I actually read Hedge Knight first as well, though for me it was in the comic book format first. I saw the very first issue solicited and decided to take a chance on it. Once I started reading the comic I enjoyed it enough to seek out AGOT and was immediately a fan.

I'm pretty sure that mjolnir is correct, and that GRRM said something about compiling the first 4 stories, once this new one is published. I definitely agree that it's a good thing, as ime it seems that a fair number of ASOIAF fans don't try these stories, and that seems to me a shame.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post

Suciul: Yes, definitely. For myself, I'm actually a little surprised how much I'm anticipating the book now I know it's coming. I mean, I liked Wolf Hall very much, but I'm not sure I quite new *how much*. Have you heard anything which positively confirms this is a happening thing? I got all the info from Fourth Estate's website and the Guardian, so I'm assuming it's good, but I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been a bigger deal given it's coming quite soon. [Though I suppose this is a sober, respectable novel, so its marketing is likewise more sober and respectable.]
    Amazon.uk has Bring Up the Bodies listed for May 19th though we all know quite well examples of misleading listings...

Just found out that Ali Shaw who wrote the wonderful The Girl with Glass Feet, will have The Man Who Rained out in January

Also I got an offer for an arc of Nick Harkaway's Angelmaker and I took it up so I should get that soon and I plan to read it on receive

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Man I love this post - gives me so many things to be checking out. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for contributing as I'm not as "up" on the new books as many of the people here. It's going to be a good year of reading.