Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by AmethystOrator View Post
    It's been awhile, and quite a few books, since I read Red Seas, but my recollection is no.
    Oh man, That was some of my favorite parts of that book.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    Oh man, That was some of my favorite parts of that book.
    Same here. I believe that that is one of the reasons that the 2nd book is not as well received. Not that it's bad, but because it pales in some ways compared to how good Book 1 was. Imo, there is still a lot to like there, but now that we know much of the backstory of the characters then the 2nd book loses one of the "hooks" that (I think) people liked in Book 1. Book 3, whenever it comes, will have what could be a very interesting hook and an excuse for a lot more backstory too. We shall see.

Rogue Warrior
    Same here. I believe that that is one of the reasons that the 2nd book is not as well received. Not that it's bad, but because it pales in some ways compared to how good Book 1 was. Imo, there is still a lot to like there, but now that we know much of the backstory of the characters then the 2nd book loses one of the "hooks" that (I think) people liked in Book 1. Book 3, whenever it comes, will have what could be a very interesting hook and an excuse for a lot more backstory too. We shall see.
    Yeah, the next book could really be cool.....But in a way the Father Chains parts steal the show....I mean Lynch could make millions just writing his backstory......huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    Yeah, the next book could really be cool.....But in a way the Father Chains parts steal the show....I mean Lynch could make millions just writing his backstory......huh?
    A prelude novel, or short series, focused on Father Chains would be great. Although, at the same time I really do want to see where this series goes and am worried that such a thing might distract him from the main story. I think that Lynch has said that he envisioned nine books, and I'd bet that the story will become increasingly interesting as it goes along. Hopefully he will be doing better soon, and will be able to finish the main series, as well as a side project or two in the same world with Father Chains and others.

Rogue Warrior
    A prelude novel, or short series, focused on Father Chains would be great. Although, at the same time I really do want to see where this series goes and am worried that such a thing might distract him from the main story. I think that Lynch has said that he envisioned nine books, and I'd bet that the story will become increasingly interesting as it goes along. Hopefully he will be doing better soon, and will be able to finish the main series, as well as a side project or two in the same world with Father Chains and others.
    There ya go, Couldnt put it better myself. But Father Chains is like the COOL Mr Miyagi. lol
    I know I'd like Red Seas....I have all kinds of good books ahead of me, man.

Alright folks lets try to keep a bit more focused on the broad strokes of the books publishing in 2012. We've got plenty of threads discussing Scott Lynch.

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Alright folks lets try to keep a bit more focused on the broad strokes of the books publishing in 2012. We've got plenty of threads discussing Scott Lynch.
    Right on, Rob. My bad. lol

For any as are interested, Orbit's now got the prologue of John Fulz's Seven Princes on their website.

Interesting. Appears [to me] to be going for epic kings and wizards fantasy in the grand old way, with clear moral boundaries and glorious clashes etc, all played relatively straight. [This is the first ten pages, obviously, so all could change.] In intention [so far as going for "traditional" high fantasy territory is concerned], though not in plot outline, it feels maybe a bit like The Unremembered -- though I never read enough of that to say for sure -- only Fulz's prose is perhaps going to be more appealing to many of us here. How much of an improvement we'll find that prose to be ... well, um, for myself I'll have to read more. It seems to be going for a slightly arcane, grand style, which can be physically painful when done wrong, as for my money it is in several places in this prologue, but on the other hand there are several atmospheric lines and passages. It also moves a lot faster than grave, serious prose of this kind sometimes does; Fulz isn't hanging around. It does keep us quite distant from the characters, who come across very much as archetypes to me, but this is just the prologue. Definitely a book I'll be approaching with caution, based both on this excerpt and the early reactions we're hearing, but still a book in which I am interested, and some of that interest also stems from this excerpt. It simultaneously draws and drives away!

Re what JohnH was saying about Sherwood Smith: Ah, thanks. I didn't see Revenant Eve on Locus's online list; perhaps I missed it, or it wasn't included online. I really must check these books out. I hear nothing but good things.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    mjolnir,

I had heard of Fulz's release, but was going to pass on it. However, your description has renewed my interest. The Silmarillion and Williams' MST are two of my favorite all-time reads. I'll be very interested to hear your take on this when you finish.

One that I don't think has been mentioned and I'm thinking about picking up when it's released in February is Sea Hearts by Margo Lanagan (or The Brides of Rollrock Island in the UK and US). I feel a bit guilty - she's an Australian author who is internationally acclaimed, but I've never read her.

I completely forgot to mention this.

Earlier in the week, I got in a discussion with Gav of Book Based Banter and Mark Charan Newton about the fourth and final Legends of the Red Sun book, and according to this tweet from Tor UK, Mark's publisher, the fourth - and untitled book - is out on 5th of July, although it's likely that pre-order copies will ship earlier than that and so on.

Also another book I forgot to mention: False Covenant by Ari Marmell, the second Widdershins book. It's out in July this year, which is a very quick turnaround as the first book (Thief's Covenant) comes out next month.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to those Marmell books. loved Goblin Corps

I've still not progressed beyond the first chapter, ashamedly. I do have both Widdershins novels on pre-order, though (that's about £15 together, not bad at all for two HCs), and Ari has told me a little secret about them which has got me champing at the bit.

Hopefully they'll be successful and drive Pyr on to expanding their new YA line - what I've seen from Pyr (Jon Sprunk especially) has largely been very good, and if nothing else they attract some very pleasant (or bat-droppings crazy in the case of Sam Sykes) authors.

Wind Through the Keyhole- Stephen King
    A Memory of Light- Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson
    21st Century Dead- edited by Christopher Golden
    Beneath Still Waters- Gord Rollo
    The Triumvirate- Mary SanGiovani
    Entombed- Brian Keene
    Suburban Gothic- Brian Keene