Civilization is cut off from Earth...

I can't remember if it is a trilogy or a single book. But I remember something along the lines of we colonized other planets and such and Earth is now out of contact- no one knows what happened. In the meantime, the main character(s) are fighting either aliens or rebels, I can't remember. There was a general feel of order and government just falling apart, and toward the end the main character(s) try and get back to Earth and they find some messed up stuff that happened- I think the defense system Earth implemented had malfunctioned and no one could shut it down- so no one could leave Earth. That's about all I can really remember. Oh and most of the combat I believe was planetside dealing with infantry and aircraft.

If someone could tell me a title or author would be great.

Kind of sounds like David Webers Dahak series

not sure if this is what you were thinking of, I read this many many years ago and don't recall most of it, except a planet called 'JEM' was colonized by humans. War breaks out back on earth and the colonists take up the war along national lines.

http://www.amazon.com/Jem-Frederik-P...mm_hrd_title_0

I found it. It was a quadrilogy and I had all 4 books back at my mom's house. Never thought I would find them. It was The Last Legion series. 1st book was the name of the series... by Chris Bunch. Thanks anyway.

Glad you figured it out, I've read that series also it just didn't come to mind at the time. I really enjoyed his Star Risk series also. Its a shame he passed away a few years ago.