View Poll Results: How many people would be interested in an excerpt of Roadside Picnic?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd take a look

4 80.00%
  • Not my kind of thing

1 20.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that, square: looks like we might have to look to those international shipping companies when it appears....

And you're right: new versions of Jules Verne, new translation of War and Peace and the Dumas Last Cavalier (Not genre but perhaps part of the pattern...)

I was told that a lot of translations don't happen, because of the expense... but we may be seeing something new, perhaps.

Mark
    Mark

All right, I decided to put the new cover up online. Here it is:

Last edited by Hobbit; September 4th, 2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Added picture

Interesting! Do you mean because of the expense to the publisher? As far as I can tell, translators get paid peanuts... but perhaps given the fact that most books don't make any money at all, that does add to the overall cost.

Quote Originally Posted by square_25 View Post
    All right, I decided to put the new cover up online. Here it is: http://www.math.utexas.edu/users/ole...cnicCover.html
    Nice looking cover. Shame they couldn't have popped your name in under where it says "A NEW TRANSLATION".

I think Ill wait for your translation to come out before reading this. If I really like the book I can always go back and read the older trans, and compare the two.

Blog Entries
    Nice cover, square.

I've added it direct, rather than as a link, so everyone can see it.

Do you mean because of the expense to the publisher? As far as I can tell, translators get paid peanuts... but perhaps given the fact that most books don't make any money at all, that does add to the overall cost.
    Yes that was part of it. The other thing is when translating from English to other languages, the foreign language version often takes up more pages/print/space, so a lot of publishers feel the cost isn't worth it.

Mark
    Last edited by Hobbit; September 4th, 2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Mark

Thanks a lot for making it direct, Mark! I take it it's not possible for me to do that myself?

Quote Originally Posted by livens View Post
    Nice looking cover. Shame they couldn't have popped your name in under where it says "A NEW TRANSLATION".

I think Ill wait for your translation to come out before reading this. If I really like the book I can always go back and read the older trans, and compare the two.
    Yes, I've already had it pointed that it'd be better if my name made it onto the front page . But I figure it'll be reasonably prominent somewhere inside. I guess no one knows who I am, so there isn't much percentage in displaying my name?

I certainly don't mind if you wait until mine comes out! I hope you enjoy it, livens .

One of my very favourite books. I hope I can get hold of a copy in the UK too. The recent Gollancz version was, as far as I recall, the same as the old translation. My only copy is a print-out of the original translation available from the Strugatsky's site.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropie View Post
    One of my very favourite books. I hope I can get hold of a copy in the UK too. The recent Gollancz version was, as far as I recall, the same as the old translation. My only copy is a print-out of the original translation available from the Strugatsky's site.
    Yes, Gollancz did an exact reprint -- complete with the same foreword and all. Apparently, it sold reasonably well, which I find surprising as it's almost identical to the one available online for free...

Let me know if you want an excerpt from the new one!

Actually, they almost just reprinted the old one in the US, too -- I guess it's a lot cheaper to do that.

Let me know if you want an excerpt from the new one!
    I have just realised you are the translator in question! Excellent; I'd love to see an excerpt if that is possible. I had a quick look through my old copy and some of the writing really is atrocious - a very important piece of SF hidden within it though

I have just realised you are the translator in question! Excellent; I'd love to see an excerpt if that is possible. I had a quick look through my old copy and some of the writing really is atrocious - a very important piece of SF hidden within it though
    It's definitely a great book! Shame most people can't read it in the original Russian...

I would be happy to give an excerpt! Since you're the first to ask, would you like to pick a place in the book where I should take it from?

It's definitely a great book! Shame most people can't read it in the original Russian...
    I can't imagine what that's like.
    When I said the older translation was atrocious I meant the amount of spelling mistakes and seeming grammatical errors - in my copy there are boarded up houses which are constantly referred to as 'bearded up'.

would you like to pick a place in the book where I should take it from?
    Tricky - I remember there's a section near the beginning where we see Red's 'mutant'(?) son for the first time. How about that part?

I can't imagine what that's like.
    When I said the older translation was atrocious I meant the amount of spelling mistakes and seeming grammatical errors - in my copy there are boarded up houses which are constantly referred to as 'bearded up'.

Tricky - I remember there's a section near the beginning where we see Red's 'mutant'(?) son for the first time. How about that part?
    You mean his daughter, the Monkey, when he comes back from the Zone in the 2nd chapter? Anyway, assuming that's what you mean, here's an excerpt:

“How's the Monkey?” said Redrick, sitting down and pulling off his boots.

“Oh, she chattered all evening,” replied Guta. “Barely managed to put her to bed. Wouldn't leave me alone: where's daddy, where's daddy? Give her daddy right then and there . . .”

She moved silently and gracefully through the kitchen—so capable and so lovely—and water was already boiling on the stove, and fish scales were flying from under the knife, and oil sputtered in their biggest frying pan, and the incredible smell of fresh coffee spread through the air.

Redrick got up and, walking barefoot, came back to the front door, picked up the basket, and carried it to the den. Then he glanced into the bedroom. The Monkey was dozing peacefully: her blanket hung to the floor, her nightie was riding up, and he could see her whole body—she was a small sleeping animal. Redrick couldn't resist it and stroked her back, covered in warm golden fur, and for the hundredth time marveled at how silky and long it was. He really wanted to pick her up, but he was worried he'd wake her, and besides, he was dirty as hell, drenched in the Zone and death."

Here's another bit with her when she was little:

"The suit was already laid out on the bed, and Redrick began to dress. He was tying his tie in front of a mirror, when the floor boards squeaked softly behind him, he heard agitated breathing, and he had to make a serious face to avoid laughing.

“Boo!” suddenly yelled a high voice beside him, and he felt someone grab his leg.

“Aah!” exclaimed Redrick, collapsing on the bed.

The Monkey, squealing and shouting with laughter, immediately climbed on top of him. She stepped on him, pulled his hair, and showered him with important information. The neighbor kid Willy tore dolly's leg off. There was a new kitten on the third floor, all white and with red eyes—he probably didn't listen to his mommy and went in the Zone. There was porridge and jam for supper. Uncle Gutalin was sloshed again and felt sick, he even cried. Why don't fish drown, if they're in water? Why wasn't mommy sleeping at night? Why do we have five fingers, but only two arms, and one nose? . . . Redrick carefully hugged the warm creature crawling all over him, looked into the huge, entirely black eyes with no whites, pressed his face to the chubby little cheek covered in silky golden fur, and repeated:

“My Monkey . . . Oh, you Monkey . . . What a little Monkey . . .”

Blog Entries
    Thanks a lot for making it direct, Mark! I take it it's not possible for me to do that myself?
    Should be able to, square.

Copy into something such as Image Shack.

Copy the Forum link into your post.

Should work!

Mark
    Mark