Can't remember this book

Read this book about 10-15 years ago. It's about a US Army group being taken out of Viet Nam and transported to another planet. I believe it is part of a series.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like Jerry Pournelle's Janisseries series?

Not sure if it's Vietnam though...

Later Edit: Nope. It says 'Cold War' in that link....

Mark
    Last edited by Hobbit; September 3rd, 2011 at 06:12 PM.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Read this book about 10-15 years ago. It's about a US Army group being taken out of Viet Nam and transported to another planet. I believe it is part of a series.
    If they went to a magical fantasy world then I am fairly certian it is The Doomfarers of Coramonde and the sequel The Starfollowers of Coramonde by Brian Daley

I read these books almost 30 years ago and I remember really enjoying them. The story I heard about this was the author served as a gunner on an armored personel carrier in viet nam. Just before being deployed he read lord of the rings and when he got to viiet nam he wondered what would frodo do with a .50 cal machine gun.

I was luckey enough to briefly meet Mr. Daley before he passed away. he stuck me as a very nice man.

Doomfarers

Just yesterday, Sergeant Gil MacDonald and his APC crew had been fending off an ambush in a Viet Nam jungle. In the middle of the firefight, some kind of magic spell had transported them to this Fantasy Land complete with flying dragons, wizards, crazy castles, and dispossessed princes.

They would stay trapped here forever unless they could rescue the sorceress Gabrielle. Master magician, Amon, held her captive in his palace; and to reach her, Gil and his men would have to infiltrate Hell itself!

Starfollowers

Gil MacDonald, soldier and exile in an alternate reality, must find Yardiff Bey, master wizard and archvillain. Bey has abducted Gil's friend and threatens to destroy this world of mystery and magic that the American has made his home. Coramonde's Prince Springbuck sends him south to the accursed lands of Shardishku-Salama, where Yardiff Bey waits to capture and torture him.

With the comet Trailingsword hanging in the sky above, Springbuck sets out with his army to save Gil from an enemy that cannot be slain.

Thanks Greatly

Hobbit, JimF, Thank you. I think it was Jannisaries but the other books sound like something I will be getting and reading too. What a load off my poor feeble mind. This has been nagging me for weeks now. Thanks again.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's always odd how the memory works on these things.

Pleased we seem to have got there in the end, trainman. Hope they stand up to rereading.

Jim: I've also been told Brian Daley was a good guy. Thanks for those - I'd not even heard of those myself.

Mark
    Mark