Trying to remember a book with BEAST and I think STAR in the title

Not the one by Heinlein, nor the ones by Robert Stallman.

I am going nuts trying to recall the names/ author of a couple of books I read - in the late sixties I think - that involved a form of alien that had to mate with humans before the aliens could attain maturity.

The aliens could take the form of humans on Earth and interacted with them in a variety of ways. The were not invaders and usually helped the humans they were with - for example, a female of the species cured a man of cancer and lived as his wife for a time.

I have had no luck at all searching the internet so far - perhaps some here can recall such a book(s)?

Chris

In this site's Search section, search for beast under the Fiction Titles criteria; 24 of those titles were published before the 80s. Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by Pennarin; September 6th, 2011 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. However, it prompted me to look once again at the Robert Stallman book and contrary to my first post, that is in fact what I was looking for.

There is a reasonable review here.

The story is very well written and while more fantasy than science fiction I think it is head and shoulder above most of the stuff that goes by either name these days.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjk View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. However, it prompted me to look once again at the Robert Stallman book and contrary to my first post, that is in fact what I was looking for.

There is a reasonable review here.

The story is very well written and while more fantasy than science fiction I think it is head and shoulder above most of the stuff that goes by either name these days.
    lol and it didn't have beast or star in the title

Ah, but the subtitle did!