November 2011 Fantasy Discussion Nominations

Hi all,

Time for some nominations for a November discussion book. Here's the "rules":

1. Everyone can nominate one book and second a reasonably small number of other books.
    2. Books must be available new in US and UK (I just check the two Amazons for this). They should also be in a format other than hardcover, so as to keep costs down.
    3. Books must be standalone or book 1 in a series (usually not a problem in SF).
    4. They can't have been book club books before. The nearly complete list of previous discussions can be found here.

Uh, Moderator
    How about On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers?
    Lazy readers can just crib from the movie

How about Wise Man's Fear by Rothfuss (the first one was already ready by the group - so seconds are okay?

No, seconds are never okay (unless it's one of those rare series where the books have nothing to do with one another at all). The same people don't participate month-to-month, so there's not necessarily a correlation between "book club has done book 1 before" and "those wanting to participate in November have read book 1 before".

And, really, there are very substantial discussion threads on the board for WMF already.

Eventine, I'd be happy to do OST, but I'd have to go on memory of my previous read. I have a copy, but it's, erm, too valuable to read any more and I can't bring myself to buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    No, seconds are never okay (unless it's one of those rare series where the books have nothing to do with one another at all). The same people don't participate month-to-month, so there's not necessarily a correlation between "book club has done book 1 before" and "those wanting to participate in November have read book 1 before".

And, really, there are very substantial discussion threads on the board for WMF already.

Eventine, I'd be happy to do OST, but I'd have to go on memory of my previous read. I have a copy, but it's, erm, too valuable to read any more and I can't bring myself to buy another one.
    Oops sorry - didn't know - that makes a lot of sense though. I'll go find some of the other WMF threads.

I'll give this another two or three days, but OST looks to be a strong front-runner this month.

Uh, Moderator
    Crack out the rubber gloves then?

Given the lack of interest so far I'd be willing to offer up an alternative. I've had The Talisman by King/Straub and Tamsin by Peter S. Beagle sitting on the shelf waiting for an excuse to be read for a while.

As much as I liked Black House, the sequel to The Talisman, I found the first book to be very dull, but that may have been a timing thing.

I would definitely be up for Tamsin.

Uh, Moderator
    Let's do Tamsin and hope some others join us then

Works for me: Peter S. Beagle's Tamsin, it is. I think we can talk Randy M. into it, at the very least.

Works for me: Peter S. Beagle's Tamsin, it is. I think we can talk Randy M. into it, at the very least.
    Yes, you can. I picked it up about a year ago and have been debating when I can get to it. It now goes to the head of the TBR for after I finish my October reading.

Randy M.