Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

The Singing Spoiler thread

If you must spoil it for yourself please don't spoil it for others.

It is important from now on that those of us lucky ones who have read The Singing only talk about it in detail or at all here. Apart from saying you loved it/its great i dont want it discussed outside this thread. I dont want people to have to leave for a long long tim because of spoilers. so be good and still use spoiler brackets here. It'll make people think twice if they want to read them. The book deserves to be read without expectations of whats going to happen. You should know how to post spoilers but if you dont you have to do this...

[spoiler*] write what you want here! Itll be hidden! [/spoiler*] all you need to do is take out the *s. Then it'll look like this
    Spoiler:
    OMG BLAH BLAH BLAH

much love and apprication for your good behaviour pre spoiler thread
    Bridie x

hey, what happened to the pre-spoiler thread? (oops out of topic but where else do I ask?)

Pre-spoiler thread? Huh?
    ___

Spoiler:
    Good Lord, that book was SQUEE-worthy! I'm so glad no one copped it! And Cadvan the Father Figure writhed in agony inside my head during the last few chapters and the epilogue! I didn't think they'd actually get together but...there you go. *massive grin* So sweet...not to mention Hekibel and Saliman. I KNEW all along she liked him, from the first blush as she met him; when she admitted it I was yelling triumphantly at the book. *dangerously massive grin*

I loved how Maerad came into her powers, too. That was beautifully written.

This has got to be the best one of the series! Ah! I love it when things end on a high note!

Quote Originally Posted by katiestar21 View Post
    hey, what happened to the pre-spoiler thread? (oops out of topic but where else do I ask?)
    The Non-Spoiler Thread?

About 5 minutes after I finished the book and having no one else to talk to , I sent a long rambling PM to Alison, here it it...

Spoiler:
    "Loved it. Though there was a strangeness about this one, reading it felt different to reading the other books. I can’t quite describe it, maybe it only comes from it being the last stage of the story.

I have to say that I sobbed in a way that I have never sobbed before while reading a book when it seemed as though Saliman was going to die. It was mostly when Saliman told Hem his Truename, mostly because the basic subtext was “I can’t stand the though of me dying and you not knowing!”. Oh, I was bawling and trying in vain to keep it quite as it was 3am and I didn’t want to wake the rest of the house. I can honestly say I’ve never seen/ read of/ whatever a relationship in a book or movie that I’ve found more beautiful.

The first things I almost cried over where the poems at the start of the first and second parts, I have no idea why. Maybe because they where about Maerad and they brought home that this was the end. I remember at first misreading the name below the excerpt at the front of part three as being main character Maerad. Ten minutes later something finally ticked over in my head, I went back to check and realised it actually said “Turbansk”, so of course I was excited, someone must have had a kid and named her Maerad.

Also, I love Hekibel. I have to admit that’s mostly because of the conversation she had with Maerad in the Hollow Lands, especially that line that went something like “If a man looked at me with such passion I would be buying my wedding clothes!” Ha, gorgeous.

Now we come to that ever contentious forum issue, Maerad and Cadvan. I salute you, it was perfect. Through the whole book all that subtext behind almost every comment Cadvan made to Maerad... I was practically pulling my hair out in anticipation. Then the slow build up between them, oh and the riding of the same horse/ the smelling of his back, I confess myself to be as ridiculous a fan girl as ever, I squeed, there is no other adjective for it .

And thank you for the appendices; I remember making some request years ago for details about all the characters after the end of the book.

Though I find myself quite sad at the lack of Maerad/Cadvan progeny and the gap of some 92 years between their deaths. Oh, and Cadvan being made First Bard .

Also, Saliman and Hekibel were wonderful, from the first hundred pages or so I knew something was happening there. I remembered vaguely that you made a comment ages ago, around the time Crow came out, that Saliman would become attached to someone and then being slightly confused when it never eventuated in Crow.

I found Maerad's ordeal as the group travelled towards Afinil quite creepy too.

Also enjoyed Sharma’s temptation of Maerad and her refusal. Also, the parade of the dead left me a bit weepy, but by that time I was so emotional ragged I could barely react to most things.

I loved the final poem in the appendices too, such a beautiful way to end the book and an appropriate sentiment, tying in with that whole over arching theme of Maerad’s choice between embracing absolute power and losing all that she loves or rejecting all the possibilities of that power for them.

Also, I found the floods bizarrely amusing as it’s currently flooding here, I can relate to the smell of the mud."

But I wonder what Cadvan's Truename was? Hmmm
    Last edited by Gemini; July 4th, 2008 at 10:45 PM.

Lettuce pie...mmmmm Eyes of Wolf's Avatar
    Oh yes. OOOOOH yes. I have got to be one of the first people in the UK to have read The Singing. It makes me feel so happy!
    Spoiler:
    OMG!!! SQUEEEE! I remember being so happy when I got to Hekibel's conversation with Maerad. For the whole thing I was completely screaming "Juliet (in my class, she hasn't even read the book, but she made the comment to try to deter me from screaming M+C=FATE at every oppurtunity) said MC wouldn't happen! And I said it would! And I'm RIGHT!!!" SQUEEEE! And I have a waiting list for people who want to read it but've never expressed an interest before. Upon seeing the gorgeous cover, I instantly had a list of 10 people! The epilogue has got to be the best epilogue ever written. It kept the balance between ALL OUT CHEESE and fluency and beauty perfectly; so much so that I do consider it part of the story. (Mostly because M+C is revealed in it fully!)
    Oh, that paragraph. I've memorised it nearly completely, it goes something like this: And the Song played on, through its own music, playing beyond the boundaries of the human heart to its own desires; forever wild, forever whole, forever free." I was crying with the beauty of it! The sheer talent Alison's got lifted me off my feet so that I could hear the Song myself. I hear it now, and probably will forever. One last quote to paraphrase the experience for me:
    "Maerad lifted her hand and struck the strings of her lyre, and the world changed forever." My world has changed forever. Thank you, Alison, for creating The Classic.
    Last edited by Eyes of Wolf; July 5th, 2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to close spoiler!

All I can say is The Singing was fabulous. I cannot seem to be able to get the spoiler thing.
    Last edited by Darsor87; July 6th, 2008 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spoiler did not show up.

Idon'tknowwhatthatmeans. Mistress Maerad's Avatar
    Wow, OMG, the strangest thing happened to me in my quest for THE SINGING, and accomplishing my dream of reading it....

.......so, I try to come on here to tell you all that SQUEEE THE SINGING was being shipped to my house, and mysteriously, my computer would not let me on the site. I was so dang mad! This all occured about a week ago, and explains my mysterious absence. So, in the time being, I had nothing to exclaim about with anyone; the agonies of waititng, etc, etc. Very angry, and very impatient for THE SINGING to arrive.

So about 3 days ago, I sent Galaxy Books an e-mail, and they said it would arrive by Tuesday. OMG! I was soo excited. And then what do you know, it arrived yesterday. I just finished it, and I swear, it was the most beautiful thing I ever read.

So when I finished, with mixed despair and joy, I got onto my comp, and I had the wierdest feeling that I should try logging on to sffworld one more time, before i gave up....but LOOK! IM HERE! I was so happy, and now I can actually get onto me feelings about the book.

Spoiler:
    Wow, I have to say, that was the most well-written ending I could ever have possibly imagined. Kudos to Alison!!!! I never could have thought something like that up!!!

But I agree, all throughout the book, there was a strange sensation when reading it; as if I wanted to stop and savour the moment, but had to keep going, keep reading and see what happened.

That feeling blossomed into open resentment a couple of times during the book, and made it hard for me to read it. For instance, Maerad being so...odd, during the whole thing. I mean, she just felt wierd to me, but that helped give me a clearer understand of what was happening to her. She grew so much as a character...she just seemed to be this young girl abruptly growing into a woman with the weight of the world (and I was overjoyed with that title; it had much meaning) upon her shoulders. Especially when she was seeing the Dead, I felt her pain so clearly that I too, cried along with Maerad. It was a really emotional experience.

Other emotional experiences that made me cry were definetely Saliman getting the White Sickness. I didn't think Alison would kill him even then, but to see that trust, that explicit trust from Hem to Saliman and Saliman to Hem, moved me deeply.

Of course, I cried whenever something major happened (I'm just a regular waterworks....lol). But I'd have to say the Hutmoors really did it for me. Just that emotional pain Maerad was going through, Cadvan having to see her in that state and having pain as well....wow. I'm surprised I didn't throw the book across the room lol.

And then of course, there was the end. I mean, it's over. What are we going to DO?!?!?

But anyway, there were times it was happy for me. Like Hem. He just seemed so full of life during the whole thing (even the White Sickness ordeal), and that always made me happy. And the players. I did like them, but I had no idea until it was obvious () that Karim was a traitor. I did, however, realize that Hekibel had a thing for Saliman, and am overjoyed that everything worked out between them.

Which brings me at last to the issue that makes my heart flutter even thinking about that....

M+C CAME TRUE!!!!!!!

Hahahaha, take that unbelievers!!!!!!!!

I was so happy.....obviously.....

Okay, I will now (to calm my madly beating heart) write all the things that made me SCREAM "M+C!!!" in this book!!!!

1.HAIR TUCK MOMENT (for a minute I was afraid she hadn't kept it in there when I was reading that part. When I saw it, I started dancing in my room. ]

2. "Maerad was so exhausted that she would have pitched forward onto her face, had Cadvan not put his arms around her shoulders. She realised that she was cold to her very marrow, and that she was shaking all over.
    'Well done,' whispered Cadvan into her ear, "Oh that was well done. Maerad, ever you repay my faith in you...'" -- Weeeee I mean isn't that awesome???!!!???

3. "Cadvan looked puzzled. 'No, my dear. I could not laugh at you in such a place. I called you home. You were so very far away....'" --- he called her "MY DEAR!" it was awesome....hehehe (I'd put a smilie here, but I've used up the maximum amount of smilies.)

4. "Cadvan watched her anxiously." (no need for the mother/child thing, that just makes him seem a father-figure, which was not meant to be. yay!!!)

5. "She knew now that he valued her for herself, as a friend; but lately he had said things that seemed to mean more." -- wow. that was the first inkling of something. i was grinning like an idiot.

6. "Cadvan gathered her slight body up into his arms and carried her downstairs to the healers, jealously refusing all offers of help, even though he was stumbling with weariness." --jealousy!!!! second inkling. i think by now i was jumping on my bed....

7. Well, I'm not going to quote all the times he supported her while she was too weak to walk, but yeah, those were kool.

8. "'And I am not overfond of seeing you in such a state as you were then.'" I thought at this time that his fury concealed a deep caring, and this made me 99.99999...% sure.

9. "'My hope Maerad, and it is a very small hope to place against the darkness that is now engulfing Annar, lies in your love for Hem, and, perhaps in your love for me, and for others whose kindness you have been grateful for.'" -- wow. wow. wow. only that word can sum up what i felt there. i could just imagine him saying that, the barely concealed longing in his voice...or maybe im just a fangirl....

10. "'Have you not also learned something about love?'" -- squeeeeeee.....

11. "'I swear, Maerad, that I have never said anything in my life that was harder to say.' He looked up and smiled at her, a broken smile, that made Maerad's heart contract with pain." --- awwwww that almost made me cry.

12. "'Then what do you fear?' said Cadvan, whirling around and taking her chin in his hand, so she was forced to look straight into his eyes. 'By the Light, Maerad, what is it that you fear, if not the Dark?'" -- i just liked this whole section. it proves that he cares about her, but feels hopeless as to everything, both in his feelings for her and for that fate of the world.

13. And again, all those moments when he's staring at her in concern, i cannot bother to write, and yet look upon with sheer joy.

14. And, one of the best, was the entire conversation with Hekibel. This was my favorite, I think, in the entire book. Loved it. Such a true moment, where Maerad seemed normal. Here are my fav parts from that section:

"'I wish all the same that he would look at me like Cadvan looks at you.'"
    ---
    "Maerad's mouth dropped open. For a long moment she was too shocked to say anything at all. 'Passion?' she said. 'Cadvan is my very dear - my dearest - friend, but I don't think...'
    ---
    "'If that's mere friendship, my dear, then I have never in my life seen a man in love.'" -SSSSSSSSSSQQQQQQUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!
    ---
    "She had thought it an expression of a deepened understanding between them, a deeper friendship; but it had never occured to her that he might have fallen in love with her." -- ahh, Maerad the Ignorant.
    ---
    "But Cadvan...was different...She found it difficult to breathe, as if her chest were constricted with terror, but perhaps it wasn't terror at all. Underneath it she felt something else; at the thought that Cadvan might love her, a warm rush of excitement made her heart flutter like a dazed bird."

15. "She was no sure that she loved him, and had loved him all along, from the first moment that she laid eyes on him." -- and, Maerad the Unpredictable.

16. "Cadvan tilted up her chin and looked searchingly into her face. Maerad met his eyes as if the sight of him were a spar she was clutching in a stormy sea to save her from drowning." -- everyone says "awwww..." although it really is a sad moment....

17. "Obediently, she climbed onto Darsor behind Cadvan, putting her arms around his waist. She breathed in his familiar smell, which was slightly spicy, like pepper, and leaned her cheek against his back. He was the one solid thing in a world that seemed to be falling away beneath her feet. It was a relief to close her eyes." -- *sniffle* so sweet....

18. "Cadvan put his arm around her shoulder and she leaned into him, her body shuddering." -- poor, poor, Maerad.

19. "But as she thought of Cadvan, she remembered vividly the shape and warmth of his body in her arms, the full thud of his heartbeat, the solid presence that had kept her from madness on the terrible journey through the Hutmoors." -- I think this could be one of the deciding factors that saved her, think ye?

20. "And Cadvan was dearest of all. The memory of how he had caught her up from the ground at Afinil and showered her face with kisses, all his reserve vanishi in his relief that she was alive, still made her body hum with happiness, as if she were a hive full of bees. She had thrown her arms around his neck and kissed him back without shame, and nothing needed to be said; although they had said much as they rode together on Darsor back to Innail. She studied him possessively from the doorway. Hekibel was right: he was very handsome.
    Then Cadvan, feeling her gaze, glanced up towards her. For a moment, he looked stunned. It was a long time since he had seen her in a beautiful dress, her hair washed and shining, her skin glowing from a long bath; and it was as if he were seeing her for the first time. Their eyes held for a long moment, and then he smiled slowly and lifted his glass, and she came into the lamplight to join them." -- it was beautiful. i almost might've liked it to end there. i KNOW this was my favorite section, although it comes to very close with the one below...

21. "He swung Maerad around to face him, and gently kissed the corners of her mouth and each eyelid, and then stood back from her, earnestly studying her face. Maerad smiled and reached up to stroke the scar on his cheekbone, and then she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him passionately. It was some time before they resumed their walk." -- *choked sob* so cute and beautiful...but even better than fanfiction.

Okay, that's it for my fangirlishness. But this is turning out to be a very long message, so I'll finish quickly with some last, quick notes.

But yeah, this book was amazing. The passionate, inspiring way that she writes just makes me well up with emotion, a word I have used way to often in writing this. It made me laugh (especially with Irc, I love him!), and it made me cry, and it had me stranded in the same abyss of loneliness and suffering Maerad was feeling, but drew me out as the beautiful Riddle of the Treesong was resolved. Alison, I thank you from my deepest heart for writing this. I wouldn't be the same without it, and I'm seriously gonna miss this. But it is a wonder, knowing that I can merely open the books again and recreate the journey, and even if it might not be the same as the first time reading it, I will still enjoy it. I loved this, and I still do. It is forever first in my heart. Thanks Alison!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And thanks Maerad and Cadvan and Hem and Saliman, and everyone else.

P.S. If I have included to many quotes, please feel free to erase them, mods.
    Last edited by Mistress Maerad; July 6th, 2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spoilers didnt work which is BAD

I felt exactly the same way MM, the next day
    Spoiler:
    I kept having these moments when I would stop what I was doing and think "OMFG, THEY'RE CANON! MAERAD AND CADVAN ARE CANON! *flail*"

I'm sure I wandered around with a stupid grin on my face for most of the day.

If you go back and re-read Cadvan's comments to Maerad about 90% have some kind of subtext which just screams "I looooooove you!"
    Especially that bit where the two of them are talking about Dernhil. Cadvan says something along the lines of Dernhil being the kind of guy who knew his own emotions clearly and would act apon them and then he's all "if only all of us were so lucid..." Oh, Cadvan, you and your stupid un-lucid ways

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, and that bit, just after the two groups meet back up and Maerad's starting to see the shades and can't sleep. When she looks at Cadvan and sees his death and then says that she couldn't imagine a world with out him! *sigh*

And she does live for 92 years after he dies.

I sat around figuring out everyone's ages at death after I finished, Cadvan and Saliman died at around 340 y/o, can't tell for sure because we don't have birth dates and Maerad died at 369.

I wonder if among bards females live longer on average or if M's longer life span was just a side-effect from being a powerful bard. Remember what she said about Nelac at the end, how as he got older it seemed as though his body faded away or something, leaving him softly glowing most of the time... or something.
    Last edited by Gemini; July 7th, 2008 at 08:16 AM.

Spoiler:
    Well, Cadvan was older than her to begin with, which is why they died so far apart....I personally would go suicidal with grief.

But strangely, I'm okay with this. As long as it's M+C FOREVER!!! lol

And yes, I so agree! All those moments were wonderful. I mean, even in their tiny conversations where barely anything was said, you could see as much. Heikibel's conversation really did it, though. I lovvveed that part.

And yeah, she was wondering about him getting older and yet brighter, since he was a powerful mage. So that could be it, but Cadvan was very powerful as well, and since Maerad lost her elemental powers, she might be even less powerful than him (although I doubt it.) So I think it might be a chance thing that she lived to such an older age. Although, in the entire world, it is said that men generally die before females. My mom is a nurse, she knows this stuff lol.

Anyway, I'm still wishing for quite a few things:

1. I want to know what Cadvan's truename is!!! Why he didn't tell it to Maerad, I'll never know....maybe we'll find out about that in THE FRIENDS? idk....

2. WHY ARE THERE NO RECORDS OF THEM GETTING MARRIED?!?!? That is just completely messed up. Hahaha, I'm a fangirl, but STILL...at least Hekibel and Saliman worked out. But why didn't Hem find anyone either? This means that the line of Pellinor never continued. Unless that Hilarin dude at the beginning manages to become sane....

3. I still want there to be more. That's it. I just can't believe it's over. I mean, some people have pointed out that we can just open the books and read them again, (which I will probably do in every waking moment cuz they're so awesome!!!) but you know it's not the same. Because the series is OVER. I can't believe it.

Ah, but as Cadvan said, "there is always hope."

And as Maerad said, "Say not an end. Say rather another beginning."

Spoiler:
    On the whole "no record of marrige" thing the stupid-romantic-rabid-fangirl half of me screams "SEKRIT WEDDDDDDDDIIIINNNNNNGGGGG!" while the modern-woman-who-belives-marriage-is-an-outdated-custom-with-no-meaning says "RIGHT ON! MAKE BASTARD CHILDREN!"

Oh, well, Alison has told us many times that marriage is unusual between Bards

I still choose to believe in M+C bastard children!

There wasn't much on Hem in the Appendices (besides career related info) was there? No death date, nothing on relationships...
    Last edited by Gemini; July 7th, 2008 at 09:07 AM.

Spoiler:
    lol, i just know they stayed together forever though. Some feeling deep within me....

I don't care whether secret marriage came true, or bastard children. As long as something happened.

BTL, I'm such a fangirl.... Oh well......let the fangirlness live on....

Anyway, yeah, with Hem I was a little disappointed. I mean, in the book I was originally disappointed because I thought the story focused too much on Hem, but his story kind of grew on me, so although he's still not as important as Maerad, (and never was...i think, anyway) I still think he deserves more in the Appendices. But Alison (although grudgingly admitted) made it seem like a lost city because of lack of info.

It's all in our heads, though....
    Last edited by Mistress Maerad; July 7th, 2008 at 09:13 AM. Reason: forgot again.....

lol. All I can say is that I was soooooooo happy when I found out Dymocks had the Singing when I finally got the chance to go out yesterday... I bought it immediately with all the money I had left... $32.95...

Spoiler:
    And I'm just so glad they finally got together! I loved Maerad's discussion with... I can't spell her name..., and later in the epilogue (when she stared possessively at him) when she finally realised that she had feelings for Cadvan (possibly since the first time she laid eyes on him)! I'm so happy right now... #.#

And I couldn't help but giggle when she said something along the lines of: If my heart wasn't already ensnared right now, I would be in great danger of falling in love with Cadvan myself. Have you never realised how handsome he is?, and then in epilogue: ...was right, he is very handsome. It was so sweet... I loved the way Maerad finally discovered her own feelings for Cadvan... she isn't really the type to figure something like that for herself, is she? O.o

Okaaaaay, H+C pairing... O.o

I'll stop.

Going to read... @.@
    Last edited by Ingu; July 7th, 2008 at 09:45 PM.

go mushrooms! and cadvan! Singing4ever's Avatar
    i am SO proud of myself!!!!!
    I DIDNT READ ANY SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    go me
    but i wont be able to keep this up for very long...im not coming onto this thread until i have read the singing. i just want to tell you all that if you put and post-singing stories, POVs, ect. please put a warning!! (though im sure you'd all be good about it...)
    ints interesting....in the spoilers im seeing a lot of smilies....a good sign?? hmm... off to ponder

The Caffeine Addict
    So, I'm one of the silent stalkers of this site but I cannot remain silent on this! I'm in the US but I ordered The Singing from an Australian bookstore and am simply delighted with the results of my investment.

Spoiler:
    M+C made me squee like a mad-woman the entire time. Oh, those two were so silly with love I'm of the same opinion as those above that even though there is no indication of either wedding (which I can live without as long as M/C were still together) or chil'en in the appendices, my imagination will happily step in to add those details. After all, the appendices didn't say they *didn't* have children

And WHAT IS CADVAN'S TRUENAME?????? I really loved the parts where Saliman revealed his and when Maerad discovered Hem's. Now we just need to know Cadvan's; preferably with him telling Maerad, who really deserves to know it by now. Rawr.

Saliman, I think, possibly got both the best and worst draw of the lot. Hekibel was a wonderful compliment to his character, but how sad it must've been when she died. It reminded me of the sparrow story Cadvan told Maerad, about how brief a life truly is. I wonder if all their children were Bards? And I find it hard to believe Hem went his entire life without ever finding love (as in a romantic partner), so I wonder about that as well.

Does anyone know if the story The Friends (?) is post Singing or pre? I personally hope it's post, although it'd be nice to see the beginnings of young Saliman and Cadvan.

Anywho, now I must go reread this wonderful book! I don't want it to be over, but maybe we can still hope for more someday in the future

maerad+cadvan
    waiting at library for singing to come out
    I wish Alison would write about the rest of their lives