Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A C change could be a result of global warming.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar

That deserves a resounding 'ho ho ho'.

So for the neutrino(s) involved, time would run backward...interesting! But indeed no biggie then - if the flow of time is reversed for a particular neutrino, it becomes real easy to finish before the photons...cuz it would arrive before it started...

It's exciting news, but the way things stand I'm betting on a measurement error. Or the photons were just a tad slower than usual Sluggish perhaps, because of global warming...

Cheers,

Sfinx

As much as I admire and respect relativity, I am kinda hoping the result is verified. It'd open up an exciting new world in physics!

dental crowns mexico mexico dental clinics dental tourism mexico
    Last edited by mumford; December 7th, 2011 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonsu View Post
    Maybe C has changed lol
    Shrank in the wash.

Quote Originally Posted by mumford View Post
    As much as I admire and respect relativity, I am kinda hoping the result is verified. It'd open up an exciting new world in physics!
    Sorry, no chance of that. Not only superluminal neutrino contradict to other neutrino velocity measurements(like high-precision measurements from supernova in 1987) it also should cause specific "bremsstrahlung" - braking radiation - which is not observed.

I'm having one of those moments. I found this joke, which is related, and had to share it.

The bartender replies: "Sorry, but we don't serve faster-than-light particles." A neutrino walks into a bar.

Badum-tish.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    I'm having one of those moments. I found this joke, which is related, and had to share it.

The bartender replies: "Sorry, but we don't serve faster-than-light particles." A neutrino walks into a bar.

Badum-tish.
    Ya know I heard this joke not too long ago... this time I got it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post

Badum-tish.
    But wait. wouldn't the neutrino be in the bar before the bartender saw him? Or is the punch line of the joke based on the premise that time would run backwards, in which case........

ugh. There is a very good reason I am an accountant not a physicist.

As expected

Einstein 1, CERN 0

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/10/speedy-neutrino.php

We are safe, the universe is ok and a nutrino can go back to having their usual drink at the local pub.
    Last edited by mylinar; October 18th, 2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: mindless spelling error

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by mylinar View Post
    Einstein 1, CERN 0

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/10/speedy-neutrino.php

We are safe, the universe is ok and a nutrino can go back to having their usual drink at the local pub.
    nope; that paper has been retracted as flawed so the jury is still out; people still expect there is a mistake, but it is going to be subtle and as someone pointed out, hard to figure it without direct access to the data as the Cern guys sat on it for quite a while to eliminate the easy stuff

See the NYT for an update on where things are today

Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    nope; that paper has been retracted as flawed so the jury is still out; people still expect there is a mistake, but it is going to be subtle and as someone pointed out, hard to figure it without direct access to the data as the Cern guys sat on it for quite a while to eliminate the easy stuff

See the NYT for an update on where things are today
    The article says van Elburg is working on an updated version of his theory and it is under peer review. I guess we keep waiting but I don't believe we have seen any violation of Einstein. As was pointed out somewhere we should have seen evidence of Nutrinos years before they arrived from supernova 1987A but they instead arrived right on schedule.

And yet some small part of me would love to know that FTL is possible,

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by mylinar View Post
    The article says van Elburg is working on an updated version of his theory and it is under peer review. I guess we keep waiting but I don't believe we have seen any violation of Einstein. As was pointed out somewhere we should have seen evidence of Nutrinos years before they arrived from supernova 1987A but they instead arrived right on schedule.

And yet some small part of me would love to know that FTL is possible,
    I agree that the Cern result is unlikely - lots of Standard Model stuff goes out the window, not only relativity as you notice above - but I also believe that the mistake will be very subtle and may take trying to replicate the experiment by the other capable labs to detect it since I think the Cern guys were very thorough (egg on the face and all) with the "obvious" stuff like GPS and the like that "outsiders" can see

theoretical refutations though just show the unlikeliness since as mentioned it is very possible the Standard Model to break elsewhere too...

Read interesting books
    Second experiment (though by the same group so still not an independednt confirmation) repeats the findings about neutrinos going ftl

from the NYT HERE