Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ASoIaF Recaps before ADWD comes out

The first (probably of three) 'Story So Far' pieces for those who don't want to reread the books before ADWD comes out.

The first section deals with the mythical pre-history of the series leading up to the Targaryen invasion. Part 2 will deal with the Targaryen dynasty and hopefully will get into the books themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    The first (probably of three) 'Story So Far' pieces for those who don't want to reread the books before ADWD comes out.

The first section deals with the mythical pre-history of the series leading up to the Targaryen invasion. Part 2 will deal with the Targaryen dynasty and hopefully will get into the books themselves.
    Thanks! I just saw this on your blog and will read it today.

Part 2.

This one got a bit out of control and ended up being far more detailed than I planned. Unfortunately, it's unclear what parts of the backstory will be essential in ADWD and which are just fluff and flavour, so I had no choice but to put in everything and the kitchen sink in.

The good news is that brings up up to the books, so the next part will hopefully be able to summarise the existing books more concisely (though it may take two to do them justice).

These are amazing, thanks Wert. There is a lot of stuff in there that I either forgot about, or missed in the books in my initial read. Very interesting to read.

thought i should mention as i made a post here not so long ago asking for reccomendations of this exact thing, a rundown for readers, and was directed by silver47 to the website http://towerofthehand.com/
    on there in the section "books & chapters" it gives you a very brief explanation of each chapter in each book and also a lengthier explanation of each chapter also.

wow after the tv series and reading the mystery knight i am so friggin pumped for the dance!

Good God I want a prequel novel!!! DO you think we'll ever get one??

Quote Originally Posted by mshimmyb View Post
    Good God I want a prequel novel!!! DO you think we'll ever get one??
    That would be pretty cool!

Part 2.

This one got a bit out of control and ended up being far more detailed than I planned. Unfortunately, it's unclear what parts of the backstory will be essential in ADWD and which are just fluff and flavour, so I had no choice but to put in everything and the kitchen sink in.

The good news is that brings up up to the books, so the next part will hopefully be able to summarise the existing books more concisely (though it may take two to do them justice).
    Both of these were awesome, very well put together! I appreciate the work you put into these.

BTW, is the any word on The World of Ice and Fire companion book that was supposed to be released around ADWD?

The World Book is most likely going to be a mid-to-late 2012 release, AFAIK.

GRRM has said that after ASoIaF is finished, he'd love to write a novel about Aegon IV from his POV, and has an idea for a murder mystery novel set in one of the Free Cities (unclear when it would be set). Given he has to finish ASoIaF first, I wouldn't but money on seeing these any time soon. We should have more Dunk and Egg stories, however, and I suspect after the fourth one they should start moving more towards the ASoIaF backstory (particularly towards Summerhall).

Thanks for doing all that Wert. It gives me some idea of who third dragonrider may be.

I've a question, exactly how valuable is that first U.S. grey cover now?

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post

I've a question, exactly how valuable is that first U.S. grey cover now?
    This guy is selling it for $600, which is what I've seen it sell for in the past.

I've got a copy

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    This guy is selling it for $600, which is what I've seen it sell for in the past.

I've got a copy
    Me too, but I'm not sure it's a first edition, as there is no numbers line, and it's not entirely mint.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Sweet - that's the one I was looking for. In reading through part 4, I definitely have a better appreciation for what the 'Meerenese Knot' was. Seems as though every faction has someone on his way to attempt bringing the dragon fire power into their camp.