Hybrid View

A sin - what to do?

I have committed a sin. I did not know that Game of Thrones also were a book series, yeah really, so I have watched the show. I then found out about the books and have started to read the first one. I feel like I am reading the screenplay for the TV series. Can I skip the first book or will I miss out?

They got most of the important details into the show, the book fleshes out the battles and gives more insight into the characters' thoughts.

You should read the book, simply because the books follow from the books (As daft as it sounds). The show will interpret things differently, cut other things and add some bits. They're not the same and shouldn't be treated as such.

Agreed. As great as the first season was, they simply could not fit all of the first book into 10 episodes. Also, as Loerwyn alluded to, in addition to omissions, there were some changes. So definitely, read the book.

Thanks for the advice. I have read 100'ish pages since I posted and I don't regret it.

Just finished it. Was a bit tedious knowing the plot, but still worth the read. Looking forward to reading "Clash of kings"" now