A sin - what to do?

I have committed a sin. I did not know that Game of Thrones also were a book series, yeah really, so I have watched the show. I then found out about the books and have started to read the first one. I feel like I am reading the screenplay for the TV series. Can I skip the first book or will I miss out?

They got most of the important details into the show, the book fleshes out the battles and gives more insight into the characters' thoughts.

You should read the book, simply because the books follow from the books (As daft as it sounds). The show will interpret things differently, cut other things and add some bits. They're not the same and shouldn't be treated as such.

Agreed. As great as the first season was, they simply could not fit all of the first book into 10 episodes. Also, as Loerwyn alluded to, in addition to omissions, there were some changes. So definitely, read the book.

Thanks for the advice. I have read 100'ish pages since I posted and I don't regret it.

Just finished it. Was a bit tedious knowing the plot, but still worth the read. Looking forward to reading "Clash of kings"" now

Where did they come up with the homo erotic chest shaving scene between The King of Flowers and Lord Rently (episode 6)??? This scene came out of nowhere... After watching I opened my dusty book and it was not in there.
    It even inspired me to write a review on this topic about GOT book vs. HBO TV series...
    Do you think there are any other differences I have missed?

P.S.: @moderators I have only recently joined your community, and I have´t found any rules or pointer about posting links. If posting a link to my GOT review blog is in any violations of you rules, I Apologize

mod edit: concerning forum guidelines, they are here
    Last edited by PeterWilliam; October 14th, 2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: removed link

People just overly pick up on that one because they don't want Homoerotica pushed in their faces because it might make them gay.

Le gasp.

No, I'm kidding. But there's that awkward scene with Dorea and Viserys where they're making out and Vis is totally getting off on dragontalk.

...Sexy times were not done well. :P