January 2012 SF Discussion Nominations

Hi all,

Time for some nominations for a January discussion book. Here's the "rules":

1. Everyone can nominate one book and second a reasonably small number of other books.
    2. Books must be available new in US and UK (I just check the two Amazons for this). They should also be in a format other than hardcover, so as to keep costs down.
    3. Books must be standalone or book 1 in a series (usually not a problem in SF).
    4. They can't have been book club books before. The nearly complete list of previous discussions can be found here.

And just a reminder, the book selected for December is Andreas Eschbach's The Carpet Makers.

How about The Recollection by Gareth L. Powell? It is a 2011 debut from Solaris so should be readily available.

Book Recommendation

How about Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi? It's supposed to be funny.

I'd be up for trying the Powell. Sounds interesting enough.

I guess I wouldn't mind doing the Scalzi, but I tend to find his books a little pop-corny. They're fine while I'm reading them, but I don't find them to be terribly substantive in the long run.

Alternately, in case this kicks up more interest, I've been wanting to read more Michael Flynn for a while now, as I've really enjoyed both of his books that I've read. This one seems apt: The January Dancer

January Read

Regarding my earlier Agent to the Stars suggestion, I started reading it and it's dumb!! I'm open for suggestions, but I just picked up a copy of Darwin's Paradox by Nina Munteanu when I was at SF Contario. It sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    Alternately, in case this kicks up more interest, I've been wanting to read more Michael Flynn for a while now, as I've really enjoyed both of his books that I've read. This one seems apt: The January Dancer
    I second the January Dancer.

I read January Dancer when it first published a couple of years ago, didn't like it very much, but will participate in the discussion if it is chosen.

Since January Dancer and The Recollection both seem to have about the same level of (dis)interest, let's take them for the next two months - The January Dancer by Michael Flynn for January and Gareth Powell's The Recollection for February.

Sounds good, Erfael. As I said in the Reading in December thread, I'm 2/3 into The Recollection and think it's a fun read. I hope others feel the same way.

Hmm, my library doesn't have either of these books.