Honor Harrington movie - Coming Soon(?)

Saw this over on David's blog.

This is most excellent news, and I seriously hope it comes through to a finished product. I know myself, Rob and chitman (Apologies if I'm wrong) have recently been nosing the series as have a few other members, and this news comes just one week after David's latest release, How Firm a Foundation, and one week before his next, A Beautiful Friendship, so he must be having an excellent month.

Is anyone else going to be interested in this?

As much as I liked OBS and intend to keep reading these books (real soon, I think), this doesn't interest me much at all. Then again, I'm one who tends to cringe any time anyone is turning any book into a movie. There's has yet to be a movie (or TV) adaptation of a book I liked that has done anything more for me than the book itself (and usually they do much less). There's just no way to take a book, even a modestly-sized one like OBS, and faithfully adapt it into a visual format without sacrificing what made it special in the first place. Some people have come pretty close, but it hasn't really happened yet.

A movie could be interesting, but I think this could work better as a long-form TV series with each book working as a season. Hmmm...haven't other book series worked pretty well in that fashion?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    A movie could be interesting, but I think this could work better as a long-form TV series with each book working as a season. Hmmm...haven't other book series worked pretty well in that fashion?
    Some have done a pretty good job of it, but I don't find they use their new medium to do anything above and beyond what the book already does...and in the current age, budgeting problems tend to get in the way of that sort of thing, anyway.

I'm trying to think of really good examples of adaptations and having trouble doing so. LOTR was just about as good as I've seen, and I like the movies an awful lot...but they took something like 10 or 11 ours to tell that story, not something other movies will be able to do.

I guess David Simon's Homicide ended up making a really good TV series, but that was used much more as inspiration than a flat-out retelling.

The interesting thing to note about this movie is that, going by David's post, it sounds like it will be fully CGI. That means it could look as brilliant as the Final Fantasy movie from years back or it could have the slightly odd feel of the Ultramarines movie.

As odd as it sounds, I'm actually half-hoping it's a stylised version rather than something ultra-realistic. I think it could work as a slightly cartoony film, but I reckon if I say that too often people will pelt me with rotten veg.

I can see OBS having the potential to be a moderately good movie. In my mind I can see a lot of the book easily being cut to fit a movie 2-2.5 hours long and still being able to include and complete most of the main story arcs.

I would watch it. Of course, I would also not even come close to expecting it to be as good as the book.

I would prefer HotQ but I will have to see OBS if they make it.

A six-legged treecat I have to see. LOL

But I suppose it will be no big deal after Avatar.

psik

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    I guess David Simon's Homicide ended up making a really good TV series, but that was used much more as inspiration than a flat-out retelling.
    It ended up actually being two really good TV series: Homicide: Life on the Street and The Wire (the latter is actually closer to the book; some of the actual detectives and criminals from the book are in the TV show, either playing themselves or fictionalised versions of themselves).

I know that. I actually found the book after watching The Wire, and now I'm working my way through Homicide. Incidentally, for those who haven't read it, Homicide is a really, really good book.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Saw this over on David's blog.

This is most excellent news, and I seriously hope it comes through to a finished product. I know myself, Rob and chitman (Apologies if I'm wrong) have recently been nosing the series as have a few other members, and this news comes just one week after David's latest release, How Firm a Foundation, and one week before his next, A Beautiful Friendship, so he must be having an excellent month.

Is anyone else going to be interested in this?
    Duh! I would love to see an Honor Harrington film, especially if done right. I think OBS could potentially fit into a regular 2 hour film, but then what? The books have a vast story arc that is not conducive to movies. Not to mention that these films would actually need to make a profit in order to produce more sequels every 2 to 3 years. General audiences do not watch scifi films outside of Star Trek or Star Wars. I'd much rather OBS be made into a mini series for Showtime or HBO, or even Starz. Afterwards they can maybe turn it into a regular series.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt View Post
    Duh! I would love to see an Honor Harrington film, especially if done right. I think OBS could potentially fit into a regular 2 hour film, but then what? The books have a vast story arc that is not conducive to movies. Not to mention that these films would actually need to make a profit in order to produce more sequels every 2 to 3 years. General audiences do not watch scifi films outside of Star Trek or Star Wars. I'd much rather OBS be made into a mini series for Showtime or HBO, or even Starz. Afterwards they can maybe turn it into a regular series.
    I think either would work for OBS...either mini series or movie. The good think about OBS is that it has plenty of conflict throughout that would set itself up nicely for a short series. At the same time it has plenty of resolution that would make a good movie. The end of OBS leaves plenty of allusions to what could happen with the PRH but still manages not to end in a cliff hanger.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it ends...no "to be continued" which is good for a movie. The later books are too interconnected for movies, in my opinion.

I would love to see someone finally bring this to the screen. I have been wondering for more than a decade now how it hasn't happened yet. I always thought the series seemed practically written for TV.
    I would hope they'd start with Honor of the Queen, though. On Basilisk Station is pretty slow to action and not a real good kickoff for a movie or pilot. You need to capture peoples attention with the first showing.
    A successful first movie could birth more follow-up movies, or, better yet, a cable series. There is tons of action, character developement, story line, and the potential for all the CGI space warfare is mindblowing in scope.
    Love to see this happen, but happen well.
    The casting would need to be mostly all new faces. I would hate to see any current actress get the role of Honor herself. Noone I can think of would be acceptable to me.

Just seen this, very interesting. I think the Honorverse novels would excellent as a TV series, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I know it won't be the books, but it's the type of series that could easily take some adaption providing the foundation and core components are in place.

Keep an eye on this I will....

I will simply say I'd love to see this book series brought to the screen on any platform, so long as it's made with some quality.
    The series is my personal SF favorite.
    I've read every book at least 3 times.
    I always thought it would make a great SciFi Channel series to rival SG or Battlestar Galactica, or Babylon 5.
    Hope it happens.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Showtime has been doing the TruBlood series from the Sookie Stackhouse paranormal series for 4 or 5 seasons now. Some people like it but having read the books my take is that it starts out pretty true to the stories then starts veering off course as new characters and storylines are tossed in for no good reason that I can see. By season three I just gave it up as nearly unrecognizable. For some reason the screenwriters feel compelled to inprove things or change them for the sake of change. Maybe they think that it will keep the story fresh but it didn't work for me.