Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    A lot of folks upthread are talking about being interested in a sequel. I'm not sure I think it needs one
    Aah, you're right, you're right. The book doesn't need a sequel - I do...

    Still, the OASIS universe does offer plenty of room for new adventures. And wouldn't hurt if some of the eighties stuff would find its way in there as well - what with Parzifal now being Master of the Universe and all...

    Cheers,

    Sfinx.

  2. #17
    It's not so much that it needs a sequel, I just want more in this world. It helped that even with all the bad stuff that was happening/had happened it still had a bit of an upbeat feel. Too many books I've read lately seem to be mostly doom & gloom where even the heroes are more dark than light.

    Anyone else ever imagine similar ideas to the movie idea at the end of gate 1? I've had similar thoughts before reading this book. A VR machine where you could put a DVD into it and then go into that world and take one of the parts over.

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Shonsu View Post
    Anyone else ever imagine similar ideas to the movie idea at the end of gate 1? I've had similar thoughts before reading this book. A VR machine where you could put a DVD into it and then go into that world and take one of the parts over.
    1993: Last Action Hero

    But yea, that would be an immediate hit if ever realised! But would be even more popular if you - unlike in Halliday's version - could alter the story and its outcome through your actions. But I'm fairly sure it won't be long till VR gaming truly takes off. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months time exactly that turns out to be Steve Jobs' final legacy to the world...using your iVisor to navigate in a virtual universe...

    Cheers,

    Sfinx.

  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfinx View Post
    1993: Last Action Hero

    But yea, that would be an immediate hit if ever realised! But would be even more popular if you - unlike in Halliday's version - could alter the story and its outcome through your actions. But I'm fairly sure it won't be long till VR gaming truly takes off. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months time exactly that turns out to be Steve Jobs' final legacy to the world...using your iVisor to navigate in a virtual universe...

    Cheers,

    Sfinx.
    That's how I envisioned it as well lol. I got tired of watching horror movies and thinking to myself "Ya know... I think I could survive that".

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Shonsu View Post
    That's how I envisioned it as well lol. I got tired of watching horror movies and thinking to myself "Ya know... I think I could survive that".
    ...which is exactly what Wes Craven uses - and turns around - in Scream, where the girl actually does the smart thing, and still gets wasted.

    But once iTunes starts featuring VR iMovies I'll keep an eye out for the airing of Freddy vs. Shonsu

    Cheers,

    Sfinx

    PS: that silly Balrog wouldn't catch me unaware...

  6. #21
    The idea is kind of neat but think of how boring movies would be if you could change the outcome. Think of the tagline for Texas Chainsaw Massacre; A group of young adults take a road trip. Yeah that's it.

  7. #22
    If your of a certain age and have a certain skill set (geek set), then this will be up your street.

    The book is more than its references though. He has a superb page turning style that is a pleasure to consume. I also thought the descriptions of the contents of OASIS were suitably encompassing and had an epic feel.

    This is his first novel? If so he certainly has talent in my opinion.

    I haven't read a book I have enjoyed so much in a long time.

  8. #23
    Vanaeph Westsiyeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    888
    Very entertaining book; I was born in the early seventies and spent a lot of time on arcade machines in my early days, which made this even more enjoyable (I remember Joust and in particular Defender being quite tricky to play).

    Good to read something a bit different but also that resonates so closely with many of us and our lives back in the 80's (I admit I knew most of the music references!) And it had a pace that kept you going which is always a good sign - I finished in three sittings.

    Good book of the month pick.

  9. #24
    I get to read this one soon after all. As my State Library didn't have the book yet, I filled in an online form for suggesting library purchases, and they have purchased the book and sent it to my local library where it awaits me ... Well, I've never done that before, it really is quite exciting ...

    After reading the posts so far, I'm very much looking forward to it.

    In the meantime I have already read Nov and Dec BOMs.

  10. #25
    Vanaeph Westsiyeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieOz View Post
    As my State Library didn't have the book yet, I filled in an online form for suggesting library purchases, and they have purchased the book and sent it to my local library where it awaits me ... Well, I've never done that before, it really is quite exciting ...
    It's pretty cool, hey? The local Brisbane Council Library has done that for me a couple of times too.

  11. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    It's pretty cool, hey? The local Brisbane Council Library has done that for me a couple of times too.
    Oh hello Westsiyeed - a fellow Australian! I'm from Tassie.
    I must work out how to put my location on my profile.

  12. #27
    Dazed Rambler Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    503
    It was an entertaining book and I enjoyed it, but I do not think as highly of the book as others. The characterization was rather poor and the main character, whenever he switched over to his normal, dull, everyday life, induced yawns and nearly forced me to put the book down. Still, a good book and one of the better SF releases this year.

    As for sequels... the book does not need a sequel, as there is little place to go once you are the most powerful figure in the world, but there is certainly room for more adventures with another cast.
    Last edited by Winter; October 20th, 2011 at 05:23 AM.

  13. #28
    It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Widdershins
    Posts
    2,054
    Two months late for the discussion, but still glad it was picked in the book club. I might have ignoed it otherwise.
    I would echo an earlier comment and say I feel like this book was written especially for me : I grew up in the seventies and actually spent hours and money at the coin operated arcades. My favorites were a submarine simulation with only white lines on a black screen and a paintbrush version of Pac-Man. Later I graduated to tapefeed Commodore and through the whole PC collection.
    Beyond the pop culture references, this is truly a well written adventure and a page turner that kept me up in the wee hours of the morning to finish the final quest.
    I don't really want a follow up, the books works well as a stand alone, but I will pick up the next Ernest Cline book regardless of subject. I might even push forward Otherland in my reading list. Only the fact that Tad Williams tends to get long winded kept me away so far.

  14. #29
    Not my kind of book, even though I recognise a great deal of the 80s nostalgia.
    I read up to the part where he won the first key and gave up.
    I think my teenage son would enjoy it more.

  15. #30
    Sorry, just read my post and it sounded really blunt.
    I just mean it's not the kind of book that appeals to me - perhaps because I've never been into virtual reality games, except when I used to play Barbie Girls with my daughter ...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •