Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reading in October 2011

This is where you talk to us about your monthly SF Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.

Our Fantasy Book of the Month is our traditional Horror book for Halloween: Anno Dracula by Kim Newman. Discuss here.

Our SF Book of the Month is a new release: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Discuss here.

Must also say that SFFWorld member Randy M., one of our biggest Horror fans, has a Countdown to Halloween, with recommendations throughout the month until the day itself. It's a great list: I highly recommend it!

And many thanks to Randy for putting the graft in.

Great reading all: and Happy Halloween!

Mark
    Mark

I'm going to see October in by continuing with three sci-fi novels from last month.

Remnant Population - Elizabeth Moon
    I'm past 100 pages, but I've just stopped. Will be picking it up again soon, I hope.

The Telling - Ursula K. LeGuin
    Think I made a mistake when I picked this up. Haven't got a flipping clue what anyone is waffling about, and the writing style is irritating. Will keep trying, however.

Goliath - Scott Westerfeld
    It's quite interesting, and it's keeping me going, but I'm not going to be sorry to see this dieselpunk (It's not steampunk, no matter what anyone else says) series end. I've enjoyed them but to me they're too deeply flawed to take seriously, and Westerfeld really doesn't hide how he's setting characters up to develop in certain ways although he has surprised me once or twice.

1984 (again)

Writer, Artist, Beeyotch ShandaLear's Avatar
    I will be devouring Terry Pratchett's SNUFF on October 11th.

I'm trying out Revelation Space. I'm about 100 pages in and so far the narrative is distracting. I can't seem to get into it too well. Especially coming off Ready Player One which was much more direct and less confusing. I'll still finish this I'm sure (I rarely stop partway through a book), but I doubt I'll read the whole series.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonsu View Post
    I'm trying out Revelation Space. I'm about 100 pages in and so far the narrative is distracting. I can't seem to get into it too well. Especially coming off Ready Player One which was much more direct and less confusing. I'll still finish this I'm sure (I rarely stop partway through a book), but I doubt I'll read the whole series.
    I've read a number of Alastair Reynolds books now and really enjoyed them, but started Revelation Space recently and put it down after 100 pages - I just couldn't engage with the story or the characters.

I think his writing's improved with time so if this is your first Reynolds novel, maybe try one of his later ones - maybe House of Suns (this is one of my favourites), or Galactic North for short stories.

After just finishing Mistborn (fantastic), I'll start on either Flashback or By Light Alone tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropie View Post
    1984 (again)
    Ha ha! I think I've read it four times in total - a timeless novel.

Just finished The Boat of a Million Years by Poul Anderson. Not what I had expected at all, but very good! I didnt read the blurb on the cover because I had this one confused with another book about people living on a generation ship that didnt know they were. One of the characters in Poul's book was an explorer and I kept expecting him to run into a giant vid wall or something I quickly figured out my mistake and enjoyed the book.

Working on After the Apocalypse. Short stories by Maureen McHugh. Totally impressed so far.

Science-Fantasy Zealot symbolhunter's Avatar
    I like anthologies and am browsing through Carol Serling's 50th Anniversary edition of the Twilight Zone series which has 19 original stories written in the style of the episodes of the program. Contributors include writers like Mike Resnick, Tad Williams, and Laura Lippman.
    Last edited by symbolhunter; October 2nd, 2011 at 03:10 PM.

Finished OSC's new manga, Laddertop, and it was pretty good although it's pretty much just Ender with two girls minus Ender. I'm sure it will branch out after this first volume.

Also, randomly, started Shadow of the Hegemon and it's really good so far.

I finish Scott Westerfeld's Goliath last night.

Eh. 300 pages of 'eh', 200(ish) pages of attempts at excitement and surprises, resulting in a 500ish page book that did little for me, but was still readable. But hey, that's another series done!

And now to start a new one! I shall be starting David Weber's A Beautiful Friendship today.
    Last edited by Loerwyn; October 3rd, 2011 at 02:41 AM.

Just finished Revelation Space and it got better about halfway through so I guess I'll go ahead and read the next one in the series. Even though the last 50 pages or so kind of hurt my brain a little lol.

Ink-stained Wretch Teresa Edgerton's Avatar
    I've been busier than usual and I don't have as much time for reading ... well, that's not exactly true. It's partly because when I do have time I'm too tired to read. Still trying to read through everything by Stephen Palmer. Right now, it's Flowercrash.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    And now to start a new one! I shall be starting David Weber's A Beautiful Friendship today.
    We talked about this on twitter and the fact that my copy isn't due to be shipped for another week However, in my complete and utter impatience I got the e-version. Finished the first part and around 1/3rd in and ABSOLUTELY LOVING IT. I can see why it's aimed at the YA crowd, at least from what I've read, but I'm hoping the rest of the novel raises the stakes a little. Very interesting so far

I can also see why it's YA, but in a way I was actually expecting it to be teen. I'll comment on this more in a review, but the science in it is way beyond teen. A lot of what's been mentioned wasn't covered - in my education at least - until I got to maybe the later end of high school or even sixth form.

Seems a bit odd to have a 12 year old girl as the protagonist of a YA novel, but I'm not complaining. Steph rocks.