The Stormlight Archive - discussion with SPOILERS

I don't think a general thread for this series has been started.

I have read both books and enjoyed them.
    I am not sure where he is going from here.

Is Sanderson trying to be the anti-Martin to the point where he refuses to kill anyone off?

The only one that seems to have been killed is (forgot his name - prince that used to own Kaladin). This is fine but seems anti-climatic considering his prominence as a foil.

Quote Originally Posted by cgw View Post
    I don't think a general thread for this series has been started.

I have read both books and enjoyed them.
    I am not sure where he is going from here.

Is Sanderson trying to be the anti-Martin to the point where he refuses to kill anyone off?

The only one that seems to have been killed is (forgot his name - prince that used to own Kaladin). This is fine but seems anti-climatic considering his prominence as a foil.
    Well, I thought he'd killed of Jasnah, but then she showed up at the end. I've loved the books, but I have wondered about the lack of character deaths. He didn't hesitate toward the end of the Mistborn trilogy.

It's certainly an interesting series, though I wasn't entirely on-board with all of the ways Sanderson chose to advance things in Words of Radiance. I made a rather lengthy post in the Words of Radiance spoiler thread (link) discussing the book in more detail, but suffice it to say that while still a strong book and one that I enjoyed reading, I wished he had taken a few different lines with his plot/character decisions. The multitude of 'fake' character deaths is one of those decisions that irked me, as others have mentioned. I also feel he's jumped the gun a bit on a few of the Radiant abilities, namely the Windrunners who are apparently akin to Superman in this universe with super strength, speed, healing, and equipped with magically enhanced and shifting weaponry.

As always though, the world-building is superb. The spren and their various impacts, shardblades/plates, lost Radiants and their unique powers, and a host unexplored organizations and areas littering the world really make it an alluring and fascinating place. The little side stories in each interlude are some of my favorite inclusions in this epic, as is the artwork dispersed throughout the book, which combine to really provide a sense of depth and help expand the world he's building.

So while I am not without my quibbles here and there, as Sanderson has proven in the past that he can pull things together in grand fashion, I'll remain optimistic for the rest of the series to come.

Unlike Kazaxat, I am a little pessimistic about the rest of the story. (can anyone reassure me?) It just seem like the story took complete 90 degree turn at the end of the second book. On the other hand this could be good (i.e. new and exciting).

I'm really excited to see where it's going. Sanderson has earned my trust over his career.

If I could time travel and pull one completed book series from the future, this would be it. Or better yet, the entire Cosmere series. I have a lot of faith in Sanderson.