Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Orbit has put The Dragon's Path on sale again for $2.99. This also has the ARC of Levithan Wakes so you can get get two books for next to nothing.

From what I understand, the Abraham $2.99 sale is good only for today

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Yeah, I got the Orbit email earlier today at that's what I thought it was stating.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    Orbit has put The Dragon's Path on sale again for $2.99. This also has the ARC of Levithan Wakes so you can get get two books for next to nothing.
    Thanks. Grabbed a copy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Having watched Orbit for some time now -- I've discovered what they "say" is not always what happens. For instance Hedgewitch Queen was only supposed to be $2.99 for the first month of release but it's always been $2.99. I think in this case they've made a business decision that that price is doing well for that book.

Dragon's Path is still $2.99 right now...but there is no telling how long it will be that way. It may be that Orbit has already put in the request to return to normal pricing and it will take a while for Amazon to process it, or it may be that they are seeing good results, and have determined to continue the price break.

They put my book on sale for $4.99 and it was supposed to last 7 days but it ended up being that way for about 11 days (IIRC) again in that case I think it was a matter of processing the request.

Morale of the story - when you see the drop - snatch them right away, but if you miss the "dates" check and you might see a nice surprise.

Angelfall, by Susan Ee -- I haven't read it, but I am hearing good things about it and it's getting about a bazillion good reviews. UF. Currently $1.99 from Amazon --

http://www.amazon.com/Angelfall-Penr...4859800&sr=1-1

Blog Entries
    Blood of Elves (The Witcher) by Andrzej Sapkowski has been reduced from $7.99 o $2.99. This is the follow-up to The Last Wish

Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    Blood of Elves (The Witcher) by Andrzej Sapkowski has been reduced from $7.99 o $2.99. This is the follow-up to The Last Wish
    Nein. It's the first novel. The Last Wish is a collection of short stories set, largely, before the first novel but I wouldn't say Blood of Elves is in anyway a follow-up.

Don't you think you're being a little nitpicky ? He didn't say it was a SEQUEL to The Last Wish...a follow-up (to me, anyways) could simply imply a subsequent work by the author. Besides, I think reading The Last Wish first would familiarize new readers with the character before delving into the novel.

Yes, but it's a common misconception that The Last Wish is in any form a direct precursor to Blood of Elves. Both it and the yet-unpublished Miecz przeznaczenia come before Blood of Elves chronologically (and it introduces characters who appear later in the series), but considering it likely won't be published, it's neither here nor there.

In other words; The Last Wish is not necessary for Blood of Elves, and you should be able to read the latter without the former.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Nein. It's the first novel. The Last Wish is a collection of short stories set, largely, before the first novel but I wouldn't say Blood of Elves is in anyway a follow-up.
    Ah good to know - I was just going off the description from Amazon.

Out of curiosity. Why did you say:

Both it and the yet-unpublished Miecz przeznaczenia come before Blood of Elves chronologically (and it introduces characters who appear later in the series), but considering it likely won't be published, it's neither here nor there.
    Last edited by sullivan_riyria; April 22nd, 2012 at 02:12 PM.

From what I've gathered, Gollancz have no interest in publishing it. I don't think it even has an official English translation.

So, even with the legal wrangling sorted out, unless Gollancz change their mind, it will not be possible to have a complete set of Witcher books in English.

Yes, but it's a common misconception that The Last Wish is in any form a direct precursor to Blood of Elves. Both it and the yet-unpublished Miecz przeznaczenia come before Blood of Elves chronologically (and it introduces characters who appear later in the series), but considering it likely won't be published, it's neither here nor there.

In other words; The Last Wish is not necessary for Blood of Elves, and you should be able to read the latter without the former.
    Fair enough. I'm just a bit of an obsessed completionist when it comes to things like this, so I automatically fall into the camp of "you must read everything by the author in the order it was written". Oh well.

Anyways...on a side note, I did see that the English translation of "Time of Contempt" (originally published in 1995, the sequel to "Blood of Elves") is supposed to come out this year. According to Amazon.com, it will be available on December 27.

Blog Entries
    I've just created a subreddit site for free fantasy books. If you are looking for some good free reads, or want to add books to the list - please visit

http://www.reddit.com/r/fantasy_freebies/

Blog Entries
    My publisher (Orbit) put another book on sale: EQUATIONS OF LIFE by Simon Morden it was the Winner of the 2012 Philip K. Dick Award
    Last edited by sullivan_riyria; May 7th, 2012 at 08:34 AM.