Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Riyria Revelations Author sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Another price drop from Orbit: Gail Carriger's Souless is just $0.99. I'm not sure for how long it will be at that price.

the lower highlands of Michigan, atop a hill, within a forest
    Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    My publisher (Orbit) put antoher book on sale: EQUATIONS OF LIFE by Simon Morden it was the Winner of the 2012 Philip K. Dick Award

Thanks for the links and your continuing efforts here. They are greatly appreciated.

JC

Riyria Revelations Author sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaim Grymauch View Post
    Thanks for the links and your continuing efforts here. They are greatly appreciated.
    JC
    Glad you find them helpful...I've also started a reddit sub for free fantasy books. It's brand new and can be found here.

Baen is publishing, The Monster Hunters by by Larry Correia, an omnibus of the first three books in that series. The hardcover will be $24 (USD) while the E-version is only $6USD. Yes, $6USD for three novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Yes, $6USD for three novels.
    Who else but Baen?

This thread actually makes me sad. I feel for the authors getting a mere pittance.

Dude, it's all a marketing initiative. Give away the first for free/cheep they'll come back for more at full price.

Dude, it's all a marketing initiative. Give away the first for free/cheep they'll come back for more at full price.
    Perhaps you're right, Mr. Rob. I would be aaaangry if I were one of these authors.

Yeah, I was just talking with somebody about this phenomenon yesterday. It's just like drug pushers -- "psssst, little girl! Ya wanna piece of candy? First piece is only $2.99!"

In fact I just started a new-to-me mystery series yesterday, thanks to a $2.99 first installment. Now, of course, I'm hooked. Arg.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
    Perhaps you're right, Mr. Rob. I would be aaaangry if I were one of these authors.
    Because you would get more sales? More fans? More money?

I don't think they'd do this if it weren't working. Quoting from a fictional author: "Readers have a loyalty that cannot be matched anywhere else in the creative arts..."

Why? They get paid the same regardless of whether the book is on sale or not, as far as I'm aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Why? They get paid the same regardless of whether the book is on sale or not, as far as I'm aware.
    I think I've heard with eBooks it's different. Was it Hines that had a post about how Amazon cut down his royalties? He may have just been talking about independently publishing. With the biggies, you may get the same no matter what, but obviously I'm not the one to ask.

With Hines, he was talking about his self-published titles (Kitemaster, Goblin Tales) rather than his books through DAW.

I can tell that its certainly a good method from what I have read above. I guess so.

At a panel at iCon (in new york at stonybrook university on long island) there was a bunch of authors talking about eBooks and their affect. For one, they unanimously complained about Amazon revising (always downward) their royalties on eBook sales. They also noted that they have no way of checking that their eBooks are not being ripped off. With a paper book or a print on demand book, you know how many are sold based on the # of copies they have left and that can be tracked. But with eBooks they are all suspicious of Amazon.

I still prefer my hard backs. BUT.... Mrs. C got a new Kindle for Mother's Day. And I tried out reading a bit of a book on it. I can see how being able to search for a term can be helpful with some of our genres (Fantasy/Horror/SciFi).

Quote Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
    I can tell that its certainly a good method from what I have read above. I guess so.

At a panel at iCon (in new york at stonybrook university on long island) there was a bunch of authors talking about eBooks and their affect. For one, they unanimously complained about Amazon revising (always downward) their royalties on eBook sales. They also noted that they have no way of checking that their eBooks are not being ripped off. With a paper book or a print on demand book, you know how many are sold based on the # of copies they have left and that can be tracked. But with eBooks they are all suspicious of Amazon.

I still prefer my hard backs. BUT.... Mrs. C got a new Kindle for Mother's Day. And I tried out reading a bit of a book on it. I can see how being able to search for a term can be helpful with some of our genres (Fantasy/Horror/SciFi).
    I've read some blogs of authors who love Amazon since you can get a better royalty rate than with traditional means - J.A. Konrath - and some authors who have been disappointed with Amazon - Jim Hines. It's definitely a hard one, because I think it can be a good thing, but like you said, they seem to be doing some back-handed swindling.

I like my Kindle for it's convenience, but otherwise, I prefer good ol' paper any day. My wife, however, is sick of our limited space being eaten up.