Trying to remember book title

Hi, I used to read a lot of science fiction. I'm struggling to remember the title of a book I read years ago. I remember it as being not particularly good SF but for some strange reason I want to reread it. It was book one of a series.

I remember I checked it out of the public library in 1989-1992 (high school). The premise of the story was intergalactic war where one race of aliens was beating a group of allied aliens (good guys).

The good guys decide to explore some of the unknown parts of the galaxy to find an edge over the bad guys. They discover Earth. I remember the the type of aliens that first discovered Earth were wolf/dog like.

I remember that the bad guys could either read minds or use mind control. Again, if I remember correctly humans were either immune or more resistant to mind control/reading. At the conclusion of the book, the good guys decide to not let Earth into the alliance because of a lack of advancement but do let humans serve in the good guy army.

If this jogs anybody's memory please let me know so that I can get on with my life.

Best regards.

Read interesting books
    Sounds like The Damned trilogy by AD Foster

Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    Sounds like The Damned trilogy by AD Foster
    Ding, ding, ding. That is correct. Thank you