Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wise Man's Fear question

I didn't want to post on exisiting threads due to spoilers. I am at the point in Wise Man's Fear where
    Spoiler:
    he is breaking into Ambrose's apartment to get back Denner's ring.
    My problem is that the book is so slow paced it's maddening. In the present, he is supposed to be this fantastic warrior, but in the flashbacks, all he does is worry about his lute case, dating girls, and paying tuition. He hasn't learned a single new thing in the entire novel up to this point - no new skills, no new abilities, and no new aspirations. Does it ever pick up and does he ever actually progress in his skills?
    Last edited by phil_geo; February 12th, 2014 at 11:18 AM.

Yes.

But I'd be careful about posting questions that contain what some would consider spoilers in the questions themselves. You may want to go back and wrap spoiler tags around your original post.

Chapter 34 and still nothing. The writing is great and he makes mundane drudgery interesting, but the really frustrating part is the Chekhov's gun aspect of it.
    Spoiler:
    He finally gets access to the archive, and then learns nothing about anything his whole time in it. He finally gets into a class on naming, and learns absolutely nothing in months of classes. I know he will eventually get stuff from these things, but having it set up 5 or 6 times with no payoff is too many.

Part of me wants to say "Keep at it, stuff happens soonish that I'm sure you'll appreciate more".

Though at the same time
    Spoiler:
    part of the purpose of these books is to give lots of little hints and clues and reveal puzzle pieces that seem like "nothing", but may well seem brilliant if/when you put them together. There are people who have literally read those chapters you're reading now dozens of times for what's actually in them.
    Either way, you're getting there.

He is learning things and he is learning skills -- just not necessarily all warrior skills and not always magic skills -- at least not immediately apparent. You might want to pay more attention to the cultures Kvothe is dealing with and the political, spy and negotiation skills he is developing. Wise Man's Fear is differently structured from The Name of the Wind. It is essentially a loosely connected, chronological set of multiple stories, each one being a different type of fairy tale with its own tone and focus. All the tales together develop different parts of Kvothe emotionally and skill-wise, but not all the skills are warrior-power skills.

To be honest WMF doesn't really answer many questions, and not a whole lot happens, I remember thinking as I finished it - nothing has really happened in two books yet they have become one of my favorite reads of all time.

Think his main strength is in his writing, Kvothe could be watching paint dry or grass grow and it would still be interesting.

Spoiler:
    I personally like the scenes with Auri and when he is in the inn with his friends where literally nothing really happens, where as I found the whole 'dragon' story at the end of NOTW perhaps the weakest point of the books.

I've just finished a re-read of both kingkiller books. If you think NOTW was slow wait till you get to WMF you're going to be in for more drudgery i think the pacing isn't very good. Parts are way too slow then all a sudden something happens then real slow again. i wont do any spoilers but it is a much weaker book than NOTW

There really isn't a whole lot that happens in either of the books. I think that the writing is fabulous, but I don't really connect with the characters. That isn't to say that the characterization is bad..... they are very realistic, and well written and well-developed... I just don't really like any of them. My problem really, because I have nothing but praise for the authors writing ability. In the respect of not liking the characters, it reminds me of R. Scott Baker's books. Love the writing, hated the characters. I am now rooting for bad things to happen to his characters in the Aspect Emperor series..... and that is not disappointing me.....LOL!

Cheers!

I like the characters quite a bit, more than I do in most books. And I love the "slowness" that lets us understand the characters, wherein some people think that little or nothing is happening. Far more interesting for me than fight scenes, action or a fast moving plot (and yes I'm serious). Just different tastes.

As far as things happening, I haven't read the books in quite awhile, but

Spoiler:
    We learn about Kvothe's mother's side of the family, a lot about namers and shapers and how the world got to be the way that it is. About good intentions and how they can go horribly wrong and we see glimpses of a huge and terrible tragedy. And the person who is almost certainly an angel, I quite like her too).
    Last edited by AmethystOrator; February 15th, 2014 at 07:32 PM.

Enjoy reading your posts AO. Like you said.... just a matter of taste for me. One of the things I really enjoy about this series is some of the irony involved with intentions. Yes.... the road to hell is definitely paved with good intentions in this series!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by kempster View Post
    Enjoy reading your posts AO. Like you said.... just a matter of taste for me. One of the things I really enjoy about this series is some of the irony involved with intentions. Yes.... the road to hell is definitely paved with good intentions in this series!

Cheers!
    Thank you kindly kempster, I've enjoyed speaking with you as well. And I'm glad you concur in regards to the taste aspect. I've seen well thought out opinions by both people who like and dislike this series, I hate to ever see it devolve into a "I'm right and you're wrong" sort of a conversation. Meanwhile the irony, yes. I like the characters too much to appreciate that aspect as much as some do, but it's certainly there and in the theoretical I believe I can see the appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by AmethystOrator View Post
    Thank you kindly kempster, I've enjoyed speaking with you as well. And I'm glad you concur in regards to the taste aspect. I've seen well thought out opinions by both people who like and dislike this series, I hate to ever see it devolve into a "I'm right and you're wrong" sort of a conversation. Meanwhile the irony, yes. I like the characters too much to appreciate that aspect as much as some do, but it's certainly there and in the theoretical I believe I can see the appeal.
    Bold mine.... Agree 100% AO. And yes..... ashamedly.... I have been party to some of those types of conversations. Usually when people are trying to explain why Robert Jordan or GRR Martin are so much better authors than Steven Erickson..... but I digress.....LOL.

I will definitely get the next installment of the kingkiller chronicles whenever Rothfuss gets it out. He is definitely one of the most talented authors in the Fantasy (or any for that matter) genre.

Cheers AO...... sorry if I was a bit longwinded, but I am heading back home from Afghanistan..... and I am pretty freaking excited about that and that has kind of led me to ramble.

Blog Entries
    Anyone tried to read Rothfuss' contribution to the "Unfettered" anthology? I tried. I may try again, but wow... maybe I won't. I am very much hoping the the third installment of the KKC reminds me more of NoTW (which I loved) than WMF (which I just ...didn't love). Trying to read that short story didn't raise my hopes any. I hope it's a very pleasant surprise when it does finally come out.

Quote Originally Posted by kempster View Post
    Bold mine.... Agree 100% AO. And yes..... ashamedly.... I have been party to some of those types of conversations. Usually when people are trying to explain why Robert Jordan or GRR Martin are so much better authors than Steven Erickson..... but I digress.....LOL.

I will definitely get the next installment of the kingkiller chronicles whenever Rothfuss gets it out. He is definitely one of the most talented authors in the Fantasy (or any for that matter) genre.

Cheers AO...... sorry if I was a bit longwinded, but I am heading back home from Afghanistan..... and I am pretty freaking excited about that and that has kind of led me to ramble.
    Thanks again kempster. I can understand that sometimes you just can't control yourself, but for Erickson?!?

And no problem, I didn't think you longwinded, usually I'm the one being accused of that. I can imagine heading back from Afghanistan must be a great feeling. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Andor View Post
    To be honest WMF doesn't really answer many questions, and not a whole lot happens, I remember thinking as I finished it - nothing has really happened in two books yet they have become one of my favorite reads of all time.

Think his main strength is in his writing, Kvothe could be watching paint dry or grass grow and it would still be interesting.
    This seems the closest to my opinion as well, although there is thankfully no paint drying. The books are rather slow (both of them in my opinion), but exceptionally well written. Things definitely do happen, but it wouldnt be enough with lesser writing.

I am not sure its worth continuing either book if you are bored after a sufficient read to get a feel for it. That said, I'm one of those folks that thought book 2 was more or less what I expected after book 1 (I know many disagree), and I have trouble understanding why someone that liked book 1 would give up in the middle of book 2.