Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for more authors like Mark Lawrence

I'm finished with Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire series, Prince of Thorns, King of Thorns, Emperor of Thorns and I'm a bit sad to have no more Jorg, and I'm looking for more novels like these.

For me, Lawrence put the heart back in fantasy--and I want more. I'm a bit tired of the light and fluffy stuff that feels like it's for children.

Here are a few characteristics (among many) that I really appreciated about his books:

-grown up story telling that works on many levels (it's great to feel a book has depth to it and is offering insights not as a main course but there for the clever reader to take)
    -adventurous and fun (some fantasy novels are just so pointless--not what I want--but at the end it is entertainment and I want to be entertained)
    -characters for whom I can sympathize, even though they may be deeply flawed--I want the characters to be real humans, not cut-outs taken from a D&D game
    -characters that I feel like I get to know well, not necessarily personally, but on the page
    -character banter and some light moments instead of being dark all the time
    -plenty of swearing (I especially hate anachronistic swearing in fantasy but of course that only happens in HISTORICAL fantasy, I like the characters to feel real, not off a Disney movie)
    -no explicit sex (implied is fine, but some authors just get way too carried away with being explicit, and I'm not looking for that in a fantasy novel)
    -passion, danger, and excitement
    -evocative world-building
    -good pacing (never once did I feel like it was dragging, which I do sometimes sense in other books, and read on, hoping that it will get better)
    - powerful prose that makes me feel I'm reading a book for intelligent people

And Mark, if you happen to read this, what other authors or series would you recommend?

Thanks for any suggestions, anyone!

I guess Joe Abercrombie is the way to go, if you have not already read his stuff that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Andor View Post
    I guess Joe Abercrombie is the way to go, if you have not already read his stuff that is.
    I've read some. It's not bad but I didn't find it similar to Lawrence. Third person for a start and felt very bleak. Plus I'm not big on torture scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by John_PQ View Post
    I've read some. It's not bad but I didn't find it similar to Lawrence. Third person for a start and felt very bleak. Plus I'm not big on torture scenes.
    It's not first-person, but perhaps Brent Weeks' "Night Angel Trilogy" will fit the bill for you? It has MOST of the items on your list, especially when it comes to great pacing, fun/adventurous tone, and characters you can care about.

If first person POV is a must...well, it's a stretch to call it "similar to Mark Lawrence", but Robin Hobb's "Farseer Trilogy" has grown-up themes, strong prose, and probably the best characterization I've read outside of Martin.

The closest you'll find to Mark Lawrence's work is Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. It is first person, the character is flawed, the themes are adult, it involves an adventurous quest, and the characterization is top notch.

Bold mine........... Sand dan Glokta is one of the best characters ever!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jab Jab ehhhh..... Jab Jab.......

Just had to give a friendly poke. Still have yet to read Lawrence, but I will. I am not a fan of reading about torture per se..... but I loved Glokta. I often think of the song the "Torturer's Apprentice" from the movie "The adventures of baron von Munchausen" when ever he was the POV.

A torturer's apprentice went his marry way to work one day
    I bend and stretch
    and ply my trade
    making people all afraid
    but things look black
    this noose is slack
    there's no one on the rack but me

Cut off in my prime
    surrounded by beautiful women all the time
    A eunuch's life is hard
    A eunuch's life is hard
    A eunuch's life is haaaaaaaard
    and nothing else

hrmph
    Life is rather like a game, its important that you win
    and though it seems a terrible shame
    if you lie and cheat and sin
    play up and win the game
    and never count the cost
    it matters not how you play the frame
    as long as you haven't lost

If I have enemies who hate my guts
    I've no judge and court to try them
    I pop them into boiling oil
    and then I quickly fry them
    if they forgive me singing hymns
    I try pulling off their limbs
    how quickly they abandon when
    they haven't got a leg to stand on then

I'm a modern man these days I find
    you have to be awfully cruel to be kind
    I'm a modern man you will agree
    it either you or me

Cheers John!

Unreasonable reasoner
    Matthew Stover. Acts of Caine should fit the bill, mostly. The narrator viewpoint shifts around a little, but I don't think it should be a problem and some is first person.

Similar to Mark Lawrence

Hi,

The First Law Trilogy (Joe Abercrombie) is right up your street if you like the brutal elements of Mark Lawrence books. (I think someone said this above)

Hope this helps.

I'm finished with Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire series, Prince of Thorns, King of Thorns, Emperor of Thorns and I'm a bit sad to have no more Jorg, and I'm looking for more novels like these.
    IMHO there is no one quite like Mark. That's part of his appeal.

In the general grouping, though, I'd add Richard Morgan. I'm a big fan of The Steel Remains. And aside from more explicit sex than you might be looking for, it should meet your criteria pretty well. (eta -- Abercrombie will most definitely trip your sexmeter. And I don't know how anyone could really compare Hobb with Lawrence -- very different writers.)
    Last edited by Contrarius; February 17th, 2014 at 11:20 AM.

Personal opinion is if you like Mark Lawrence as much as you seem to you're highly unlikely to enjoy Robin Hobb - they write very different things.

As someone else said, the only thing that's really like Lawrence at the moment is Richard Morgan's fantasy series, but there's a lot of sex in that. A lot.

If you haven't read GRRM that'd be another option. Failing that, if Lawrence reminded me of anyone it's Michael Moorcock, but his stuff is very much of it's time and may not be to your taste.

Mark has a new book, Prince Of Fools, which is also set in the world of Broken Empire. I believe it's due out in June. In any event, I've seen pictures of the ARC on his Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    Personal opinion is if you like Mark Lawrence as much as you seem to you're highly unlikely to enjoy Robin Hobb - they write very different things.

As someone else said, the only thing that's really like Lawrence at the moment is Richard Morgan's fantasy series, but there's a lot of sex in that. A lot.

If you haven't read GRRM that'd be another option. Failing that, if Lawrence reminded me of anyone it's Michael Moorcock, but his stuff is very much of it's time and may not be to your taste.
    I must be an oddity, I like Robin Hobb a lot! Maybe I should try some Moorcock, he does have a lot of books to choose from.

I must be an oddity, I like Robin Hobb a lot! Maybe I should try some Moorcock, he does have a lot of books to choose from.
    Then I highly recommend Blood Song by Anthony Ryan & Name of the Wind by Rothfuss. Blood song in particular was outstanding, a genuine 5 star book.

Quote Originally Posted by Andor View Post
    Then I highly recommend Blood Song by Anthony Ryan & Name of the Wind by Rothfuss. Blood song in particular was outstanding, a genuine 5 star book.
    Almost finished Blood Song & have really enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozziespur View Post
    Almost finished Blood Song & have really enjoyed.
    I had a number of friends tell me Blood Song was pretty generic and they couldn't see what had set the hype machine into overdrive. I tried it and quite liked it, but no more than two of the three books I read before it. I'm lost to explain why some people go into a frenzy over it. It certainly was nothing like Lawrence's work.