Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Game of Thrones Emmy nominations

The Game of Thrones was Nominated for 13 emmys, including best Drama series, best supporting actor (Peter Dinklage), best writing and best direction.

It is outstanding that the emmys gave nods to a fantasy series. Maybe they are starting to recognize that good drama and SF&F are not mutually exclusive. Now if only it can win a couple. I really hope Peter D. wins. I loved him in that role.

Jim
    Last edited by JimF; July 14th, 2011 at 09:36 AM.

Know what always cracks me up about this? Do you know how Emmy awards are nominated? The person who wants to be nominated (or the producers of the show they're in) fills out a form, pays a fee (I know it was $200 last year for the interactive media award, may be different for actors and such), and they're nominated, no input necessary from anyone else. There is then a behind-the-scenes vote that narrows down larger fields. But, all in all, I don't find it terribly impressive or outstanding that they were able to fill out 13 forms and pay their fees in order to get the nominations.

What cracks me up is that some people are so cynical they think all it takes to be nominated for an emmy that all it takes is $200.00 and a form. If that were the case EVERY show, every actor, screen writer, director, producer, production assistant, make up artist and hair stylist would be nominated.

Yes it is an industry award selected by insiders, but they have a long history of not nominating genre shows. Recognizing GoT and Peter Dinklage represents a major shift in the industry's thinking.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    What cracks me up is that some people are so cynical they think all it takes to be nominated for an emmy that all it takes is $200.00 and a form.
    That's not cynicism. It's my understanding of how the process works based on NPR interviews with actual winners and some follow-up research I've done into the process. Admittedly, it's hard to find that information on the Emmy web site, itself. It's possible that once the applications are in there is a narrowing process with DVDs and such mailed out to Academy members with a preliminary vote. But all evidence I can find points to the first step being the form and fee.

And don't get me wrong: If someone were to post a supported contradictory synopsis of the nomination process, I wouldn't discount it. What I have there is the best I've been able to find on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    That's not cynicism. It's my understanding of how the process works based on NPR interviews with actual winners and some follow-up research I've done into the process. Admittedly, it's hard to find that information on the Emmy web site, itself. It's possible that once the applications are in there is a narrowing process with DVDs and such mailed out to Academy members with a preliminary vote. But all evidence I can find points to the first step being the form and fee.
    yes they are very hard to find.

step one: go to the emmys page at www.emmys.tv (you can google emmys to find this)
    step two: type "rules" into the search box
    step three: open the link to the PDF
    step four: read the rules

http://www.emmys.tv/publicdownload/p...d-procedures-0

yes there is an entry fee, and the entrys are self selected by the producer, writer, etc.

members then vote on the entrys to select the nominees. being an entry is NOT the same thing as a nomination.

nominees must make up no more than 1/3 of eligable entries. ie five nominees means 15 entrants.

You are wrong.

Jim
    Last edited by JimF; July 14th, 2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added a link

Thank you for the link. I hadn't found that (didn't notice the search box up there and that PDF doesn't seem to be readily accessible from the drop-downs at the top of the page).

But

yes there is an entry fee, and the entrys are self selected by the producer, writer, etc.

members then vote on the entrys to select the nominees. being an entry is NOT the same thing as a nomination.
    sounds pretty much just like

t's possible that once the applications are in there is a narrowing process with DVDs and such mailed out to Academy members with a preliminary vote. But all evidence I can find points to the first step being the form and fee.
    to me.

Regardless of the process, I have no interest in getting into a pissing match over it. If you want the 50 internet points, I'll give them to you.

More interesting to me is the question (which actually ties all the way back to the beginning of the series when there were the dubious reviews of GoT floating around that pissed everyone off): You say that they're starting to recognize that good drama and SF/F are not exclusive. Were there any shows in the past that really proved that point but were ignored by the Emmys? I'm having trouble thinking of genre shows that were that good. Have they really been ignoring it all these years, or have the SF/F shows just not been that good compared to mainstream stuff?

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm having trouble thinking of genre shows that were that good. Have they really been ignoring it all these years, or have the SF/F shows just not been that good compared to mainstream stuff?

The usual examples I hear mentioned are Firefly and Buffy: or perhaps just Joss Whedon.

But are they as good as 'the other stuff'? There's a debate!

Mark
    Mark

I'm about the biggest Joss Whedon fanboy there is, but as good as those shows were for their target audience, I don't think they're the kind that would win cross-genre awards. Hell, the sheer amount of academic work done per year on Whedon's shows indicate there's a lot of meat on their bones, but to take six episodes and show them to someone who doesn't have genre leanings or to someone who doesn't realize there's a lot going on under the surface narrative...I don't think they ever stood a chance. I flat-out refused to watch Buffy for years....it just sounds really stupid. But I kept hearing about it from trusted sources. Either they had a huge blind spot or there was actually something there. That's how hard a sell it was for a genre person. I can't imagine selling it to your middle-of-the-road Mad Men fan.

From my perspective, divorcing myself from any particularly loyalty to fantasy, I find The Walking Dead much more deserving of awards than GoT. I understand why it excites people at forums like that that GoT should be nominated or that they found it the bestest show ever, but separating myself from the fantasy fan inside, being completely objective, I think there's much better stuff out there.

two that come to mind is the Battlestar Galactica reboot. (although I didn't care for the finale) Falling Skies has been entertaing and Noah Wiley is very good in his role.

Pleased for Dinklage to get the nomination. I thought he stole near enough every scene he was in.

It makes me unreasonably pleased that "A Golden Crown" was nominated Outstanding Hair-styling.

*Sneaks in, avoiding ADwD spoilers*

Speaking as one who was not a fan of Sean Bean, I think he's been very unfortunate to miss out on at least a nomination. I often enjoyed watching things with him in - you'd need a heart of stone and blood of water not to get caught up in Sharpe - but I never rated him as an actor until this show. He blew me away. He's not quite Ned as I imagined him from the books, he's a little rougher around the edges, but I couldn't believe the dignity and integrity he brought to the role. I'd give him an award for that one moment where he watches Arya at her dancing lessons, and then his face drops as he remembers what such lessons lead to.

Which reminds me - no nomination for Maisie Williams? There should be torchwielding crowds descending on The Academy HQ as we speak.

can't believe sean bean wasn't nominated, he was amazing.

and yeah i'm sure all you have to do is pay the sum and you get nominated no matter what. how convenient!

genre shows do tend to get the snub though, battlestar galactica comes to mind, which didn't get a nomination until the ridiculously great opening to season 3 received a nom for writing.

Honestly, with as repetitive and front-running as the Emmy's tend to be -- they love nominating the same people from the same popular shows over and over again -- we should be amazed the show and Dinklage got the major nominations they did.