Unreasonable reasoner

Eccentric, Charismatic or insane

I've posted this before in fantasy and had mixed results, perhaps I can find more of what I like outside genre. Basically it's all about characters that interest me. Plot's important, drama is good, action's fine, but characters are what make or break a novel.

Some of my favorites are...

Tyrion, Jaime and the Hound (along with many more minor ones) - George RR Martin
    Jorg - Mark Lawrence
    Glokta, Cosca, Bremer dan Gorst - Joe Abercrombie
    Caine - Matthew Stover
    Bertran, Ammar, Crispin - Guy Gavriel Kay
    Kelhus, C'Nauir (sp?)- R. Scott Bakker
    Dr. House
    Nick Naylor - Christopher Buckley
    Tyler Durden - Chuck Palahniuk

Authors I'm looking at include Frank Bill, Donald Ray Pollock, and Patrick Dewitt. Any advise for or against plus any recommendations in or out of genre are appreciated.
    Last edited by chokipokilo; June 16th, 2013 at 11:28 PM.

Want to know some interesting novel, could you please post some name of Novel that above characters are related to?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAnderson View Post
    Want to know some interesting novel, could you please post some name of Novel that above characters are related to?
    First three are:
    1/ Characters from George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, first book "A Game of Thrones".
    2/ Main character in Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence... first book "Prince of Thorns".
    3/ Characters from Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy... first book "The blade itself" (Also... I think featured in "Best Served Cold" stand-alone... but years since I read that.)

All three really good books.... there's a pretty strong consensus view supporting that... and I certainly enjoyed them.

Lord of the Frozen Wastes
    Victor Frankenstein: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
    Johnny Truant: Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves
    Frank Chambers: James M. Cain's The Postman Always Rings Twice
    Jack Torrance: Stephen King's The Shining
    Martin Gregory: Charles Maclean's The Watcher

All of which are horror novels, except The Postman Always Rings Twice, which is crime fiction. Of the above I'd recommend The Watcher the most.
    Last edited by CodanOfCanada; September 8th, 2013 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chokipokilo View Post
    Authors I'm looking at include Frank Bill, Donald Ray Pollock, and Patrick Dewitt. Any advise for or against plus any recommendations in or out of genre are appreciated.
    I'm not familiar with Frank Bill but I've read two of Pollock's novels (I think there are only the two) and recently read Sisters Brothers by DeWitt. Good stuff.

You might like:

The Blood of Heaven by Kent Wascom. Unrelenting vengeance, vengeance when it had long since stopped making sense.

Smonk by Tom Franklin. All Franklin's books are good but Smonk has the most insanity and darkness. I had to read it as a black comedy or I would have felt guilty for liking it.

Anything by William Gay