Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered User theonefirestorm's Avatar
    If you want a flawed protagonist not a little but obviously flawed Elvis Cole.The Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais.

THe Monkeys Raincoat, Free Fall, The Forgotten Man, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by theonefirestorm View Post
    If you want a flawed protagonist not a little but obviously flawed Elvis Cole.The Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais.

THe Monkeys Raincoat, Free Fall, The Forgotten Man, etc.
    One of my all time favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlyle Clark View Post
    One of my all time favorites.
    Elvis Cole is one of your all time favorite fictional detective?

Quote Originally Posted by theonefirestorm View Post
    Elvis Cole is one of your all time favorite fictional detective?
    Yes, he is, along with the regular suspects: Spenser, Travis McGee, Dave Robiceaux
    Last edited by Carlyle Clark; April 8th, 2012 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlyle Clark View Post
    Yes, he is, along with the regular suspects: Spenser, Travis McGee, Dave Robiceaux
    It's Not a Series but has a flawed Cop. City Blood by Clark Howard
    Chicago Cop Joe Kiley has made a career of bending the rules, but it's going to backfire.

I've had a lot of fun with Ellery Queen and Perry Mason. They're both rather formulaic but very entertaining. They're also both period pieces but if you like Holmes' Victoian England you can probably adapt to Queen's New York and Mason's LA.

I've read several of the Perry Mason books also. Just thinking about it makes me want steak and potatos for dinner.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you want a change of scenery, Laura Joh Rowland's Inspector Ichiro is a great series. Feudal Japan the first book is Shinju. I think I read the first 6 or 8 novels as quick as I could and then there weren't any new ones to read and moved on and now there are about 12-15 novels in the series. I loved what I read and would like to get back to it but have enough books on my plate currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax12 View Post
    Hello All,,
    I have read the usual (holmes,poirot ) but now i am looking for something else
    Could you please tell me a few great SERIES that I can start with! I am thinking of picking up Jack Reacher!
    I want books with great but a little flawed protagonist!
    Who uses his brains more than his muscle! A protagonist and antagonist with whom i can spend a long time with !!
    One more thing is that if you could recommend a few series along the lines of the TV show , The Mentalist !
    I think the main character in the show is great! Would like a protagonist along the same lines!

I am looking for something with a 'detective' character! one who thinks and deduces, along the lines of poirot etc
    not where the protagonist is a a serious badass who can kick and punch away any trouble that he comes across!

Thank you!

I know that this is well after the fact, however you might enjoy the Mary Russell mysteries. Laurie King is the author; very Holmesian. Start with The Beekeeper's Apprentice. I have only read the first few myself, but they came highly recommended and have not disappointed thus far.

I want books with great but a little flawed protagonist!
    Who uses his brains more than his muscle! A protagonist and antagonist with whom i can spend a long time with !!

You might try the Mary Russell series by Laurie King. First book in the series is The Beekeeper's Apprentice. This series came highly recommended to me and I quite enjoyed the first 3 books so far.

Good Stand alone

I know you asked for series, but this is a stand alone. However, if you enjoyed Sherlock Holmes stories and you like that style of deduction, try out the book "The Sherlockean" if you haven't already.

It is a book of two stories (Think- The Void Trilogy) that are both equally engrossing. I read it a while back and was very pleased. It was almost a way for a surrogate Holmes mystery without reviving the character (Sacrelege!)

Quote Originally Posted by cgw View Post
    Inspector Morse books by Colin Dexter fit your criteria (and are good).
    Wexford books by Ruth Rendell are good.

Some others:
    Lovesey, Peter - British Police procedural - Peter Diamond
    Peter Lovesey wrote another good couple of series about detectives: Sgt Cribb (set in Victorian London) and a series about Prince Albert acting as a detective. Both good, and the Prince Albert series darn funny.

I'd argue that Reginald Hill's Dalziel and Pascoe series is possibly the best modern British police procedural.

Going back a bit if you fancy a police procedural written by a guy who actually pounded the beat and knew what it was all about I'd strongly recommend John Wainwright's "All on a summers day". (24 hours in "life" of a British cop. Really well written, grips from first page to last.)

Lord of the Frozen Wastes
    I only started getting into this style of fiction in the last couple years. From what I've read though I would recommend some of the early pulp classics; Dashiell Hammet's The Maltese Falcon, Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep or for a little more in your face style detective work check out Mickey Spillane's I, the Jury. I, The Jury and The Big Sleep are part of larger series, The Maltese Falcon is not.

If you're willing to try some crime fiction rather than detective fiction James M. Cain's The Postman Always Rings Twice is an amazing and quick read. In some ways it reminded me of Albert Camus' L'Etranger. Or if you want to try a good crime series you could do worse than to pick up Richard Stark's The Hunter and it's many sequels.
    Last edited by CodanOfCanada; August 26th, 2013 at 07:26 PM.

For many a short punchy police procedural (average length about 200 pages) its hard to beat Ed MacBain's 87th Precinct novels.